Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575463 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4275 on: August 30, 2009, 07:59:53 am »

Maybe Toady should give us a sneak peek at a few of the raws for the updated creatures and stuff. I know he already gave us a sneak peek at the raws back in december, but chances are that there are some changes.

Regarding the antlers, since deer and their relatives drop their antlers annually, maybe there would be a chance for a male deer to drop a pair of antlers on the map during late autumn/early winter?

Edit: Actually, wouldn't this require a whole new set of codes since there isn't anything like this in DF currently. Except maybe environment changes.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 08:09:57 am by smjjames »

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: August 30, 2009, 08:24:58 am »

Will severe wounds to the lower spine result in paraplegic dwarves?

Eventually, will shallow strikes be able to become stuck or entangled in the target's armor, even though they did not reach any tissue layers? This might be especially likely with swords and elves' wooden armor.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: August 30, 2009, 08:26:58 am »

Maybe Toady should give us a sneak peek at a few of the raws for the updated creatures and stuff. I know he already gave us a sneak peek at the raws back in december, but chances are that there are some changes.

Regarding the antlers, since deer and their relatives drop their antlers annually, maybe there would be a chance for a male deer to drop a pair of antlers on the map during late autumn/early winter?

Edit: Actually, wouldn't this require a whole new set of codes since there isn't anything like this in DF currently. Except maybe environment changes.

Do they really?! Why can you tell the age of a buck by the size of his antlers / number of points then?

EDIT: Just read the Wikipedia article and it doesn't mention being able to discern the age from the number of points (also, yes they do drop them). Take Wikipedia with a grain of salt, etc., but I guess this bit of "common knowledge" is mistaken, in case anybody was under the same delusion as me. :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 08:52:12 am by corvvs »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: August 30, 2009, 08:44:58 am »

The way Toady describes it, it sounds like "creature power" is much better scaled to size and parts, but large groups can easily overwhelm a single target with death by a thousand cuts.  Ergo, carp will still be super dangerous, because they spawn in groups of a dozen or so.  And the aforementioned problem of dwarves trying to kill them with bodyslams and then being unable to get out of the water.

I bet giant eagles will become even more deadly than before.  Maybe mountain goats?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: August 30, 2009, 10:07:18 am »

Do they really?! Why can you tell the age of a buck by the size of his antlers / number of points then?

EDIT: Just read the Wikipedia article and it doesn't mention being able to discern the age from the number of points (also, yes they do drop them). Take Wikipedia with a grain of salt, etc., but I guess this bit of "common knowledge" is mistaken, in case anybody was under the same delusion as me. :)

I dunno, maybe hormones?

As for the Giant Eagles, they rarely bother dwarves and would prefer to run. They only attack unless provoked or get too close to dwarves. In fact, their LOS seems to be longer than dwarves. I did have a miner somehow run into a giant eagle (I don't know how it started, only saw the fight halfway over) and the miner simply beat it to a pulp and only had a grey lower spine wound.

Giant Bats and Giant Cave Swallows, now THOSE are to be feared.

The fact that large groups can overwhelm a single target is already in. In fact, I had a whole bunch of recruits (10 or more) dogpile a giant olm, which is the size of a big croc, and slowly strangled it to death. I don't remember if there were injuries or not.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: August 30, 2009, 10:29:53 am »

I think antmen could resurface as a potential threat. Apart from a likely candidate for "unending attacks from below", them ants don't have, or aren't supposed to have feet - meaning their kicks are likely to be at least on par with a spear strike.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: August 30, 2009, 10:31:51 am »

What did toady mean by unending attacks?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: August 30, 2009, 10:35:25 am »

Something like infinite spawns maybe? Sort of like a constant zerg rush or something.

Kind of like survival mode in some games where you face wave after wave of enemies, with one wave right behind the other and they don't stop coming. That's what it sounds like to me anyways.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: August 30, 2009, 11:03:23 am »

Something like infinite spawns maybe? Sort of like a constant zerg rush or something.

Kind of like survival mode in some games where you face wave after wave of enemies, with one wave right behind the other and they don't stop coming. That's what it sounds like to me anyways.

I can already picture the mountains of corpses, body fluids & items lying around.

Anyway, all these talks about gruesome wounds & combat really make me appreciate armor and it's quality. I always just gave my soldiers weapon, shield and torsto part of the armor. Maybe a helmet if they were lucky. Made out of copper. Iron if I had some extra.

Suddenly I got this urge to forge full steel combat gear including things I never bothered to do like gauntlets & leggings.

How could I have been so cruel to my soldiers ??? :-[

*edit* Oh and of course, would be very lovely to see detailed combat logs of the combats my dwarves are in (what amount of details, no idea). The temptation to make a combat arena would jump 1000%.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 11:06:38 am by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: August 30, 2009, 11:04:28 am »

I always make full sets of armor. Then train them. I have never had bad wrestling accidents.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: August 30, 2009, 11:29:51 am »

I always make full sets of armor. Then train them.
I think that should wait for the Magic Arc... :P

One more question I don't remember being resolved - despite all the recent updates to the combat system, are hits still limited to one part per strike? While it's fun that your sword strike takes the multiple layers of tissues and their qualities into account, but it's kinda pointless when your oversized greatsword can hit the second left toe on the front right foot a groundhog and leave the rest of it intact.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: August 30, 2009, 11:30:58 am »

hmm... I don't quite agree with the others here, although waves and the like would be a good idea, I think a rapidly reproducing Ant Hive would be good and attacks happening when they have 10-20 soldiers. Maybe you could stop these by destroying the queen. Maybe underground areas would have several of these and the really intelligent ants - if intelligences occurs and developes with genetics - would use tools and build/dig primative housing
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: August 30, 2009, 11:49:07 am »

*edit* Oh and of course, would be very lovely to see detailed combat logs of the combats my dwarves are in (what amount of details, no idea). The temptation to make a combat arena would jump 1000%.

Perhaps even dwarf on dwarf gladiator fights using beserk dwarves or brainwashed gobbo POW dwarves. Various animal fights (assuming we can see the combat logs of those)... the possibilities are vast.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: August 30, 2009, 11:50:42 am »

"Arena Time" should be an option for dwarfen criminals punishment.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: August 30, 2009, 12:00:10 pm »

He meant creatures continuously coming to the fortress via special features/the underground, as opposed to the current system whereby your underground features only have a given number of creatures in them, and that's all you get.

Will severe wounds to the lower spine result in paraplegic dwarves?

This seems like a definite "yes" judging by what's been said already, since the spine does in fact serve a nervous system function, as Toady has mentioned. Also, doesn't this already happen?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 1065