Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638153 times)

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4005 on: August 20, 2009, 11:31:52 am »

...you'll know where this discussion of mesh armors vs. plate armors vs. lamellar armors is going to go if Toady ever goes there, right?

On July 3 2015 ToadyOne wrote on the DF Devlog:

So I added the ability to specify the material and diameter of the rivets holding the rings of the maille together in the raws.  That in addition to last weeks added raw support for specifying custom maille weaves should flesh out the chain armor enough for this release.  I'd still still like to have the ability to support half-stamped maille Roman style, and the apocryphal Persian maille weave caused the game to crash when I tried it, but this is a fair middle ground.

Lamellars and scale maille are in, too, with the option of designing your own scale shapes in the raws using ASCII art; the armor subunit area vs. damage code I threw in under the radar last release finally does something.  This should fix the problem of the hackish bodkin armor heads from December piercing ALL armor types too easily.

Nest up is using dentition definitions in the raws to specify what a creature can eat instead of merely syaing what they eat in the raws.

The sad awesome part is that isn't totally unreasonable.

+10 bonus points for anyone who caught the maille joke in there.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4006 on: August 20, 2009, 11:35:29 am »

It depends on how far Toady has taken the material properties into combat damage. The pick breaks stone because it applies a large weight onto a small point. If Toady has worked the proper factors in, the pick's impulse applied to a small damage area (these are in, as far as I can tell) will overcome the rock's impact yield, and since it cannot be dented like metal, it will shatter.
Quick interjection: subsurface mining in real life with a pick, where explosives aren't used, is usually accomplished with the help of a sledgehammer (and probably a chisel). The sledge fractures the rock, and the pick is used to clear away the weakened sections more rapidly than could be accomplished with the sledge alone. I've always imagined the dwarven mining picks as more of a pick and hammer combination. As far as I understand, that would be possible to mod in to the new version, which is pretty cool.

Using a pick to directly strike the surface of a solid rock wall is a very, very bad idea, as any good rockhound will tell you. At best it will damage the pick and bounce off without really doing much to dig further, at worst it could catastrophically damage the pick, damaging you in the process.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: August 20, 2009, 11:47:16 am »

[Nice post]

The worst part is... in another context, I  could've believed Toady wrote that.
It just lacks some 'hehehe' and a few lines about Scamps political career (2015 seems the right time).

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: August 20, 2009, 02:11:23 pm »

[Nice post]

The worst part is... in another context, I  could've believed Toady wrote that.
It just lacks some 'hehehe' and a few lines about Scamps political career (2015 seems the right time).
Well, *I* actually believed it was alredy in and it was an entry I had missed. then I read the replies and went back and looked at the date...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: August 20, 2009, 02:12:57 pm »

I did the same thing.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: August 20, 2009, 02:53:43 pm »

still wb great... i wanna see that in five years! :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: August 20, 2009, 03:14:10 pm »

I kinda clued in by the fact that I check the Dev logs first before I enter the forums. (that and Next was spelled Nest)

That and some aspects of that post made little-no sense.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: August 20, 2009, 03:40:22 pm »

half-stamped maille

+10 bonus points for anyone who caught the maille joke in there.

Is this it? The maille/mail-mix-up?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: August 20, 2009, 04:00:46 pm »

Nope, that is how you spell it, a little archaically anyway.

It's hard to find info on it out there, so I'll point it out: the "Persian" maille weave is a modern invention, it has no historicity at all.  It is rather dense, not terribly flexible, and difficult to master.  Furthermore, it forms parallelograms instead of rectangles, and has right-handed and left-handed variants.

Just the sort of thing that would tweak out a damage simulation if modeled in detail.

Yeah, I should have proofread that post, but in retrospect, leaving out the usual "hehehe" and a few misspellings ensures no one will take it seriously for too long.

Maille Artisans
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: August 20, 2009, 04:08:04 pm »

With the new wound stuff will the removal of stuck arrows increase bleeding and even make the wound worse? Will wearing silk make it easier to remove arrows?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: August 20, 2009, 04:09:54 pm »

It's always been "mail", at least in English. "Maille" is generally used by people who want to, for some weird reason, pretentiously engage in pseudo-Medieval spelling.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: August 20, 2009, 04:26:55 pm »

Are we ever going to be able to strangle them with their intestines?

It's definitely a goal:
# Bloat136, WRESTLING, (Future): Various ways to involve exposed guts in wrestling. Grab the guts. Strangle with the guts. Flames should affect spilled guts. Guts should remain on the field after death.

Is it possible to hack something off by parts, e.g. You hack at the Tree with your ☼Steel Battle Axe☼x15, the Tree is Felled? Alternately, having three arrows (broadheads assumed) strike precisely and end up severing an arm at the shoulder?

Trees don't have "body parts" yet, if you meant actual trees and not tree-creatures.  I don't know about the gradual amputations though.

Related but separate, would a Stone Colossus (or similar) shatter (or appropriate) due to brittleness on proper strike from pick or hammer?
(Chisels were the original thought, though unlikely that one can apply properly in battle)

Bones can definitely be shattered, so yeah, same goes for stone.

With the new wound stuff will the removal of stuck arrows increase bleeding and even make the wound worse? Will wearing silk make it easier to remove arrows?

Stuck-ins and bleeding came up in the dev log.  Sounds like the answer to that is yes:

01/22/2009: Associated stuck-ins to particular wounds and used that to modify how they behave with twists, bleeding and pull-outs. Twisting won't just keep amplifying bleeding to bizarre levels as it does in the currently released version and leaving items stuck in will actually slow the bleeding somewhat, so just sitting there and twisting should no longer be preferable. I also finished up the subterranean creature definitions and about half of the remaining standard creatures. The mission continues next month.

I highly doubt the silk arrow removal thing is going in, though.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: August 20, 2009, 04:28:43 pm »

It's always been "mail", at least in English. "Maille" is generally used by people who want to, for some weird reason, pretentiously engage in pseudo-Medieval spelling.

According to Wiktionary, it was spelled "maille" in Middle English. That said, there was no dictionary in that time period so there is no such thing as a correct Middle English spelling of anything. "Maille" is still a French word referring to stitches, links or meshes, so it may also refer to mail armour.

However, "mail" is how it is spelled nowadays in English, and the rest of Dwarf Fortress is in modern English, so that is how it should be spelled in DF.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: August 20, 2009, 04:29:31 pm »

Or just happen to live in a country whose language share some roots with french. Or they just want to avoid a confusion. Sure, deflecting a sword with a mail shirt would be confusing.
Meh, we have a very widespread community. Many of us don't speak english as their native language : making a mistake about a word used as often as 'mail' is no big deal.

Anyway, Zorintrhox is right : we'd better be careful about what we say. Toady COULD feel like putting dentition definition in the raws...

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: August 20, 2009, 06:01:25 pm »

Just had a look through Le Morte D'Arthur in Malory's original spelling.  And he uses......

maylle

That's about as good a Middle English spelling as you're likely to find.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 1065