Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575289 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4095 on: August 23, 2009, 09:39:01 pm »

If you can't play fortress mode because your netbook sucks

This is the internet, No one blames a non-functioning game on their non-functional computer.

Goodness is there no example I couldn't use right now?

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: August 23, 2009, 09:59:47 pm »

If you can't play fortress mode because your netbook sucks

This is the internet, No one blames a non-functioning game on their non-functional computer.

Goodness is there no example I couldn't use right now?

Heh, I think your universal translator is broken...

I didn't say the game didn't function, I said I couldn't play it.

My definition of "play" is something like 15-30 fps on average or better. My netbook can't "play" fort mode to my standard. If arena mode requires less resources, it may be able to "play" something DF related to my standard on the go.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: August 23, 2009, 10:03:58 pm »

My netbook can't "play" fort mode to my standard

No I think what you mean, being the internet and all, is that Dwarf Fortress can't play on your Netbook.

Rule of Internet on Hardware: It is always the software's fault for not working even if you don't meet the system requirements.

Goodness... I should stop this line of joking. People may think I am refering to Dwarf Fortress when my allusion is to The Sims 3 and other games.

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: August 24, 2009, 03:23:10 am »

???

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: August 24, 2009, 03:57:05 am »

This new arena mode will not only allow you to massacre harmless creatures with your uber-OPed mods, but lets you make a benchmark to balance them to df standards, keeping your game fun
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: August 24, 2009, 04:35:35 am »

It may come in handy when deciding whether to sortie out or remain ensconced during a siege.

like: what chances will my 10 hammerdwarfs have against that horde of goblins . . . or megabeast X.

It would take away alot of the fun stuff if overused, but when breaching some pocket of evil underground stuff, it may prevent some scumsaves in case of unexpected mortalityrates.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: August 24, 2009, 07:03:34 am »

Perhaps ensconcing the mode behind an amusing password/code (armok, urist, and hiddenfunstuff are obvious options, though I'm sure Toady might come up with a better one) would be a good idea.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: August 24, 2009, 07:10:21 am »

Perhaps ensconcing the mode behind an amusing password/code (armok, urist, and hiddenfunstuff are obvious options, though I'm sure Toady might come up with a better one) would be a good idea.

And then the password/code would be leaked all over the forums, making it moot.

Really though, the arena thing sounds like a cool way to test out mods or mess around with the raws.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: August 24, 2009, 10:06:35 am »

And then the password/code would be leaked all over the forums, making it moot.

oh well, same issue with HFS. i haven't played a map with HFS yet, but i know exactly what will happen when i dig to deep... the spoiler tag doesn't help much there.
another variation: type the first of the two random words on top of the title screen to get to arena mode. is more... dynamic :D

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4104 on: August 24, 2009, 01:23:17 pm »

What would the point of that be? If you wanted HFS to not be revealed until you found it, you could keep track of if these (or others with a similar designation) have appeared to the player in the game with a little list, and only allow you these in the arena after you've seen them. Unlockables (woo. yay. </sarc>  ;)) and HFS with a quick, simple alteration. It could even work with items and materials O.o

Edit: It could also work with Legends mode. As it is the options are reveal everything, or find things out in-game by asking, but it could censor events by putting in things like "The army was led by an unknown entity of great and dark power and..."
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 01:28:35 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: August 24, 2009, 03:19:14 pm »

good point there.

but i hope toady won't have this arena mode in the next release, so we have the new wounds stuff as fast as possible :) i mean, those things that are stated in the very first post of this thread are already as awesome as one could wish, i think. also i don't think another mode would be save-breaking, so it's easy to add in later on

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: August 24, 2009, 03:20:51 pm »

Arena mode helps him get it done faster, because he can avoid playing for hours just to make sure that the wounds work correctly.  It's a dev tool. Extremely important.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: August 24, 2009, 03:28:30 pm »

Not to mention fun  :D

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: August 24, 2009, 03:31:21 pm »

Arena mode helps him get it done faster, because he can avoid playing for hours just to make sure that the wounds work correctly.  It's a dev tool. Extremely important.

Indeed. It'll be helpful for modders, and probably fun in general, but that's all just icing on the cake compared to the time it saves Toady in testing new creature/material/combat changes..
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: August 25, 2009, 03:02:12 am »

Indeed. It'll be helpful for modders, and probably fun in general, but that's all just icing on the cake compared to the time it saves Toady in testing new creature/material/combat changes..
And hydra. Much faster to go "poof here's a hydra" and knock its...one of its blocks off, then gen...la ti da...reject...hmm, stop early year...check legends for hydras...crap, they're all dead.

Though I imagine Toady has tools that would not require him to do such, I suspect the arena mode will be much superior to them.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 1065