Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3623951 times)

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3360 on: July 31, 2009, 08:33:34 am »

Regarding the heat:

I'm originally from Palm Springs, CA, so I know what 120 degrees feels like--I went hiking in that kind of heat once, and when I sat down to take a break, vultures literally started circling over my head.

However, I've been living in Seattle for the past year, and even 104 feels pretty bad now. These houses weren't built for the heat, almost nobody has AC, and the entire city seems to be out of fans. Heat adaptation requires that you spend prolonged amounts of time in hot weather, and I guess I lost a bit of mine after the terrible winter we had here. I can't imagine how the people who've lived here longer than I have feel.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: July 31, 2009, 09:11:01 am »

I'm from San Diego california, so I don't mind the heat too much. I'm in Long Island NY and I'm not used to the cold winter, lol.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: July 31, 2009, 09:54:38 am »

Spent a few summers w/o air conditioning here in NJ.  Hot tip, take a cool shower.  Invigorating!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: July 31, 2009, 10:19:42 am »

or just jump in a random body of water, fully clothed.

Xept for shoes, soggy shoes suck.

Also beware blue algea bloom...usually toxic in stagnant pools during hot weather.

During some recent heatwaves here, I just turned the garden hose on my head. :)
(if in direct sunlight bleed the hose for a while: the water in there can become scaldingly hot!)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: July 31, 2009, 02:36:53 pm »

Toady whenever you reach the point where you introduce books dont forget to take the the the skills of the writter into account.
A old fighter might be a pro in fighting, a good teacher but can be a bad Writter so that the resulting book on fencing (for example) should allow only a to get a average skill rank.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: July 31, 2009, 06:00:07 pm »

unless books are a cooperative effort.
having a writer/scribe do research or compile notes/anecdotes provided by experts.

Writing tutorials and manuals for educational purposes require a different writingskill than just the expertise taught: books written by experts in X generally require Y skill in X to comprehend.

So learning books require a teacher/lecturer author(skill) to write.
While someone with skill in Z can read the research stored in tome D ("advanced Z mechanics").
or "how to tame dragons in 5 easy steps" (req master animaltrainer.)
"Dungeonkeeping for the dapper dwarf", "taxonomy of the herbs of Armourcudgels", "My first pickaxe", "bookkeeping 101" , "Buy! Sell!,  a traders compendium"
;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: July 31, 2009, 06:47:45 pm »

Can we add "sex" as a skill?

what?

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: July 31, 2009, 07:47:35 pm »

Can we add "sex" as a skill?

what?

only if it comes with some uniquely dwarven styles and forms.

*this is a masterful engraving of a dwarf surrounded by dwarves, the dwarves are fornicating with the dwarf*
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: July 31, 2009, 08:28:03 pm »

I think it could get a nice skill. With a catch.

Better they are at sex (excluding they do it by spores anyway), bigger the offspring. So while it could be nice letting them have sex, to advance their repertoire of skills, you don't wanna get too good at it. Imagine the dwarfsplosion at Legendary+5.

Besides, what would they be called anyway? Legendary Sexer?
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: July 31, 2009, 08:29:57 pm »

This is an area of discussion I think we should go away from.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: July 31, 2009, 08:38:45 pm »

Yea, do we really want or need this kind of thing in DF?

True, we do need to get things to work properly, as in not impregnating by spores, but we don't need to get graphic with it.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: July 31, 2009, 08:47:56 pm »

Yea, do we really want or need this kind of thing in DF?

True, we do need to get things to work properly, as in not impregnating by spores, but we don't need to get graphic with it.

Don't worry, there wouldn't be any graphics anyway. It would be ... [DRUMROLL] ... ASCII!

EDIT: Wait, I misread. I see now you meant graphic as in very describing.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: July 31, 2009, 09:11:17 pm »

Actually you dont need "sex" as some kind of skill since you can calculate    all out from the stuff we already have. Variable sizes for reproduction organs, strength, dexterity,thoughtness, sexapeal calculated form the "point of view" of the possible partners by their traits. Maybe one or two knowledge fields will be needed for some kinks like bondage.

