Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3623522 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3255 on: July 27, 2009, 09:15:24 am »

Course, that depends on what said teacher is supposed to teach, teaching people to fight using only your voice to do so should be very hard, but possible.

Is it just me, or did anyone else think of the weirding way.

Muad'dib, his name is a killing word!

I was actually thinking of military drill instructors.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: July 27, 2009, 11:31:33 am »

Course, that depends on what said teacher is supposed to teach, teaching people to fight using only your voice to do so should be very hard, but possible.

Maybe in the bizarre movie.  In the books and the Sci-Fi miniseries, the wierding way was more or less a "normal" martial art, just for people with magic Bene Gesserit training.  The Voice was a totally different Bene Gesserit technique.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: July 27, 2009, 11:40:37 am »

Mmmm, Dwarves using Fedaykin death chants and riding sandworms.

Or if you liked David Lynch's approach, concussive sonic projectors* that can melt solid rock if the right words are uttered into them.

*I wish these existed and had a proper name, not this BS one I made up.

Actually, I wonder if battle chants could ever be implemented; be a fun little thing in a squads profile: "The Arrow of Touring's war chant is '"Wood for the Elven Liege, Floods for the Human Kings, Skulls for the Goblin Siege, BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, TO ARMOK WE SING."
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: July 27, 2009, 12:21:39 pm »

Actually, I wonder if battle chants could ever be implemented; be a fun little thing in a squads profile: "The Arrow of Touring's war chant is '"Wood for the Elven Liege, Floods for the Human Kings, Skulls for the Goblin Siege, BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, TO ARMOK WE SING."

Heh. Probably after the Random Poem Generator.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: July 27, 2009, 03:37:44 pm »

*starts getting all the japanese characters for everything*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man%27y%C5%8Dgana
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katakana
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiragana

as for the romanic letters, i am not sure if it is modern or classical (if it includes j, u, or w it is modern, also not sure if it uses lower case), and the arabic numerals (english numbers) are both normal and flipped.

619 Man'yōgana
68 katakana (only single characters)
75 hiragana (only single characters)
18 arabic numerals (8 and 0 flipped are the same)
37 (41) roman letters, a, h, i, m, o, t, v, x, y are the same when flipped (english letters, u and w are the same when flipped)
39 (44) lower case roman letters, i, l, o, p, q, v, x have issues when flipped (english letters, w is the same when flipped)

with 865 different characters and the green colors EBFFEB, 00FF00, 006400, and the yellow colors FFFFEB, FFFF64, AAAA00, you can make a very comprehensive display, even if you tripled up on the letters and had an icon shift from bright to dim with the yellow only for elites.  as a comparison DF currently only has 256 tiles, so with the new support for making a tile for each object (if i remember correctly), also assuming tiles can be animated (to get the cycle from bright to dim).  i wonder if there is any plans for allowing a different tile being shown for a different task, which would allow dwarves to look like they are mining, or chopping down trees, and if the tiles change based on what is equipped then you can have various armored and shielded dwarf tiles to see generally how you dwraves are equipped (more so than axe dwarf or marks dwarf).

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: July 27, 2009, 05:01:58 pm »

Maybe in the bizarre movie.  In the books and the Sci-Fi miniseries, the wierding way was more or less a "normal" martial art, just for people with magic Bene Gesserit training.  The Voice was a totally different Bene Gesserit technique.

you raise a good point but have you consi....MUUAAAAAD DIB!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 05:05:01 pm by Spey »
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: July 27, 2009, 06:26:34 pm »

as for the romanic letters, i am not sure if it is modern or classical (if it includes j, u, or w it is modern, also not sure if it uses lower case), and the arabic numerals (english numbers) are both normal and flipped.

619 Man'yōgana
37 (41) roman letters, a, h, i, m, o, t, v, x, y are the same when flipped (english letters, u and w are the same when flipped)
39 (44) lower case roman letters, i, l, o, p, q, v, x have issues when flipped (english letters, w is the same when flipped)

with 865 different characters and the green colors EBFFEB, 00FF00, 006400, and the yellow colors FFFFEB, FFFF64, AAAA00, you can make a very comprehensive display

Why not just include all of the Kanji used in Japanese writing? There are thousands in common use alone.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: July 27, 2009, 06:47:16 pm »

I have a book of 2000 common Kanji. I find it VERY useful sometimes.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: July 27, 2009, 06:48:12 pm »

619 Man'yōgana

with 865 different characters and the green colors EBFFEB, 00FF00, 006400, and the yellow colors FFFFEB, FFFF64, AAAA00, you can make a very comprehensive display

Why not just include all of the Kanji used in Japanese writing? There are thousands in common use alone.
mainly because the matrix only uses katanana. [/picky]

LOSNR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: July 27, 2009, 06:49:42 pm »

Just change the colors to different shades of neon green. Leave the symbols as-is.

Honestly, people who haven't sat staring at the screen for hours (as we have) really and honestly don't see anything. They think it looks like crazy weird matrixy gibberish -- without any changes at all. My wife thought the mostly-black of solid, undug rock looked like a starfield. She thought it was a space game.

At most change the dwarfs so they're not smiley faces... that kind of identifies them as "creatures" or "people" of some sort.

So, something like this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just plugged it into my init and it is a bit more difficult, but not impossible, to tell what everything is at a glance.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: July 27, 2009, 06:51:42 pm »

Add a small amount of yellow-cyan variance to the green. It'll probably help.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: July 28, 2009, 12:48:26 am »

619 Man'yōgana

mainly because the matrix only uses katanana. [/picky]

actually it uses all those that i mentioned, i went looking through what few actual "digital rain" pictures from just the movies and didn't find any kanji that wasn't manyogana.  i can be proven wrong though and would be happy to be so, although turning it green would be good enough if you just want it accurate to the anime, as it included an artist's version of futuristic ascii (the bull's head for instance).

i currently use ascii, but if a digital rain conversion ever came out that is what i would use, i am sure i could sucker in a few other players too, if it was a total conversion that still had text in the menus, of course that needs a future release.

granted the most popular graphic conversion that i can think of would be one where your dwarfs were boners, and elves were vaginas, humans were boobs, etc.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: July 28, 2009, 01:20:09 am »

Next version question: with the new contaminant system, will water flows (and magma, I guess) be capable of washing away contaminants from creatures and items?  Currently they just deposit an additional covering.  This came up in a suggestions thread.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: July 28, 2009, 04:45:21 am »

Next version question: with the new contaminant system, will water flows (and magma, I guess) be capable of washing away contaminants from creatures and items?  Currently they just deposit an additional covering.  This came up in a suggestions thread.

I can see complex mass-shower systems. I can see complex magma mass-shower systems.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Phant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: July 28, 2009, 05:18:06 am »

Really the most 'magical' thing the Bene Gesserit were capable of was accessing cellular memory. The Bene gesserit training that made them the superb unarmed fighters was largely the 'prana-bindu' discipline, which gave them complete conscious control over every single muscle in their body. The Voice wasn't even that magical if you consider the involuntary effect some sounds can have on a person, I'm sure we have all had moments when a sound of some sort has made our hair stand up on the back of our neck, or when someones voice has made us respond in ways that aren't completely voluntary. I imagine drill Sargents and leaders of fighting men have always accessed this at some level or another.

Which gives me an idea for a dwarfy skill, 'Command'. You would want the leaders of your military squads to be naturals in that field, though I suppose it could be taught to an extent. If we ever see work crews it would be useful there as well(obviously some professions don't lend themselves to crews, but things like mining and construction would seem to.)   
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 1065