Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3573785 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2775 on: June 28, 2009, 10:11:33 pm »

This is the greatest update ever.

One thing about entity positions: Will human civilizations have a lasher now to compliment the dwarves' hammerer? I seem to recall a discussion about how Dragslay had a hammerer for dwarves, a lasher for humans, and a quarterstaff-wielding guy for elves, and Toady implemented the hammerer for dwarves because of it. I'm not sure about elves, but humans should definitely have a lasher now.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: June 29, 2009, 04:19:06 am »

Awesome! Now we can use all kinds of weapons! Wooohoo!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: June 29, 2009, 04:52:54 am »

At last, Dwarven Blowgunners!

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: June 29, 2009, 05:39:10 am »

At last, ridiculous weapons training! Take a rake and go sparring to increase your farming skill!
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: June 29, 2009, 09:38:53 am »

One thing about entity positions: Will human civilizations have a lasher now to compliment the dwarves' hammerer? I seem to recall a discussion about how Dragslay had a hammerer for dwarves, a lasher for humans, and a quarterstaff-wielding guy for elves, and Toady implemented the hammerer for dwarves because of it. I'm not sure about elves, but humans should definitely have a lasher now.

If not, I'm sure we'll be able to add them.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: June 29, 2009, 12:04:41 pm »

couple of questions
Will other races be able to use any weapon?
Will races have moddable native weapons?
Probably stupd question, Is there a penalty for using non-native weapons?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: June 29, 2009, 12:12:15 pm »

IIRC toady said something about that Dwarfs are strong traditionalists and Dwarves around a dwarf, and the dwarf itself using a not dwarven weapon getting bad thoughts about it.

Maybe the xenophobia of the Humans does something similar for humans.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: June 29, 2009, 12:15:36 pm »

Will other races be able to use any weapon?

Siegers, town guards, etc. will probably still use their native weapons.  If you're playing as a different race in Fortress Mode, then yeah, you'll probably be able to use non-native weapons just like with dwarves.

Will races have moddable native weapons?

Yes, the current version already has "native weapons" in the entity definitions.

Is there a penalty for using non-native weapons?

Here's the quote Heph was talking about:

Quote from: Toady One
At the very least, the choices will be based on the entity defs, so if you play a human town, you'll get the human lists.  I didn't have any plans at this time for exotic weapon use -- certainly it makes sense that a dwarf, when pressed, would use whatever is around, but culturally it would be odd to have a unit based around it.  At the same time, if that's all you've got in significant numbers, you should be able to do it, maybe with some backlash among those dwarves with the "values tradition" personality facet, especially if you have proper weapons available.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:17:14 pm by Footkerchief »

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: June 29, 2009, 01:38:46 pm »

Oh yeah, Squad heading turns a deeper shade of cyan, woohoo!

I'm loving the Blowgundwarf there.

Things are shaping up to be so freakin' awesome...do you ever get the feeling DF players are too easy to please?

Toady One: "Hey guys, I made it so carp aren't deadly killing machines."
A DF Enthusiast: "I want to have your babies."

We must look the nut-jobs to 'normal' people.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: June 29, 2009, 03:05:42 pm »

Actually, many of us like having carp as vicious deadly killing machines.  Not to say I'm unhappy about the change, but I'm happy because combat is now physics-based, not because any individual creature is less deadly.

I still miss the "Elephants never forget-- TO KILL" feature/bug that was removed.  I understand why it's been removed, but I kinda wish we couldhave it back as an option.  (The bug was that if one member of a species was set to hostile, all of them would be set to hostile, and the hostility tag would never be removed)

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: June 29, 2009, 04:47:29 pm »

If not, I'm sure we'll be able to add them.

I don`t think humans should have any torturers. `Damn liberals ruined the humans, now they only do peacekeeping and think everything is immoral. No lasher, and they`re slowly turning to wimps.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: June 29, 2009, 04:59:14 pm »

Awesome, I was waiting for confirmation on the breath-weapon thing, but I kept forgetting to ask.

Now the obligatory generic multicolored dragon mods will finally be interesting.

Of course, as soon as the new version gets released there's going to be like thirty-seven people working on such a mod simultaneously. Hmm...
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: June 29, 2009, 05:17:28 pm »

Too bad we cant have slaves yet. :I

Because then I would know what to do with all the captured gobbos. other than having them shot down for Marksdwarf training.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: June 29, 2009, 05:25:11 pm »

'Operation green-skinned shield' ^^. Slave-fighters would indeed be neat thought the chance for disobeying, running away and even mutinies among them would be higher i think. Better to get this guys for farming guarded by some marksdwarfs with there dogs.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: June 29, 2009, 06:47:30 pm »

'Operation green-skinned shield' ^^. Slave-fighters would indeed be neat thought the chance for disobeying, running away and even mutinies among them would be higher i think. Better to get this guys for farming guarded by some marksdwarfs with there dogs.

Having slaves fight is a bad idea. It always has been. Slave fighting and the employment of mercenaries has ALWAYS resulted in negative effects. Slaves and mercs should only be sent into the killing fields, suicidal missions without knowing so.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 1065