Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638521 times)

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3840 on: August 13, 2009, 03:56:17 pm »

Not sure about this one either, but maybe dwarves just don't have a lot of resistance TO biological toxins. In the real world, humans do because they spent their entire prehistory eating weird stuff they found growing and on the ground, so we've basically got super-livers.

Are you kidding? Dwarfs would be super-humanly resistant to poison.. they LIVE off booze which is poison. If that being the case, then of course they wouldn't make much use of them - because they don't see them as effective.

Also what you describe as human history sounds a lot like dwarven history could be considered, in addition to living in dirty, stinky tunnels their whole life.

Lastly if anyone brings up Dwarf rouges from WoW I will persona.. well, something bad will might happen to you somebody...

kaiosyne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: August 13, 2009, 04:48:42 pm »

i played a dwarven rogue as my first wow toon, strangely enough. in D&D, dwarves get a +2 racial to constitution and +2 to fortitude saves involving poisons, ect. it translates roughly to +15% poison resistance and an extra hit point per level (because in D&D, poison is handled within the hit point system as damage to attributes such as constitution). this is PROBABLY based on tolkien's novels indirectly. in human terms, dying 15% less often from poison is really AWESOME if you have a 10% lifetime chance of being poisoned to death

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: August 13, 2009, 04:52:02 pm »

Yeah, I thought the idea was just that dwarves are as tough as well crafted adamantine nails, and therefore can shrug off some poisons.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: August 13, 2009, 05:32:15 pm »

Doesn't stop them from using poisons if they wished to. Even if they don't use it much themselves, I'm sure there are other applications for them. Venom is already a trade good in fact.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: August 13, 2009, 05:38:23 pm »

Maybe they don't use it is simply because of the different style of attack. I mean, Dwarves are Bezerkers in its purest form. They rush into battle, without any tactics or formations whatsoever. Of course they don't use poison just because they see true combat the only combat.

Just look at the madness statistics. They get fey moods or go tantruming all the freakin' time.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: August 13, 2009, 05:42:57 pm »

While I think other species can do that, the dwarves have the unique Martial Trance, which is great for attacking multiple enemies.  Unfortunately the only time dwarves usually get it is when they're under extremely heavy crossbow fire, and they usually die anyway.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #3846 on: August 13, 2009, 09:16:47 pm »

I would really like smjjames to post even one link to prove any of the what he stated.
Do you really believe they created a hover-chariot?
Or can cut with greater precision than a millionth of a centimeter?

EDIT: Sorry smjjames...
Jamoecw, my question stands.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:08:31 am by Outcast Orange »
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: August 13, 2009, 09:34:08 pm »

A link to what? Maybe you should try the search function?....

If you fail at it, here:
As for the venom as a trade good, don't tell me you haven't seen snakeman venom or GCS venom bieng traded by the merchants.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 09:57:46 pm by smjjames »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: August 13, 2009, 10:40:37 pm »

romans had some method of having a full sized metal chariot not only float in mid air with no strings, but gradually descend while moving forward, as if it were gliding to earth.

I found a lot of this post sort of iffy, but this?

How exactly can a full-sized metal chariot "float in mid air"?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: August 13, 2009, 10:47:11 pm »

Because with the Romans you have paved roads.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: August 13, 2009, 10:55:48 pm »

Because with the Romans you have paved roads.

Maybe if you tossed it off a cliff it would float in mid air, hehe.

Seriously though, you'd need powerful magnets in order to do this and they didn't have the technology at the time. I'm not buying the thing about metallurgy though. Lost techniques, maybe. As for precision, the romans were pretty good engineers, so they probably had pretty good precision, but not to the extent jamoecw stated.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: August 13, 2009, 11:01:45 pm »

Well if the Chariot had a pretty long Wingspan and pretty small sheets of metal I could see it happening. Plus if the Horse was REALLY fast.

