Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575697 times)

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2850 on: July 01, 2009, 07:40:47 pm »

'Operation green-skinned shield' ^^. Slave-fighters would indeed be neat thought the chance for disobeying, running away and even mutinies among them would be higher i think. Better to get this guys for farming guarded by some marksdwarfs with there dogs.

Having slaves fight is a bad idea. It always has been. Slave fighting and the employment of mercenaries has ALWAYS resulted in negative effects. Slaves and mercs should only be sent into the killing fields, suicidal missions without knowing so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghilman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamluk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Guard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sofa_(warrior)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_India_Regiment

slave soldiers were done, and with varying success.  it wasn't always a bad idea, and in fact could be a brilliant idea.  you are also quite wrong with mercs as well, although i doubt i need to show much proof of that since it is much more common.

Though there are good examples of slaves, I agree with you on the fact that it has varied amounts of success. The trouble with slave labour is and has always been instilling loyalty in those you're oppressing. Those are good examples by great leaders. I believe the Romans had it best when the S.P.Q.R took many slaves from nations and forced them to reinforce their armies and civilians as servants and forced them to make weapons and armor for loyal soldiers.

As for mercenaries, I think Nicolo Machiavelli puts it best in
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mind you, the times have of course changed and I don't doubt there are loyal mercenaries. Military contracters in Iraq have proven to be loyal - if reckless - fighters for the almighty dollar.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 07:47:08 pm by Im_Sparks »
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: July 01, 2009, 08:14:30 pm »

Machiavelli was concerned mainly with defense and control, though. In wars, mercs have been used to great effect, especially with a backing of loyal troops. Take a look at the Swiss mercenaries, for example, to see mercenaries that literally changed the face of warfare. I would agree that they're not reliable for garrisons and defense, as their motivation is to show up, kill bitches, get paid, and get out. Not really guard material.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: July 01, 2009, 10:52:10 pm »

The only objection that I have to that is you have little control over mercs. Once you set free the mercenary captain, anything and everything in his given path can and will fall victim to the mercs.

But yes, other than that final objection, I've been one-upped in that. Shucks
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: July 02, 2009, 12:12:05 am »

'Operation green-skinned shield' ^^. Slave-fighters would indeed be neat thought the chance for disobeying, running away and even mutinies among them would be higher i think. Better to get this guys for farming guarded by some marksdwarfs with there dogs.

Having slaves fight is a bad idea. It always has been. Slave fighting and the employment of mercenaries has ALWAYS resulted in negative effects. Slaves and mercs should only be sent into the killing fields, suicidal missions without knowing so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghilman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamluk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Guard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sofa_(warrior)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_India_Regiment

slave soldiers were done, and with varying success.  it wasn't always a bad idea, and in fact could be a brilliant idea.  you are also quite wrong with mercs as well, although i doubt i need to show much proof of that since it is much more common.

The deadly cushions beckon thee.

Sorry, cound't resist, i just cracked up when the image of an armored piece of furniture wielding an axe and going all WAAAAAAAGH came to mind :<
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 12:15:01 am by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: July 02, 2009, 12:13:21 am »

This is starting to sound like it belongs in a suggestions thread.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: July 02, 2009, 12:53:35 am »

stuff

stuff
more stuff

Though there are good examples of slaves, I agree with you on the fact that it has varied amounts of success. The trouble with slave labour is and has always been instilling loyalty in those you're oppressing. Those are good examples by great leaders. I believe the Romans had it best when the S.P.Q.R took many slaves from nations and forced them to reinforce their armies and civilians as servants and forced them to make weapons and armor for loyal soldiers.

As for mercenaries, I think Nicolo Machiavelli puts it best in
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mind you, the times have of course changed and I don't doubt there are loyal mercenaries. Military contracters in Iraq have proven to be loyal - if reckless - fighters for the almighty dollar.

nice philosophy quote, but the reference to romans using slave soldiers is incorrect, those that were taken from their home territories were paid with both money and citizenship.

Machiavelli was concerned mainly with defense and control, though. In wars, mercs have been used to great effect, especially with a backing of loyal troops. Take a look at the Swiss mercenaries, for example, to see mercenaries that literally changed the face of warfare. I would agree that they're not reliable for garrisons and defense, as their motivation is to show up, kill bitches, get paid, and get out. Not really guard material.

it depends on how much the mercs care about their image as a professional fighting force, there are many accounts of mercs fighting to the end defensively in sieges and what not, not to mention that they have definitely played key roles in occupations, which tended to be far more humane than the average of national troops' occupation record.

This is starting to sound like it belongs in a suggestions thread.
naw, the original idea is already possible.  i am just educating people of some misconceptions, kind of like if someone said that slings were not an effective weapon against someone in armor and had no place with professional troops.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: July 02, 2009, 01:20:53 am »

Fair enough.

Oh, and here's this:

Question for Toady: (I apologize if this has been asked before, but I've been paying attention to this stuff and haven't seen it yet)

How will magma pools/pipes be integrated into the new underground structure? I can't very well see the current straight-pipe magma tubes coming up through complex cave structures like that, so what'll they look like, exactly?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: July 02, 2009, 03:20:37 am »

Magma rivers!

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: July 02, 2009, 06:13:40 am »

Underground Magma oceans underneth the ocean with an ocean underneth!
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: July 02, 2009, 06:33:54 am »

ItGotBetter

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: July 02, 2009, 07:02:34 am »

Not to mention FPS 8 at embark.  Oh boy!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: July 02, 2009, 08:48:27 am »

Physics is the beginning of all science.

As a physicist, I know I can always annoy a chemist with the following:
Quote from: Ernest Rutherford
All science is either physics or stamp-collecting

Although a mathemetician friend of mine likes to point out that physics is just a small branch of applied maths.

The argument is usually settled when we all agree that at least we're better than biologists...... ;)

Back on topic: Toady: in all the object storage changes that are going on, will bolts now re-stack nicely?

Just because it's impossible to ignore an xkcd reference: http://xckd.com/435/

With regards to the magma, it seems like until volcanoes are properly structured in all their fiery glory, the magma will probably have pools in the underground layers and may at some points simply fill up the underground entirely, much like water does in some places.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: July 02, 2009, 08:52:05 am »

Look 2 pages back ;)
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: July 02, 2009, 12:11:55 pm »

Magma rivers!

Oh dude, real magma pipes underground, like an empty tunnel of igneous rock meandering through the under-dark...still attached to the magma chamber that made them...mmm, toasty adventurers...

Or the obligatory fortress in a volcano inside another volcano.

Toady: So, with the new items and such (crutches etc.), what are you going to do for the 437 code points to represent them?  Are we going to loose some of the unassigned tiles, or are already in use item tiles to be used, like '\' , '|' , and '/' ?  Bandages as '[', or as the bolt of cloth symbol (would look appropriate and would look right in most fancy tile sets too)?
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: July 02, 2009, 02:04:49 pm »

Large extensive caves like the one shown occur most often in sedimentary rock, especially in limestone and similar minerals, likely formed by water flowing through them.
Although volcanic processes do form caves, they are shaped very different and are often formations made by the magma itself. It wouldn't be likely that you would find large empty caves near an active lava tube.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 1065