Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575467 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2445 on: June 12, 2009, 12:53:12 am »

Mmm... fortresses with 20,000 dwarves. It's madness!

There'd be like...
3 miners
10 masons
4 woodworkers
2 hunters
10 farmers
2 butchers
4 cooks
1 dyer / miller / tanner / thresher
7 metalworkers
1 jeweller
22 craftsdwarves
4 fisherdwarves
2 mechanics
14 nobles
100 military
19814 brewers

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: June 12, 2009, 01:37:34 am »

It will be nice to have some control over the royal guard, but I suspect that it will still just be a black hole to throw cripples into to keep the nobles happy. Have you ever thought about their practical purpose and what they could be guarding against? It would be cool to have things like a dwarf trying to take out the baron because her husband got hammered to death under his orders. Or even something simple like kobold assassins.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: June 12, 2009, 02:19:57 am »

There'd be like...
3 miners
10 masons
4 woodworkers
2 hunters
10 farmers
2 butchers
4 cooks
7 metalworkers
1 jeweller
22 craftsdwarves
4 fisherdwarves
2 mechanics
14 nobles
100 military
100 brewers
19714 idling peasants and cheese/soapmakers
fixed
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: June 12, 2009, 10:56:11 am »

Will the new noble positions and entity definitions allow for nobles to be non-unique?  And, is one of the mechanisms for rising to a position going to be a certain amount of a skill?  I was thinking that it would be hilarious if anyone who reached legendary in any of persuasion, lying, or the like turned into a philosopher and could no longer be controlled.  It would be the DF equivalent of the golden age of Athens.

Also, for the demographics stuff, there's http://www.demographia.com/

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: June 12, 2009, 11:42:32 am »

I think if anyone reached legendary in a conversation skill without an established legendary in other, more useful skills... they kinda wouldn't have been very useful anyway.

Besides, I personally would love a fortress dominated by philosophers.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: June 12, 2009, 12:12:34 pm »

The Major issue Toady has with having cities actually reach populations in the tens of thousands or more is the need for generation or more simply the need for everyone to has a history.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: June 12, 2009, 12:45:52 pm »

Its mainly a time and resource issue i think. In a world that is medium-sized you get around 20000 (iirc) inhabitants.100 times more - 2 Million - people would need 100 times more Diskspace which could grow up to a half Gigabyte.

The time of the Worldgen would also increase by a huge factor until its unbearable (for some people).

A last problem would be ram usage which would also get a massiv increase. Toady would have to (for example) find a algorithm to put unimportant parts of the population to the hdd depending on who is how involved in a ceratin event. Since many different events can happen at the same time this can be very tricky.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: June 12, 2009, 01:22:07 pm »

Yeah, it would take countless hours to generate a world, which has millions of creatures. As for battles...it would be impossible to "view" battles, if thousands of units would move around the battlefield. Present day computers are simply not powerful enough [sadly..]. Period.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: June 12, 2009, 01:57:56 pm »

There'd be like...
3 miners
10 masons
4 woodworkers
2 hunters
10 farmers
2 butchers
4 cooks
7 metalworkers
1 jeweller
22 craftsdwarves
4 fisherdwarves
2 mechanics
14 nobles
100 military
19814 brewers

I imagine one huge brewery town, with a network of pipes pumping the booze to the other parts of the empire.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: June 12, 2009, 05:54:32 pm »

hehe Dwarfs are in reality robots from the future send by skynet which work on Biofuels.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: June 12, 2009, 11:19:28 pm »

That, or they're all Benders.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: June 13, 2009, 04:00:30 am »

I don't know about a million, but having the biggest cities numbering up to 10,000 seems like it would be more fun for us, and easier on the computer.

Considering that it's a fantasy world, maybe their are fantasy reasons that cities don't get too big?

As far as armies, 300 on 300 seems pretty epic, if you consider that the alternative is more and more sweeping abstraction. I'd like to be able to see what's going on in a battle, rather than just read a list of stats later on. That and 300 soldiers would be more than enough to equip, order, and just deal with, in terms of a single Fortress.
For they would be your masters.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: June 13, 2009, 09:41:59 am »

That, or they're all Benders.
I think that was a little uncalled for, Insults get you no where. :P
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: June 13, 2009, 10:03:03 am »

Well, in Sean Mirrsen's defense, please keep in mind that this is a very international Forum. Sometimes, a word used may be slang (U.K. "bender"=homosexual), while at other times it's just a Futurama reference (Bender, an industrial robot character who's purpose was bending metal bars.).

For they would be your masters.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: June 13, 2009, 11:42:01 am »

Damn guys i thought we were a international conglomerate of geeks here.

By "Bender" Sean,as SHB already pointed out, means the more then heterosexual, over chauvinistic Steel-bending Robot and protagonist of "Futurama". Bender got sexiest Robot of the century in the "people magazine". He as Robot does run on Alcohol-Fuelcells :P . He had a afair with Luci lu, the planet express starship and was even once pregnant with a Beer (turned out is was an Ale). Hes also cleptomanic and the best "Soylent green"-cook in 3003 avaibable in the universe thanks to LSD/ACID.

He gets a 3-days shadow of rust and drunk-like for not drinking alcohol.He also go a giant statue made from gold build for himself. if this isnt DF-y character i go to eat my socks or rather i eat one and throw the other somewhere on a battlefield in afghanistan.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 12:01:46 pm by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 1065