Though I retain that the "Flying" was likely the Chariot being rather calm on the ground due to the roads and good construction practices. In a similar way to how people refer to their cars as "Gliding"

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: August 13, 2009, 11:12:59 pm »

I would really like mrjjames to post even one link to prove any of the what he stated.
Do you really believe they created a hover-chariot?
Or can cut with greater precision than a millionth of a centimeter?

You're confusing smjjames with jamoecw.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: August 13, 2009, 11:40:08 pm »

The chariot 'flying' was prolly referring to the one that was supposed to be in some ancient temple - a 'magic' trick to impress the devout with the supernatural.

Witness records claim it wasn't held up by rope, but, hell, it could just have been sufficiently thin ropes made too hard to see through proper colouring and lighting.

Their peers did things like spike the wine with stuff to turn your urine red, so their god could 'cure' the 'bleeding'.

read more history, the middle east used to have irrigation down well enough to have a major population, enough to rival europe.
slings were used to hurl gernades really far distances, and even earlier slings were able to outdistance even modern bows.
the metallurgy of metal working civilizations pre steel was able to bond hard and soft metals in ways that we can't do today.
romans had some method of having a full sized metal chariot not only float in mid air with no strings, but gradually descend while moving forward, as if it were gliding to earth.
greek and roman stone working was more precise than what we can do today.

that's just some of the stuff that we don't consider to be just mumbo jumbo, or excessive elaboration.

Many of those claims seem rather questionable, or atleast require deceptive comparisons(ie, "modern stone working is generally less precise than the best that X could do" ...because it's not called for and more precision always means increased cost. Or ...when working by hand/trying to do things the way they used to, not using machines designed to give maximum precision/modern approaches to solving that kind of problem).

However, if you're talking about the comment about us not losing technology any more, that would have, I assume, been in reference into what is known in modern times not being lost as time passes, even as it falls out of use. Because we're kinda obsessed about recording and documenting everything, and spreading these records all around the world(it still does happen, however, but it's mainly just obscure, undocumented or poorly documented stuff - see the efforts by some to document and record ancient native american languages, skills, and traditions that are no longer practiced or going that way, befor the last people with knowledge thereof die out) Not modern people suddenly possessing every technology and skill to ever be invented.

This is kinda an artificial limitation. I can understand them being lousy at it if they had poor lung capacity.

I'd favour a skill efficiency modifier, with complete disabling being less common.

So a dwarf with X skill level in mining(even dabbling) could be much better than a hunam of equal or greater skill. A legendary hunam weaponsmith might average *spears* and the occasional ≡spear≡, while a dwarf of that skill could average ≡spears≡ with the occasional ☼Spear☼.

Goblins, imo, would not have a bonus to weapon making quality, but maybe speed, or weaponmaking skill learning, and their martial bonus being in weapon use, and maybe in the training speed thereof - it could even be 'average' or penalised skill, but faster training.

So each race could have, say, a quality, speed, and training rate modifier for any/every skill, which would represent biological racial bias in terms of ability. A biological skill ban, for example, might be "swimming", for races with high density/high muscle:low body fat ratio - chimpanzees, 'chimpanzee-men', maybe goblins? Prolly orcs.

You could, if you want, then have another set for cultural bias, with taboos being the basis for penalties and bans, while things they'd be familiar with from day to day life would give bonuses - maybe even a chance for innate skill. A hunam from a seaside civ or city might have a change for bonus swimming skill, for example. And while IMO iffy, you might want the option for cultural "initial challenge", for skills that might be alien or taboo or otherwise strange to them, so a dwarf from a desert civ might have additional trouble learning to swim, but wouldn't be penalised after he got over the initial learning curve and could then learn normally. So as culture changes over time, so too can appropriate skill biases.

...Maybe a raw option for a modifier for XP needed to gain a given level instead? So you could do the reverse, and make the first few levels easier, and mastering a skill even harder? For race and culture, prolly.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #3854 on: August 14, 2009, 12:11:59 am »

Someone already stated that this kind of thing would make races seem more like lists of stats than actual diverse cultures.

Sorry again smjjames...
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 1065