Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3624297 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3540 on: August 06, 2009, 07:54:29 am »

Happy Birthday ThreeToe! :) Although slightly late as I didn't know his birthday was yesterday.

Anyways, about the rope stuff and spelunking, I've been thinking that since dwarves spend so much time around caverns and tunnels, they would have developed spelunking into an art form.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: August 06, 2009, 07:59:40 am »

Dwarven spelunking consists of taking a stout swig of sewer brew, leaping into a chasm, hopefully hitting ground soon enough to not be completely smashed, then carving some stairs back up.  Developed from accidental mining.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: August 06, 2009, 10:23:12 am »

happy birthday to Zach!

about world age and birthdays:
problem0: species are seeded as full fledged adult communities at year 0.
solution 1 : have adam/eve/urist(henche primarch) appear as infants.
solution 2 : have primarchs appear adult, but with age 0 at age 0.
solution 3 : have primarchs appear X years after year 0 (say, the Age of Creation)
solution addendum: have infant primarchs age to maturedom in a new intermediary age (say, the Age of Innocence) in which no creature can kill another. age ends with first death, only adults can kill. Species being seeded should be timed so that average coming of age of all species falls in a similar period.   (thus slower aging species will need to appear earlier)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: August 06, 2009, 10:59:28 am »

I'm not sure why this is a problem?  (Ok, when you stop worldgen at 30 or even 300 it's a bit wierd, but assuming you let it run for a thousand years or so, all the artifacts go away)

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: August 06, 2009, 01:01:58 pm »

happy birthday to Zach!

solution 3 : have primarchs appear X years after year 0 (say, the Age of Creation)
solution addendum: have infant primarchs age to maturedom in a new intermediary age (say, the Age of Innocence) in which no creature can kill another. age ends with first death, only adults can kill. Species being seeded should be timed so that average coming of age of all species falls in a similar period.   (thus slower aging species will need to appear earlier)

Doesn't this part of the devlog

it'll now display a dwarf's birthday and his or her age in the description, if the world is old enough for that to make sense. Otherwise it'll just put the effective age.

answer your question?

Also I have no idea where this goes so I might as well stick it here: The Forum link on the Manual http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/help/main.html page of the DF website links to http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi not the current forum address.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: August 06, 2009, 02:13:03 pm »

happy birthday to Zach!

No offense here, but is it possible to avoid Abrahamic tradition with creation and all?  The world doesn't have to start off with a "everyone is friends and let's not kill anything in a paradise with two first-borns" age.  A popular theme in beliefs, to be sure, but certainly not the only option.  The world could just as easily begin with utter chaos and war between divine factions.

In any case, due to DF's nature, such beginnings would be better if randomized so as to include all sorts of beginnings.  And I agree just plopping things down at year zero with no explanation is kinda weak, though there are plenty of examples of races that just, you know, are kinda there from the beginning.  Angels are never created, they are just there.  There is also little explanation for the Vanir in Norse belief.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: August 06, 2009, 03:13:30 pm »

Alternate creation theory?

World gen starts in negative years.

say, year -1050 for posterity's sake.

Gods are at war, whenever one is "Struck down" it retreats and leaves a Civ in it's image to continue on its work.

So a god associated with dwarves will leave dwarves, elves will leave elves ect.

This also means that there will be vengeful gods roaming the world while playing, which I do believe was a bloat, and will set up some interesting sphere conglomerate-civs.

I.E. a god associated with humans and the ocean makes a Civ of Humans who live on huge ships, and sail the world.
A god of Dwarves and Sunlight make dwarves live like humans, and have land-adaption.

A god of Dwarves and Elves would leave *shudder* Dwelves.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: August 06, 2009, 03:30:01 pm »

How about Evolution? First people only appear after some years, as they, well, evolved from other animals or something.

''Rhesus Macaque -> Elves'' anyone?
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: August 06, 2009, 03:32:16 pm »

Knowing my luck with worldgen, I'd get nothing but animal worlds =/

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: August 06, 2009, 03:50:06 pm »

A god of Dwarves and Elves would leave *shudder* Dwelves.
I vote that we shall not delve into this any more, nor dwell on it any longer.

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: August 06, 2009, 04:08:56 pm »

How about Evolution? First people only appear after some years, as they, well, evolved from other animals or something.

This would take hundreds of millions of years!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: August 06, 2009, 04:18:58 pm »

I like how people always forget that part.

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: August 06, 2009, 04:48:44 pm »

Yeah and we can't have that, it would be ridiculous. I mean, millions of years, right? That would be, like, having rivers run through the world to erode it and mountains rising and oceans appearing due to tectonic activity.... Such a large-scale thing could never happen in worldgen. Ever.

OH NO WAIT  :P

PS. But to be quite frank, I would personally prefer a creation kind of thing for the game, with a world that allows the occasional forgotten god or demon to exist alongside the more mystic "creators" who left the mortal world for one reason or another... and the ones who preferred to stay. It could lead to great quests for adventure mode (apart from the generic "Oh god demons are killing us DO SOMETHING!") when you finally meet "Urdim GoldThroned, God-Emperor of mankind" who tells you to kill a cyclops or something.
Or you place your fortress in an old elven forest witch enrages the ages-old elven god of trees who slept peaceful inside a great oak... until you turned it into a beer-barrel.

But these things should happen very rarely, or else they become too common, two living god should be enough for a middle sized map, maybe some hidden ones, too.

But in the end it's up to Toady to decide and we will (have to  ;D ) be able to live what he thinks is best for the game.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: August 06, 2009, 05:04:08 pm »

You could always write out a well explained suggestion on the suggestion forums.
If others are interested in the idea it could become popular.

Although Toady already has a LOT of work ahead of him for the rest of DF.

--

Also, when I was reading your post about a 'creation thing', I was expecting some kind of game mode that has the player actually playing a sort of godlike force. Which the gameplay would basically a tamed (and potentially goal oriented) world modification sandbox. Which you could modify the land, help civilizations, even appear to the people and gain followers and such. (Basically screwing around in the world and seeing how modifying the land and such effects the rest of the world, like re-routing a river and such.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 06:05:28 pm by Thndr »

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: August 06, 2009, 05:59:41 pm »

Reminds me of the once-planned game mode in Spore that was to be atomic tetris where you assemble the molecular building blocks of life, then self-replicating RNA (one supposes), etc.

Too bad they went for the painfully cute instead of the deliciously biological.

Also, Black & White was like that, no?
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 1065