Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3623989 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3165 on: July 21, 2009, 09:05:23 am »

You'd have to scatter little bits of happiness throughout the fort instead.
Legendary Hallways!
Epic fountains in the middle of the warehouses...
Statues for the Booze Depot!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: July 21, 2009, 09:27:55 am »

Statues for the Booze Depot!

You mean you don't already give your dwarves an epic tavern?

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: July 21, 2009, 11:49:04 am »

You have to build a kill switch in every legendary room, so when you see a dwarf about to party - bam. Magma flood.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: July 21, 2009, 12:33:23 pm »

You have to build a kill switch in every legendary room, so when you see a dwarf about to party - bam. Magma flood.
Magma flood + barrels of booze = crater
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: July 21, 2009, 12:49:06 pm »

Maybe I'm not thinking apocalyptic enough for DF, but I see party-related violence and the new health care system averaging out to make it so any well functioning fortress will simply have a dozen dwarves walking around with splints and casts from last weekend's fights.  The dwarves let off some steam, the doctors have plenty of work, the jails aren't populated exclusively by mandate-missers and homicidal maniacs, and everyone is a novice wrestler.

Puller of the lever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: July 21, 2009, 01:25:48 pm »

It will be awesome.  ;D

Everything that can enhance the "inner life" of the fortress is welcome.

Jails full of drunk dwarves (mmh... actually pleonastic), totally awesome.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: July 21, 2009, 01:57:46 pm »

I have a few questions about some of the new stuff.

About Burrows:

I will be able to assign certain dwarves to certain burrows, right?

If so, can I make two different emergency burrows for two different groups of civilians?  AKA everyone assigned to this burrow goes to this emergency area, everyone assigned to this one goes to a different one.

About New Damage System:

Will magabeasts be more dangerous with the new damage system?

Will size come into play more when it comes to damage?  AKA, a bolt has to travel through a lot more flesh to get to a dragons heart then a goblin?

Will the new damage system effect how often weapons get Stuck?

About Military:

How will siege engineers be handled now?  Will they still run away from enemies?

Will formations give any bonuses other then simply having your dwarves where you want them?  Will they allow you to make your dwarves "face" a certain direction for better combat bonuses?  Or are there other bonuses you have in mind?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: July 21, 2009, 03:37:43 pm »

Here's the questions I can't answer:

If so, can I make two different emergency burrows for two different groups of civilians?  AKA everyone assigned to this burrow goes to this emergency area, everyone assigned to this one goes to a different one.

Will size come into play more when it comes to damage?  AKA, a bolt has to travel through a lot more flesh to get to a dragons heart then a goblin?

Will formations give any bonuses other then simply having your dwarves where you want them?  Will they allow you to make your dwarves "face" a certain direction for better combat bonuses?  Or are there other bonuses you have in mind?

I will be able to assign certain dwarves to certain burrows, right?

Yes.

Will magabeasts be more dangerous with the new damage system?

Almost certainly.  Hydras won't go down nearly as easily (there's a List item to ensure this), and Toady also mentioned that iron men will be more difficult to kill (which should go for bronze colossuses as well).  And if that doesn't make them dangerous enough, you'll be able to mod them in much more interesting ways than you can currently.

Will the new damage system effect how often weapons get Stuck?

The entire wounding system has been rewritten, so it'll certainly affect it somehow.  I can't say whether they'll get stuck more or less, but they'll get stuck differently, e.g. it'll distinguish between getting stuck in flesh vs. bone.

How will siege engineers be handled now?  Will they still run away from enemies?

This came up a while ago.  Sounds like it won't be changing yet:

Quote from: Dakk
Any ideas to incorporate siege operators in the military, and making siege weapons more useful overall? Well, siege weapons should have a role in the military, at least its what i believe in. Making them more useful and incorporating the new squad system to siege operators and maybe linking them to levers and pressure plates would make them a blast to use.

There's an overall vehicle rewrite thing planned for some point during the overall invader improvements.  This'll likely change everything about fortress siege engines and establish some more structure on the associated staff.  It's not the farthest away thing in the world anyway, since invader improvements are one of the things on the plate for after this release.  The vehicle rewrite is one of the more ambitious parts of that, though, so some other invasion changes might be coming in first.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: July 21, 2009, 04:50:52 pm »

Thanks for the replies, mate.  I thought I had panned through enough information that these questions wouldn't be redundant, but I was wrong. 

Still worried about megabeasts, especially with their annoying tendency to take one critical arrow to the heart and die (Hence my question about sizes).
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: July 21, 2009, 08:23:45 pm »

Thanks for the replies, mate.  I thought I had panned through enough information that these questions wouldn't be redundant, but I was wrong. 

Still worried about megabeasts, especially with their annoying tendency to take one critical arrow to the heart and die (Hence my question about sizes).

It's come to a point that even Toady doesn't to answer questions anymore. He usually fully explains stuff in the devlogs if you read it carefully. He's amazing in that he updates more than once a month. Even more amazing is his ability to do it daily to twice weekly.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: July 21, 2009, 08:36:55 pm »

It will be awesome.  ;D

Wait... would you go to jail for being drunk, or for being sober? These are dwarves after all.

Urist McDwarfinHammer: "I'm sorry, you've been accused of public sobriety."
Urist McDidn'tDrink: "But my burrow didn't have any ale barrels! Just a well!"
McDwarfinHammer: "No excuses. You are to be locked up in a holding cell with a barrel of ale until you are properly drunk."
McDidn'tDrink: ".......ok!"

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: July 21, 2009, 09:36:17 pm »

Looks like there are only ~75 or so points remaining some of which are already partially completed. Does this mean more than half of the work is completed?
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: July 21, 2009, 09:52:02 pm »

Looks like there are only ~75 or so points remaining some of which are already partially completed. Does this mean more than half of the work is completed?

Yes.  Work on this release started last September, and the List wasn't started until January, so the first four months of work don't appear on the List.  I feel safe saying it's closer to 2/3 or 3/4 done.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: July 22, 2009, 12:30:19 am »

Yes.  Work on this release started last September, and the List wasn't started until January, so the first four months of work don't appear on the List.  I feel safe saying it's closer to 2/3 or 3/4 done.

*Hits Footkerchief*

No, it won't be done for a really long time, I don't expect it to be here until next september, it's a big project and stuff!!

As soon as we think that it'll be done soon, the wait'll be unbearable, and some major delay will come up!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: July 22, 2009, 02:58:33 am »

It will be awesome.  ;D

Wait... would you go to jail for being drunk, or for being sober? These are dwarves after all.

Urist McDwarfinHammer: "I'm sorry, you've been accused of public sobriety."
Urist McDidn'tDrink: "But my burrow didn't have any ale barrels! Just a well!"
McDwarfinHammer: "No excuses. You are to be locked up in a holding cell with a barrel of ale until you are properly drunk."
McDidn'tDrink: ".......ok!"
This = dwarven!  :D
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 1065