Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638542 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3855 on: August 14, 2009, 01:52:57 am »

Someone already stated that this kind of thing would make races seem more like lists of stats than actual diverse cultures.

Sorry again smjjames...

Yeah, that's why I'm trying to think in terms of "Why wouldn't dwarves use blowguns?" instead of "how can dwarves be properly-balanced in terms of gameplay?".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: August 14, 2009, 02:10:15 am »

These balances should be determined during world gen by history. A civ that is forced to live by the ocean for hundreds of years will pick up greater inherent skill at fishing than a civ of the same race that lives in the mountains.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: August 14, 2009, 04:23:56 am »

Someone already stated that this kind of thing would make races seem more like lists of stats than actual diverse cultures.

It's just a flexible means of implementation optimised for customization.

I wasn't addressing the "why would X not do Y" save for suggesting such be split between biological(can not) and cultural(will not), and giving a few examples for demonstration purposes.

So, if you decide dwarves, not evolving the phenomenal stamina of hunams(if you were in peak condition, you could run(run, not sprint! Aerobic, not anaerobic) damn near any land animal to exhaustion, even death - canids being one of the few exceptions - even if they're faster at first, you could out-last them over long distance. "Run animals until they're too tired to resist" is a viable hunting tactic for hunams), have inferior lung capacity and thus a biological disadvantage for blowguns, you could put that in there. If you think a dwarf civ wouldn't like blow guns for some reason(they suck compared to the neighbouring hunam tribe - see above - and don't like to look bad?), or would see them as a taboo weapon(a race they hate using them is a good reason to demonise them, as well as poison), you could add a further cultural hindrance or even a ban - a ban being for things that a critter will refuse to do. Like you'd prolly refuse to eat the still-warm corpse of your mother, maybe even if starving to death.

Critters doing activities with cultural hindrances would prolly get bad thoughts('was embarrassed to be seen training with an un[man]ly weapon recently'), atleast at first('I'm so awesome I bet I could kill a dragon with this diddly little blow-stick!'), tho some variables related to the why might be interesting, say, for the thoughts they'd get using a wimpy weapon verses one reviled because a hated enemy uses it. As for taboo skill bans, well, maybe you'd see some [dwarves] willing to do it anyway, albeit not without a(n initial?) bad thought, and maybe social consequences(dwarves that feel particularly strongly about their culture/that taboo more likely to form grudges with a [dwarf] they see doing an activity that violates it?)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: August 14, 2009, 04:34:57 am »

As dwarves never left the caves and even started making their own,

Dwarves probably have evolved more nasal hair and denser more active whiphairs(?) in the sophagus(?) and maybe even novel biomechanisms to deal with airborne dustparticles.

These filtering adaptations probably affect lungcapacity or at least hinder fast breathing.

In any case most older dwarves probably suffer from silicosis to some degree.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: August 14, 2009, 05:13:34 am »

floating chariot

not the best, as you need to know that sandstone was used, and that in modern times it is pretty unheard of to make two pieces fit together with a hair joint with sandstone:
greek masonry precision

composite metal

anyone disputing range of slings, or middle eastern irrigation?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: August 14, 2009, 07:55:31 am »

There's nothing particularly remarkable about the ingredients of a specific kind of steel being lost. I mean, unless it was some sort of magical super-steel, and it wasn't. It was probably good for its TIME, but yeah.

I also can't find anything on that link about floating chariots, or floating anything at all, unless you can point me to a quote.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: August 14, 2009, 07:55:51 am »

It would seem that flaying is on the cards with the recent update stating that flesh can be sheared if cut at an angle
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: August 14, 2009, 08:07:16 am »

There's nothing particularly remarkable about the ingredients of a specific kind of steel being lost. I mean, unless it was some sort of magical super-steel, and it wasn't. It was probably good for its TIME, but yeah.

I also can't find anything on that link about floating chariots, or floating anything at all, unless you can point me to a quote.

It's in the fifth footnote on page 524 (the one you see first when you click the link). But yeah, it seems uncertain at best whether such a chariot as described ever existed.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: August 14, 2009, 08:21:17 am »

OMG Romans had maglev chariots!!111111

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: August 14, 2009, 08:36:15 am »

floating chariot

not the best, as you need to know that sandstone was used, and that in modern times it is pretty unheard of to make two pieces fit together with a hair joint with sandstone:
greek masonry precision

composite metal

anyone disputing range of slings, or middle eastern irrigation?

Making slings like that is kind of a lost art and they had to be very good at irrigation in the middle east in order to survive in the desert. There is a saying that neccessity is the mother of invention.

Then again, they made bows for war back then and worked to maximize their distance and whatever.

Both the greeks and romans were great engineers and ahead of their time in some aspects.

Anyways.... /rerail!

I'm just wondering how come some of the stuff in the venom section were put off?

When will we see a sample of the combat text? It will definetly be cool to see the combat text in fort mode Plus it could also solve some mysteries.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 08:46:10 am by smjjames »

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: August 14, 2009, 08:45:01 am »

OMG Romans had maglev chariots!!111111

The way I understand it, it wasn't a real chariot. It looks more like a chariot-shaped compass to me.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: August 14, 2009, 09:57:02 am »

Lead is poisonous, but you would need rather a lot of it to induce a quick fatality.

Nah, just enough to make an axe out of :)

When will we see a sample of the combat text? It will definetly be cool to see the combat text in fort mode Plus it could also solve some mysteries.

A sneak preview of the wound descriptions would be appreciated too  ;)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: August 14, 2009, 01:26:19 pm »

You don't have to justify they lack of Dwarven ability with Blowguns so much.

However their lack of Blowguns is easily explained as they simply don't know what they are or how to make them.

Bows however are a bit more iffy (though more easily explained as the Dwarf lifestyle making Bows very poor weapons)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: August 14, 2009, 01:46:48 pm »

Combat text continues to be in progress. It's mostly about contracting many little recorded events and pulling out the important ones to cut the number of sentences down and to try to make interesting single sentences out of several events when it can.... Or more colorfully, handling events for compound fractures being pushed out through previous gaping wounds or hanging flesh after a sharply-angled hack, that sort of thing. These will come up in the new dwarf mode combat logs as well as adventure mode. Anyway, I'll spend a bit more time on it and then continue on to finishing this entire section off.

Come on Toads, you've got to show us something as soon as this is sort-of working.  Something, Anything.  Pleeeeeeaase!!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: August 14, 2009, 02:33:11 pm »

A video of an adventure trying out the new skin layers and stuff on a person would work nice.

Slice and dice.
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 1065