Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3624422 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3585 on: August 08, 2009, 07:21:22 am »

Doctor: we ran a full genetic test, and your baby is perfectly fine, except for the incurable 'licking fingers before turning the page' syndrome.

Lady: can't you get rid it?

Doctor: there's no way to get rid of it aside from abortion

Lady: that's what I meant.

I see this coming

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: August 08, 2009, 08:23:20 am »

Do humans really just be born with these tics?  Or do we get them environmentally?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: August 08, 2009, 08:41:42 am »

Do humans really just be born with these tics?  Or do we get them environmentally?
We get most of them in a combination (so genes might prime you towards something, but you still need environmental factors to actually get it).  Potential personality arising from environmental factors might be a bit difficult to implement though...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: August 08, 2009, 10:35:58 am »

Anybody else astounded that Toady decided to make sixty five of them?  Holy cow.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: August 08, 2009, 10:49:09 am »

I would be astounded with almost any other developer, but not Toady, somehow.  By the way:

I'm almost done with the descriptions overall, though it would be easy to sink a lot of time into wound descriptions in the paragraphs given the amount of information floating around now.
Sounds great.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: August 08, 2009, 11:11:11 am »

I would be astounded with almost any other developer, but not Toady, somehow.  By the way:

I'm almost done with the descriptions overall, though it would be easy to sink a lot of time into wound descriptions in the paragraphs given the amount of information floating around now.
Sounds great.

Urist Mcwounded has a deep wound on his third finger, left hand.  It oozes a light yellow puss and menaces with spikes of torn flesh.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: August 08, 2009, 11:48:46 am »

When I read the dev log, sometimes I can only think of a situation where Toady is at lunch with some other game developers, and it goes something like:

Peter Molyneux: So Fable 3 is gonna have, like, three storylines to choose from...sorta.  Okay, so like there will be eight things you can change, but that's 33% more than last time!

Michael Morhaime: Sounds cool, but the next version of WoW will have like, four thousand more weapons you can, you know, kill things with.

Pete: You can smell the depth of the gameplay!

Mike: Hey, speaking of adventuring, how's DF going, Toady?

Toady (calmly picks up his sandwich, and bluntly states): Next release has instructor lead military training, genetic phenotypes, and material based tissue layering.  (Bites sandwich.  Through a full mouth)  Oh yeah, and randomly generated monsters with randomly generated attacks.  Something like that.  But I bet you guys already have all of that, I mean, your games are finished.

Pete and Mike just glare at him.  Tim Schafer pops up out of nowhere with Shigeru Miyamoto playing banjo on his back and gives Toady a high-five.

PS: Yes, I am of the opinion Peter Molyneux is kinda...lame.  His heart is in it, but...meh.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: August 08, 2009, 12:14:53 pm »

PS: Yes, I am of the opinion Peter Molyneux is kinda...lame.  His heart is in it, but...meh.

The man is a peddler of broken dreams.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: August 08, 2009, 12:19:33 pm »

I was surfing back through the devlog just last night, and all the way back in October there's this line-

"...I was going through the skill code and it seems I'll have to find preliminary answers to some deep questions, like "do the undead have souls?"... I suppose the answer should be "it depends", but I'm not doing the undead revision until later..."

How many other games can claim that a question like that is directly relevant to developing the code structure?

I'm aware that Toady's definition of "soul" is more functional than the word implies, but it's still cool.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: August 08, 2009, 12:25:49 pm »

Dwarf Fortress dwarfs other games.

I went there.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: August 08, 2009, 12:55:22 pm »

For a point of reference, and to get people a little more excited (as if that were possible) I screenshotted the whole of the posted dev list and compiled it into a color-coded map of what we have left to wait for, so we can get a better visual feel for what's going on.

...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: August 08, 2009, 12:57:02 pm »

So once that bar turns all green we're good?   ;D

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: August 08, 2009, 01:32:51 pm »

LordZorjfdsmclsk, that's a great idea.

Keep us posted on that, because that's my new favorite thing in the whole forum.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: August 08, 2009, 02:49:01 pm »

When I read the dev log, sometimes I can only think of a situation where Toady is at lunch with some other game developers, and it goes something like:

Peter Molyneux: So Fable 3 is gonna have, like, three storylines to choose from...sorta.  Okay, so like there will be eight things you can change, but that's 33% more than last time!

Michael Morhaime: Sounds cool, but the next version of WoW will have like, four thousand more weapons you can, you know, kill things with.

Pete: You can smell the depth of the gameplay!

Mike: Hey, speaking of adventuring, how's DF going, Toady?

Toady (calmly picks up his sandwich, and bluntly states): Next release has instructor lead military training, genetic phenotypes, and material based tissue layering.  (Bites sandwich.  Through a full mouth)  Oh yeah, and randomly generated monsters with randomly generated attacks.  Something like that.  But I bet you guys already have all of that, I mean, your games are finished.

Pete and Mike just glare at him.  Tim Schafer pops up out of nowhere with Shigeru Miyamoto playing banjo on his back and gives Toady a high-five.

Will Wright:  Yeah well er... my sims can leave the house now, so yeah!  I mean, the player can't see inside the buildings and the actual range of things you can do outside has been cut down to very little but they can actually go outside!

I can't play other games like I used to, anymore.  They all seem to have been made so... half-heartedly... compared to DF.  Like the "awesome recolouring options" for Sims 3, that for some reason randomly don't include the staircases or chimneys.  And like in Anno, where you can't make glass until fairly far into the game, and yet your first set of peasants live in houses with glass windows.

Damnit Toady, why did you ruin every other game in the world for me?
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: August 08, 2009, 02:58:14 pm »

For a point of reference, and to get people a little more excited (as if that were possible) I screenshotted the whole of the posted dev list and compiled it into a color-coded map of what we have left to wait for, so we can get a better visual feel for what's going on.

It's a shame you didn't have that idea long, long ago, then you could have made a diagram like that but with a time dimension as well.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 1065