Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578428 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2175 on: May 22, 2009, 11:03:57 pm »

Ofcourse, we're playing the spirit of our Fortress, itself.

As in the Genius Loci.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius_loci
For they would be your masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: May 22, 2009, 11:12:02 pm »

While we are at it why don't we add in House Gods?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: May 22, 2009, 11:19:59 pm »

House gods would be very nice. For that matter, various spirits inhabiting and (in general) benignly haunting specific locations, and possibly items of great significance, would also be cool.

In addition, I'm *very* interested in Ancestral Spirits.

Palladium could be a nice feature too, for that matter (they could have a nice synergy with the "genius loci" idea, too):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladium_(mythology)

If your Fortress's Palladium (or worse, the MountainHome's Palladium) were stolen/captured or destroyed, such an event might be a singularly bad omen for your dwarfs/dwarfs everywhere.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: May 22, 2009, 11:22:02 pm »

What exactly are "House Gods"? Do you mean maybe "house ghosts"?

Well as players we are bound to a group of dwarfs so i would think we are more like the souls of the ancestors which guide theyr relatives or some random spirit which just like dorfs.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: May 22, 2009, 11:24:33 pm »

What exactly are "House Gods"? Do you mean maybe "house ghosts"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_deity

I think I remember you mentioning having studied classics at some point?  If so, these might be a familiar example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lares

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: May 22, 2009, 11:35:53 pm »

Heh i didnt study it official nor did i say that, as far as i can remember, althougt i did read much stuff. Its often only a translation issue between my mother-language and english. The first thing that came to my mind was the "Hausgeist" which translates literally to "Houseghost" so i dint catch the connection to house gods immedietly.

edit:

But sure "souls", "Ghosts" and "minor deities"  bound to places, entities, families or even objects would be nice. The Problem could be the communication with such things. Here a priest/shaman/Magican could help out who could tell you what said entity likes, dislikes, opposes actively and demands.

edit2:
Yay for a extended Animism XD
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 12:00:55 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Joutilas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: May 23, 2009, 12:18:50 am »

If you want to square this further with how things work, the king doesn't know very much about what is going on over there, and is taking the liaison's recommendation, which you are providing to the liaison.  Generally they'd send someone external over there, but now they are rewarding your efforts.

As a suggestion, maybe there could also be scenarios where the king is not satisfied with the performance of your dwarfs (i.e. you) and therefore appoints somebody external without consulting you (possibly with suitably malignant personality).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: May 23, 2009, 12:36:39 am »

Or he is very happy with your fortress and thus he sends a hero of legends to become a noble in your fortress such as a Ex-adventurer you played.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: May 23, 2009, 12:47:02 am »

Or maybe one of his close relatives? If nothing else, that's a pretty strong sign of respect, I would think?

Unless, ofcourse, he just wants the scheming bastard out of the way...

That's one of those questions personality could answer.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: May 23, 2009, 12:50:10 am »

Well i would think that depends on the personality/abilitys of the king/queen and his/her advisors.

Proud to be a Furry.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: May 23, 2009, 12:54:46 am »

I always thought myself as a kind of collective conscience of the dwarves living there.

That would make you kind of... stupid... when you've only got 7 dwarves, wouldn't it? They aren't that smart individually.

Then again, I've always been a fan of the Armok theory.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: May 23, 2009, 01:04:53 am »

Not to get too philosophical...but I agree with thvaz. I believe that people (humans) have some kind of collective conscience going on. It's a vague feeling-and a definite matter of faith-but I feel it happening, every once in a while.

So yah, I can see us representing whatever that is, whether it's involving 7 dwarfs or 700.
It's a respectable viewpoint.

I still like my genius loci theory better, though.  8)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: May 23, 2009, 01:13:43 am »

Well i hope so too thought the internet would be a bit redundant then  :D .

The genus loci on the other hand doesnt need to be wrong either it would just be another part of the universal soul.

Proud to be a Furry.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: May 23, 2009, 04:32:29 am »

I always thought taht what you where depended on your playstyle. You could either be the expedition leader/mayor, or a collective of all the administrators/nobles with each of your functions represented by a dwarf in game.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: May 23, 2009, 05:11:23 am »

In other news, this thread is now longer than the old "The NEW Future of the Fortress" thread. Perhaps its time it was phased out? End of the double threads in a single niche?
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 1065