Anyway get back to the important stuff. Not that sex is not important :P it just doesnt fit here that well.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: July 31, 2009, 09:32:59 pm »

Uhh, that might be pushing it there, Heph, though a marked improvement over:
I think it could get a nice skill. With a catch.

Better they are at sex (excluding they do it by spores anyway), bigger the offspring. So while it could be nice letting them have sex, to advance their repertoire of skills, you don't wanna get too good at it. Imagine the dwarfsplosion at Legendary+5.

Besides, what would they be called anyway? Legendary Sexer?

For a game that seeks to simulate a fantasy world and deals with things like specific heat, how exactly does this make any sense in even a remotely realistic manner?  UNLESS you mean "more children," which...wait, no, not really.  Still weird.  I mean, just because you can please another person doesn't mean that the pairing will result in triplets instead of one kid.

Considering the Romans had birth control methods that were so effective that they harvested a plant species to extinction in procuring one, I doubt a Dwarven society capable of using the power of magma that is ostensibly at the level of technology of the 1400s would have much trouble at all controlling the birth rate in some manner.

Furthermore the birth rate of a culture is a factor of just that: the culture in question.  Infant mortality, public health, access to effective, affordable medicine, and historical expectations all factor into the birth rate far more than how well you can copulate.  A sex skill would be like having a defecation skill: juvenile, amusing, but really not necessary nor terribly professional.  The only thing it could possibly affect in game terms would be the divorce rate (possibly) and political relations if there was some religious sect devoted to sex, a la Tantra, or an enemy that was very into having/not having sex (sex god worshiping elves comes to mind) in opposition to your civ.  That would actually be interesting to have to play through.

That said, if one wanted to make DF really...well, dark I guess, or possibly add a more gritty real-world overtone, how to control the birth rate would be an interesting game challenge alone, and at least an arguable one for a society sim.  Would you simply allow mothers to dump unwanted children in the garbage pile, or suffocate them?  Institute a Spartan policy that culled the unfit, beardless dwarflings from the population?  Order your alchemists to prepare birth control potions from the rare Tuberous Clover plant, but only the noble elite can afford it?  Orphanages?  Hit-or-miss folk remedies?  State-organized pairings a la Plato's Republic?  Ritual sacrifice?  Hard, dangerous child labor?  Forced sterilization?  Religious dogma?  Pray your dwarf civ simply has a cultural bias against families with more than two kids?  Let them starve?  Those are interesting things to worry about, and given DF's delightful descriptions of battle and players' murderous experiments, the game certainly has the stomach for it.  One could even argue that it would be wrong for a game to model the destruction of individual organs appropriately in a fatal fight, have a race that explicitly is described as cannibalistic, but gloss over the whole issue of creating life by assuming "it all works out."  Nothing in DF ever "just works out."

Forgive the exposition, but I thought it would be necessary to bring a more complete argument to bear before the subject was thrown out the window.  As I alluded to, the geek community is far too accepting of revolting levels of violence and gore but incredibly squeamish when it comes to reasonable sexuality that doesn't exclusively involve impossibly hot warrior babes wearing impossibly slim and down-right uncomfortable looking chain maille battle-thongs.  As is oft brought up in the 'dwarven waste' suggestions, civil engineering isn't all hydro-power plants and grand causeways.  ::)

You may now continue with your regularly scheduled...whatever we are supposed to post in the dev-list, save stupendous amounts of squees and questions. :P
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: July 31, 2009, 09:43:21 pm »

Sex -> new version Skin Tissue -> Accidents

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Who knows. By being better at it, maybe they can extract more ''juice''. And after all, we don't really know much about Dwarven Biology and Anatomy, even though the Dwarven Bible is trying to describe it all.
Dwarves are complex beings. They substitute booze for blood and are resistant to a lot, except reason. So it could be that their reproduction means are a tad different then the Human ones. After all, it is another race we're talking about here, and as long as they didn't cross-breed, their genetic repertoire could be remarkably alien to ours.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 1065