Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638638 times)

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3870 on: August 14, 2009, 04:04:18 pm »

All this talk about dwarves and blowguns is kind of a moot point. From the devlog:
06/28/2009: Weapon types beyond the usual six are now supported by squads and other pieces of fortress mode. This'll mostly come up in mods, but you could also bump into a situation where you would really want to use the many scourges or bows/arrows that are around (if you find yourself under attack after a siege and short on weapons for whatever reason, say).

You want to use them, you can - just kill a kobold raid to get some. You want to build them, make a mod.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #3871 on: August 14, 2009, 04:57:08 pm »

floating chariot

not the best, as you need to know that sandstone was used, and that in modern times it is pretty unheard of to make two pieces fit together with a hair joint with sandstone:
greek masonry precision

composite metal

anyone disputing range of slings, or middle eastern irrigation?

Magna-chariot: Rediculous.
"greek masonry precision": Badly written article, grammatical errors, questionable source

There is no way they could rival the precision of today.
We have microscopic lazorz pumping out parts for Ferrari engines left and right.
It is impossible with the technologies of that time to make anything with a millionth of an inch precision.
Maybe they claimed that back then, but they didn't even know about microscopic bacteria!
How could they know that their precision was that precise, if they weren't even aware of bacteria?

Edit: Sorry about derail.

Toady:
Will bottomless pits still be bottomless? Are they just going to drill right through undergroundy stuffs, or maybe there will be an automatic ring wall wherever this occurs?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 04:59:15 pm by Outcast Orange »
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: August 14, 2009, 05:08:55 pm »

Will bottomless pits still be bottomless? Are they just going to drill right through undergroundy stuffs, or maybe there will be an automatic ring wall wherever this occurs?
This plus:
Or will they originate from the bottom z level and drill up until they hit a caverny area, then stop, leaving them hidden at embark?
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: August 14, 2009, 05:56:09 pm »

My search fu being weak, I cannot pin-point the source of this, but Toady has said that, for the next release, there will be no bottomless pits.  There might be some in the HFS, but at the time, Toady had not finished the new HFS, so he wasn't sure what would be in it.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: August 14, 2009, 06:13:41 pm »

The caverns will probably make up for the loss of those as far as mobs. However, are the chasms not going to be there either? They are pratically the same thing and in fact, a one tile chasm turns into a bottomless pit, giving you two if you have another bottomless pit.

I can understand if the chasms/pits aren't in because it conflicts with some cavern stuff, but still....

EDIT!: Found the post! http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30026.msg540602#msg540602

From that post back in January, it sounds like the bottomless pits/chasms would mess with any possible water features that are found in the caverns.

So.... those chasms are going to be missed by alot of people...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:27:10 pm by smjjames »

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #3875 on: August 14, 2009, 06:47:25 pm »

I won't mind so much, but maybe we can still have pits that go all the way down to the roof of the underground stuff anyway.
You would still have to dig all the way down there, since nobody can survive jumping down a chasm (to the best of my knowledge).

What about lava pipes? Will they be out too?
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: August 14, 2009, 06:56:05 pm »

I'm sure they are in, and besides, you can't have one feature on top of another, so there shouldn't be any problems with them.

Besides, I don't think Toady would remove such an integral feature of the game. The chasm critters certainly won't dissapear as they would have a home in the caverns and are already found in 'cave' systems (more like labrynths than caves).

Something probably should be done to curb cave spider web production because they will cover every possible space they can reach if you let them.

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: August 14, 2009, 08:27:15 pm »

Something probably should be done to curb cave spider web production because they will cover every possible space they can reach if you let them.

Faster decay, probably. How do GCS webs work?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: August 14, 2009, 08:33:20 pm »

No idea, I've only encountered the remnants of GCS webs with the GCS bieng long gone.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: August 14, 2009, 08:52:08 pm »

He means regular cave spiders and yes they do currently cover nearly every tile then can if you can't get to them.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: August 14, 2009, 09:01:07 pm »

He means regular cave spiders and yes they do currently cover nearly every tile then can if you can't get to them.

Exactly, and if they have free range of a whole cavern system, you would have thousands of webs listed under stock inventory.

Right now, there is no decay of the webs, so they will sit there indefinetly until either some other vermin hits it, some creature walks on them and removes it, or your dwarves collect it.

I tried to make the webs dissapear earlier and only ended up destroying cave spider silk clothes as well. So, as of right now, there is no way to make the webs themselves go away without doing something to items made of that particular silk.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: August 14, 2009, 11:16:10 pm »

As dwarves never left the caves and even started making their own,

Dwarves probably have evolved more nasal hair and denser more active whiphairs(?) in the sophagus(?) and maybe even novel biomechanisms to deal with airborne dustparticles.

These filtering adaptations probably affect lungcapacity or at least hinder fast breathing.

In any case most older dwarves probably suffer from silicosis to some degree.

Nah, they have villi that collect the silicon particles in a small pouch in their lungs.  Once a small photosensor in the nose detects enough ambient light to ensure they're no longer going to recontaminate the cave, the particulate solution is expelled.  Under normal circumstances, this is all but unnoticeable - but expelling an overly large volume may end up being somewhat sickening.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: August 14, 2009, 11:29:38 pm »

I'm not really sure a photosensor in the nose is necessary. Dwarves already have photosensors; they're called "eyes".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: August 14, 2009, 11:35:35 pm »

All this talk about dwarves and blowguns is kind of a moot point. From the devlog:
06/28/2009: Weapon types beyond the usual six are now supported by squads and other pieces of fortress mode. This'll mostly come up in mods, but you could also bump into a situation where you would really want to use the many scourges or bows/arrows that are around (if you find yourself under attack after a siege and short on weapons for whatever reason, say).

You want to use them, you can - just kill a kobold raid to get some. You want to build them, make a mod.

It's not a moot point. Toady has specifically said that stuff like blowguns/poison is sort of odd for dwarves and that there should probably be penalties associated.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: August 15, 2009, 01:00:23 am »

So.... those chasms are going to be missed by alot of people...

Aye - not just a classic feature, but for desposing of fluids and garbage and critters, and use as a sacrifical pit for the Temple of Armok.

The Atom Smasher is generally something I try to avoid.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 1065