Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575512 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2745 on: June 27, 2009, 04:03:59 pm »

I was just thinking about the controls we have over the dwarves and the control they have of themselves and thought:
Will dwarves that are either left to thier own will, left alone for extended periods of time, or when under extreme coercion by thier happy/sad thoughts; start an act that can only be initiated by the player?

For Example: Cog Mcbrewy builds an out-of-the way Still because he was left alone and was proficient at brewing.
Or Maybe Urist Mcpunchy creates his own squad to target a Giant Eagle because he was depressed at losing a friend.

Out of curiosity, I would like to have an ant farm build itself every once in a while just to see what might happen.

I believe intelligent autonomy is in powergoals, bloats and core. Though it's incredibly hard to program. Give it a few years before we start seeing dwarves that don't channel themselves into a river
Try mining adamantine on the other side of the map to you.  Damnit, some dwarves just have to take the long way.  Also they decide that after mining half an adamantine shaft they just have to go back and start digging a bedroom.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: June 27, 2009, 06:00:26 pm »

Try mining adamantine on the other side of the map to you.  Damnit, some dwarves just have to take the long way.  Also they decide that after mining half an adamantine shaft they just have to go back and start digging a bedroom.

Once again, the amount of code that would have to go into the game to make intelligent dwarves is somewhat staggering. May toady strike me down, but I think that in the long run he'll get to it in 13 years.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: June 27, 2009, 06:38:47 pm »

Once again, the amount of code that would have to go into the game to make intelligent dwarves is somewhat staggering. May toady strike me down, but I think that in the long run he'll get to it in 13 years.
True, it would involve considering several paths at once and decided which would be the quickest way to do it.  Slight boost to efficiency, massive hit to FPS.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: June 27, 2009, 07:18:05 pm »

Burrows will make it much easier to mine out a shaft of whatever you are mining.  Just kick your miners out of all the burrows you don't want them mining in.

Right now, I like to keep my mining projects limited to 1 at a time.  With this update, I can make a burrow for each level and assign my miners to the levels I want them mining.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: June 27, 2009, 07:18:44 pm »

I cant wait to be able to schedule Legendary Military off duty.

SO my Miners can get some military training, and then be able to mine more.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: June 27, 2009, 08:41:25 pm »

Will dwarves always have a favored weapon? If not, how does it determine the weapon they use?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: June 27, 2009, 09:01:40 pm »

Will dwarves always have a favored weapon? If not, how does it determine the weapon they use?

Simple Dwarves are not as good with a weapon that isn't their favored weapon as well they may get bad moods if they are deprived of it.

A Player may not wish to remove it even for a somewhat better weapon due to these bonuses/penelties

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: June 27, 2009, 09:44:25 pm »

Simple Dwarves are not as good with a weapon that isn't their favored weapon as well they may get bad moods if they are deprived of it.

A Player may not wish to remove it even for a somewhat better weapon due to these bonuses/penelties

I just had a nightmare where all my dwarves liked spears and maces.
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: June 28, 2009, 06:45:34 am »

Then your dwarves are broken, return them back and remember the receipt.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: June 28, 2009, 07:38:18 am »

Your dwarves would be good against megabeasts at least.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: June 28, 2009, 12:11:56 pm »

Your dwarves would be good against megabeasts at least.

..Or they all fucking LOVE wrasslin'. Imagine ~100 dwarves pouring out of a fortress in a desperate attempt to wrassle a Bronze Colossus to death. Glorious.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: June 28, 2009, 01:40:00 pm »

Wrestlers are a good strategy since a lot of AI creatures put a priority on breaking holds including the Bronze collosus.

Put two Wrestlers on him and your Hammerer can turn him into the new fortress toilet.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: June 28, 2009, 01:41:58 pm »

Anyone know what the new 6 skills(I think it was 6...) are? I can only think of Diagnostician and Surgeon

And is it true that we can make our own nobles?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: June 28, 2009, 03:25:10 pm »

Anyone know what the new 6 skills(I think it was 6...) are? I can only think of Diagnostician and Surgeon

There are 6 new healthcare skills.  I don't think we know what they are yet.  The unarmed combat skill, currently known as Wrestling, has also been broken into 5 skills -- punching, kicking, biting, dodging, and actual wrestling.  There'll also be new military-related skills (see the Squads section of the List), so overall there should be 12+ new skills in the release.

And is it true that we can make our own nobles?

Yes.  All of the positions are going into the raws, so you can edit existing nobles or create new ones.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 03:27:43 pm by Footkerchief »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: June 28, 2009, 03:27:43 pm »

There are 6 new healthcare skills.  I don't think we know what they are yet.  The unarmed combat skill, currently known as Wrestling, has also been broken into 5 skills -- punching, kicking, biting, dodging, and actual wrestling.  There'll also be new military-related skills, so it looks like there'll be 12+ new skills in this release.
Really? oh....

I mean Healthcare skills then.

Biting? Why would you want to do this? And what is the difference between kicking and punching(the only difference I can see is if you dont have hands/feet)?
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 1065