Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575340 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2190 on: May 23, 2009, 09:40:58 am »

The player is most definitely Armok. The dwarfs obey us unquestioningly. We can create and destroy entire worlds at whim. And we find fortresses without massive bloodshed to be boring.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: May 23, 2009, 09:48:14 am »

it has been a while since I felt like the dwarves where actually listening to me and follow my orders...

mostly I am just locking and unlocking doors
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: May 23, 2009, 11:48:33 am »

I always subscribed to the "Genius Loci" theory myself, but after seeing the previous post, I have to wonder...

it has been a while since I felt like the dwarves where actually listening to me and follow my orders...

mostly I am just locking and unlocking doors
...is the player Durandal? :o

Although, come to think of it that doesn't really contradict the genius loci theory after all.  By the way, does anyone remember Durandal or am I dating myself?
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: May 23, 2009, 12:14:48 pm »

Sorry, Beardless: I may have heard the name, but I don't fathom the implications, and 'Durandal' isn't even mentioned anywhere in the DWiki.

I admit to being intrigued, however...Care to educate us?
For they would be your masters.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: May 23, 2009, 12:18:32 pm »

Sorry, Beardless: I may have heard the name, but I don't fathom the implications, and 'Durandal' isn't even mentioned anywhere in the DWiki.

It's a Marathon reference.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: May 23, 2009, 12:29:35 pm »

It's a Marathon reference.

That actually didn't help...'Marathon' what? The battle? the race? the Man (Dustin Hoffman)?...I appreciate the effort, though.  ;D

Jakkarra

« Reply #2196 on: May 23, 2009, 12:42:56 pm »

Marathon, i believe he's refferring to the game by Bungie studios (better Known for the Halo series)

i still need to play it, actually, but its supposed to be good.

love, jakkarra

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: May 23, 2009, 01:16:04 pm »

Jakkarra's right.  It's one of the earlier games Bungie made, an FPS that came out about the same time as Doom (but was significantly more advanced).  And it is very good, though the storyline becomes extremely confusing by the time you get to Infinity (the third game in the trilogy).

Durandal was one of the three AIs responsible for running the colony ship Marathon.  Leela was Security, Tycho was Science, and Durandal... opened and closed doors--a menial task which was heavily implied to be a contributing factor to his Rampancy.  (Basically, he went insane.  Being the Marathon universe though, it's WAY more complicated.)

It's kind of a random conclusion to jump to, but it's the first thing that I thought when reading the post... maybe I need more sleep.  Still, there are a surprising number of similarities between Durandal and the typical DF player:  (Note that not all of these apply to every DF player, but most are fair generalizations of DF players as a group.)

*Both Durandal and the DF player can see almost everything happening on site, but don't have a physical presence, requiring minions to do their dirty work.

*Neither can force their minions do anything, but must request, bribe, or threaten them (not necessarily in that order).  They both do so by means of ASCII terminals and deathtraps.

*Both sometimes have to spend a lot of time locking and unlocking doors and other obstacles to get their minions to go where they want.  Doing so often involves making their minions throw switches.

*Both may become fond of favorite "toys", but generally aren't really concerned with the life or death of particular individuals, or even species.  These favorites are often minions that have racked up a large body count.

*Spectacular displays of death and destruction follow them around everywhere.

*Both are fond of crushing machinery and lava.

[/end threadjack]
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: May 23, 2009, 01:40:43 pm »

Thanks for the illumination!

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the players (as in whatever we're intended to represent) having some form of physical manifestation, within the game.

To use your example of an insane AI, maybe something like Blaize, from King's 'Gunslinger' series: Some hidden presence, deep under the "city".

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: May 23, 2009, 01:41:25 pm »

ive always assumed the player to be some form of phantasmal force that "suggests" activities for the dorfs to do, 'splains it well enough for me.

love, jakkarra

Yep, I am under the same impression also.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: May 23, 2009, 01:44:08 pm »

I was under the impression that you played the collective consciousness of the dwarves

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: May 23, 2009, 02:09:04 pm »

I always thought I was some random dude who walked into a dressing room cause the door wasn't locked, found an expedition leader outfit and put it on just for the heck of it.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: May 23, 2009, 02:13:52 pm »

I always thought I was some random dude who walked into a dressing room cause the door wasn't locked, found an expedition leader outfit and put it on just for the heck of it.

Goodness, why does this remind me of The Beast Within?

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: May 23, 2009, 10:04:27 pm »

In  Sim CIty, you are the mayor. In Civilization, you are the timeless leader. 

I believe in Dwarf Fortress, every fortress is lead by a portion of Armok's will, including your own. Armok is all of us.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: May 23, 2009, 10:05:55 pm »

The shipboard AI in Marathon. (The FPS games Bungie made back when they were a mac game company instead of a branch of Microsoft)
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 1065