Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3573634 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4245 on: August 29, 2009, 07:25:48 pm »

toady do you think you might be able to add a number tag to LARGE_PREDATOR much like buildingdestroyer so that with a 3 on large predator they will become extremly visous like the fabled elephants in boatmurdered. (not sure which version they used)

This is something I'd like to see. At 1 they would be as current large predators are, aggressive to any creature that gets too close, and at 2 actively hunting down dwarfs and other races from across the map, like a miniature siege/ambush.

And at 3 they could attack anyone in sight, with little regard to species, sex, or alignment.

Also: Considering the new combat and layers overhaul, Toady, did you run a test with a fully adamantine-clad champion to check if they'll end up invincible? Also, do PCs die from suffocation or burning when they are strangled/burned to death now, or they still just bleed to death?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: August 29, 2009, 07:34:36 pm »

do PCs die from suffocation or burning when they are strangled/burned to death now, or they still just bleed to death?
The reason you usually see people 'bleed to death' on strangles is that you're crushing their throat and making their neck bleed, rather than just keeping the hold at the point where you're cutting off their air supply.

IIRC.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: August 29, 2009, 07:49:52 pm »

But i never actually saw anyone in DF die from suffocation, only drowning, but that isn't strangling anyway.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: August 29, 2009, 07:56:29 pm »

Will it be possible to put some creatures into arena and then make it run lets say 100 times with the same setting?
And then come back after a few minutes and see the results who won how many times?
Or even the full combat reports?

Would be useful for testing balance of specific creatures / materials / weapons / armor types etc.
A+

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: August 29, 2009, 08:04:23 pm »

In adventure mode, strangle once to apply the hold then wait around.  I believe while you have a stranglehold on them they can't breath and will eventually suffocate. 

I'm pretty sure I did it once successfully on an unconscious minotaur way back when.  Haven't checked if it still works.

While you continue strangling yer essentially ripping apart their throat.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: August 29, 2009, 10:15:02 pm »

Right, the more you actively make a strangling move, the more it specifically damages the throat, which actually causes severe bleeding.  I'm not sure I've actually seen anything die of strangling itself either.

Oh, and...  LIVING! BOULDER! BOXING!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: August 29, 2009, 10:20:44 pm »

Well i think its because even if you apply alot of strenght into strangling yourself, the lack of oxygen in your lungs will eventually causey ou to lose strenght and pass out, thus making it impossible for one to strangle oneself.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: August 29, 2009, 10:40:06 pm »

...Because creatures can't attack themselves.  I meant I've never actually seen strangling or suffocation given as a cause of death.  Well, except when a creature's lungs are both damaged, then it'll suffocate.

Unless that was a joke, in which case, well played sir.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: August 29, 2009, 10:57:21 pm »

Intended, yes, but considering the current level of depth being injected into DF's combat, it might not be a joke, and toady is sitting down in his room, laughing at us. :o
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: August 29, 2009, 11:04:07 pm »

This may be part of the combat section, but I would really like to be able to grab people and then move around, dragging them behind me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 11:05:46 pm by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: August 29, 2009, 11:28:20 pm »

This may be part of the combat section, but I would really like to be able to grab people and then move around, dragging them behind me.

Oh, yeah, I was hoping for something like this, too.  Will we ever get a set of combat maneuvers to move our enemies around?  Like, if we're fighting a goblin whose back is to a deep pit, could we have a "push" attack to try and knock him in rather than cause damage?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: August 29, 2009, 11:47:03 pm »

Oh, yeah, I was hoping for something like this, too.  Will we ever get a set of combat maneuvers to move our enemies around?  Like, if we're fighting a goblin whose back is to a deep pit, could we have a "push" attack to try and knock him in rather than cause damage?

This, of course, begs the question of what happens if enemies try this on you.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: August 29, 2009, 11:57:38 pm »

nay, but it raises the question.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: August 29, 2009, 11:58:17 pm »

Fun happens. :)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: August 30, 2009, 12:24:18 am »

You can try to push an enemy already, with a charge attack. I've done it countless times near chasms. The problem is, unless you're flying you do NOT want that charge to miss. And with sufficient strength, you can use the "throw" wrestling manuever to actually throw the enemy. The strength required is immense though, I suppose it was a bug. It did work when I was fighting goblins with a hydra, every fourth or so I tried to throw went flying.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 1065