Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637694 times)

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4455 on: September 06, 2009, 02:43:32 pm »

What do you think about re-attatching limbs or attatching limbs from other dwarves/creatures? I want my Frankendwarf!

While modern science is capable of reattaching fingers and such, I wonder if Dwarves could pull it off. Maybe if you have a Legendary Surgeon.

Frankensteinian creations strike me as more the realm of Surgeon macabre moods.

Gorobay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: September 06, 2009, 03:44:14 pm »

What do you think about re-attatching limbs or attatching limbs from other dwarves/creatures? I want my Frankendwarf!

While modern science is capable of reattaching fingers and such, I wonder if Dwarves could pull it off.

A dwarf would have no trouble pulling it off, but reattaching it...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: September 06, 2009, 03:49:18 pm »

Dressing wounds, diagnosis, surgery, setting bones, suturing and walking with crutches.
Wait, so that's 5 skills that a doctor will learn.  Does this mean that doctors will be super duper tough, mega ultra strong and amazingly fast?  Or will the skills count for a bit less than the other skills?

Also, am I the only one who thinks it could be a good idea to injure a potential soldier candidate, give him crutches and then let him train up his "Crutching" skill to get a nice attribute bonus?

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: September 06, 2009, 04:00:02 pm »

While modern science is capable of reattaching fingers and such, I wonder if Dwarves could pull it off.

A dwarf would have no trouble pulling it off, but reattaching it...

I see what you did there.

Wow, there's a lot of support for the idea of fell / macabre mood surgery around. Has Toady actually said anything about whether there'll be such a thing? I can't find anything...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: September 06, 2009, 04:03:05 pm »

Wow, there's a lot of support for the idea of fell / macabre mood surgery around. Has Toady actually said anything about whether there'll be such a thing? I can't find anything...
I thought it was just a joke, but I fully support the creation of a dwarfenstein during a mood.  I mean, imagine a doctor dwarf becoming fey, grabbing a dwarf, going away for a few months (having collected animal parts) and coming out with a fully functioning monster?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: September 06, 2009, 04:05:03 pm »

There's a mood-related bloat that could certainly incorporate surgery.  Sick operations could blur the line between surgery and butchery, I think.  It would be interesting if the two were linked in some future skill synergy system.

# Bloat237, EVIL ALCHEMY, (Future): Certain of the darker mood dwarves could take over alchemy shops and use the dwarven liver and so on.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: September 06, 2009, 04:57:48 pm »

It would be funny if you could have your aspiring surgeons practice on captured zombies. Then you could give whatever is left to your training wrestlers.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: September 06, 2009, 05:11:17 pm »

It would be funny if you could have your aspiring surgeons practice on captured zombies. Then you could give whatever is left to your training wrestlers.

"Ok Jim, your new arm is all attached and ready to go after that training accident with the *Obsidian Shortsword*.  It might start grabbing for your head now and then, don't worry, it's just after your delicious squishy brains."
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: September 06, 2009, 05:41:12 pm »

Dressing wounds, diagnosis, surgery, setting bones, suturing and walking with crutches.
Wait, so that's 5 skills that a doctor will learn.  Does this mean that doctors will be super duper tough, mega ultra strong and amazingly fast?  Or will the skills count for a bit less than the other skills?

Also, am I the only one who thinks it could be a good idea to injure a potential soldier candidate, give him crutches and then let him train up his "Crutching" skill to get a nice attribute bonus?

Attributes don't work that way anymore.  Somebody else will doubtless find the reference, but, in essence, you will get better at what you do and if you don't use an attribute, you will slowly lose it.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: September 06, 2009, 05:56:16 pm »

yay, dwarvern entestry no longer involves lopping off the head.

As soon as amputations were mentioned, I thought a bug like that would be likely.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: September 06, 2009, 06:20:45 pm »

"Ok Jim, your new arm is all attached and ready to go after that training accident with the *Obsidian Shortsword*.  It might start grabbing for your head now and then, don't worry, it's just after your delicious squishy brains."

Haha, i meant the 'live' zombie minus all it's rotted limbs (i.e. all that's left is a head and torso) to strangle until they get legendary wrestling, not attaching zombie bits to them.

Heh, sometimes communication failures can produce really funny results.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: September 06, 2009, 06:29:38 pm »

Exploding plants: Trees struck by lightning can be very expolsive, Cacti and eucalipti go of like bombs and iirc theres even a plant that relies on miniature explosions to spread there seed thought i am not sure if the last one is true.
Depending on how you define an explosion, I can test something like tha is real: they grow in my garden, less than 30 meters away from were I'm sighting and typing this right now I think. It's not real chemical explosions in this case thou, it's a mechanical phenomena like some springloaded mousetrap, if you disturb a ripe one it breaks apart and curls up so fast and in such a way that it's a small pang (ok, more of a snap maybe) and it throws seeds everywhere. Going around poking them is endless fun for kids.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: September 06, 2009, 07:13:26 pm »

Probably snap dragons Armok.  The pods have a crap load tension on the inside and there is a seam along the top that is very fragile.  Poking the end pops the seam and they curl up.

I don't know about chemically explosive plants, but plants that explode like that and spray poisonous spores everywhere would be cool.  Be a great hazard for the underground areas in mushroom form.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: September 06, 2009, 07:18:00 pm »

There is a real world example, although not poisonous, the puffball mushroom.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: September 06, 2009, 07:27:50 pm »

Probably snap dragons Armok.  The pods have a crap load tension on the inside and there is a seam along the top that is very fragile.  Poking the end pops the seam and they curl up.

I don't know about chemically explosive plants, but plants that explode like that and spray poisonous spores everywhere would be cool.  Be a great hazard for the underground areas in mushroom form.

Could be interesting for Adventure Mode. See some mushrooms growing in caves...

Actually, they could be fun for Dwarf Mode as well. Have plants auto-grow in caves. Maybe you could get a Tower Cap farm going without an UG pool that way.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 1065