Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3573522 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4125 on: August 25, 2009, 11:17:20 am »

This may be a little ghoulish, but..

Could you alter the raws to make trees from a vascular material such as, say, entrails? If you do, will they bleed when you chop them down?

Unfortunately vascularity is a property of a tissue, not a material, and trees/plants won't have tissues yet in the upcoming version.

Someone could still easily make a tree-like creature. It would still be mobile though. I know you can slow down a creatures movements in the raws, but not sure about keeping actual movement separate from combat speed.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: August 25, 2009, 12:25:49 pm »

I can't wait for this new arena creature-testing thing. It will be of great use creating new creatures and it will be awesome to just sit back and watch.  ;D
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: August 25, 2009, 01:02:57 pm »

In today's dev_now Toady mentioned dragons with negative size becoming formless ghosts... What does this mean? If I give my dwarfs size -1 will they be immune to attacks and unable to attack... But still able to move things around and do non combat jobs...
Could we make a caste of elves... Like wisps, intangable but useful...

My question about that is: Why is size kept as a signed value in the first place? My first guess is that negative size values are intended FOR things that are meant to be formless/ethereal or something like that, and my second guess is "whoops".

It could be Toady is planning to have negative size denote something (like you say, formless/ethereal).  Signed value for unsigned stuff can help with error detection (in this case, size shouldn't be negative, if it is, something is wrong with the calculation to cause it to overflow).
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: August 25, 2009, 01:54:28 pm »

Such things happen. I asume toady has somewhere a target calculation that calculates the hitchance by the size. As soon in this calculation the size gets negative, which is very likely at signed data types (thanks to overflow) you get a unhitable enemy.

constructions like this:

Code: [Select]
if( hitdice < chance_to_hit){ [...] }

are very often cause of such problems.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: August 26, 2009, 01:35:18 am »

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I dont really want to clutter general discussion with a topic, so...

Quote from: Toady One's Devlog
...to dragons having their sizes rollover to negatives and being treated as formless ghosts as a result.

Does this mean you can set the size of a creature to a negative number in the raws and have it be invincible to damage? Or something completely different?

edit: blah, just noticed this was answered a few posts up. Sorry bout that.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 01:39:49 am by Manifold1 »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: August 26, 2009, 03:03:33 am »

Toady leaked the combat formulæ for 40d, so actually all that would appear in them would be extra bonuses/penalties because the size differences ARE expected to be signed and are what matter.

But then, those're the old formulæ.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #4131 on: August 26, 2009, 09:37:08 am »

The nautical battles sound really amazing...
Won't it be cool when ships are eventually implemented?
Imagine,
The Black Pearl vs. The Kraken!

Or a pack of zombie whales...
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: August 26, 2009, 09:41:44 am »

Yea I bet it would.

Also, I keep thinking the arena is in 3D (I have a big imagination, heh), yet I know it's actually 2D.

Edit: Actually, with the new way the raws work, it may actually be possible to make a boat-like creature. Although it would have to be a submarine as there is no way to make creatures stay on the 'surface' z-level of the water.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 09:44:04 am by smjjames »

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: August 26, 2009, 09:49:57 am »

fighting inside a zombie whale. Whilst climbing up his stomach walls to avoid the stomach acid. This would be epic.

tessy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: August 26, 2009, 09:50:25 am »

An idea:  To make the game a bit more interactive, say during late game, seed a few locked rooms or ancient burial chambers deep within the earth, with awesome treasures within.  Gen random passwords for these rooms, and allow the dwarfs to discover them during strange moods or what not (say during engraving or something?)

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: August 26, 2009, 10:17:21 am »

you mean the passwords shall be names from the dwarven history? like:
the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods:
Clutter god the god of godly gods.

Om Nom nom nom nom

Om Nom nom nom nom as a password would be awesome :D

tessy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: August 26, 2009, 10:18:43 am »

Yes exactly :)  That way it would be random for everyones game and the passes wouldn't be posted all over the forum

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: August 26, 2009, 10:27:17 am »

oh, and those chambers should also be surrounded by impenetrable walls, so you don't just mine in... maybe it should also vary what they contain... eh tessy, might you open a thread on that in the suggestions forum? or maybe in the underground diversity thread... it was your idea, so you make the thread ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:13:04 am by EvilTwin »

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: August 26, 2009, 01:02:49 pm »

Figuring out the password to a hidden room, instead of just mining in through brute force and stubborn resolve seems so... undwarvern.  When a dwarf sees a thick, dangerous-looking door with some arcane mechanism, their first thought should be "let's smash it down and see what's on the other side," not "I wonder what the password is."  It should be possible to mine into a hidden chamber, and the password should merely be to deactivate any traps or eliminate any creatures that would otherwise defend it.  If you don't mind dealing with the HFS on the other side, go ahead and mine away.  Just set up a ballista first...
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: August 26, 2009, 02:47:04 pm »

you mean on the other side could be something like this:?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

heeya!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 02:49:58 pm by EvilTwin »
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 1065