Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578515 times)

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2160 on: May 22, 2009, 02:33:56 pm »

I recall reading in Popular Science about a way to make glass beads.  I think you drop molten glass into freezing water, which results in a drop with a very long tail.  The round part can stand up to hammer blows, but cracking the end of the tail causes a cascading energy release, splintering the whole thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Rupert%27s_Drops

The king would do as a prank "hold this" *snap* *SHATTER* - fun

THAT'S what I'd been thinking of!! I forgot that the tail was the only vulnerable part, that the round part (which the sphere would BE) could withstand hammer blows.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: May 22, 2009, 04:10:39 pm »

Toady,

On the appointment of a Baron now, will we be able to appoint someone that currently holds an elected position (e.g., the Mayor)?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: May 22, 2009, 04:34:11 pm »

I'm not sure how I feel about giving the choice of noble to the player in such a direct sense. I'd personally prefer if, say, the King made a reasonable choice based on things like personality and reputation, sort of like how elections work. It would be more interesting and, in my opinion, make more sense/fit the style of the game.

On the other hand, I can understand if this is a bit more of a far-future thing that isn't as feasible to implement at the moment.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: May 22, 2009, 05:23:52 pm »

I'm not sure how I feel about giving the choice of noble to the player in such a direct sense. I'd personally prefer if, say, the King made a reasonable choice based on things like personality and reputation, sort of like how elections work. It would be more interesting and, in my opinion, make more sense/fit the style of the game.

On the other hand, I can understand if this is a bit more of a far-future thing that isn't as feasible to implement at the moment.

Actually it sounds like you would be able to decide how a given noble is selected by altering the raws.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 05:56:03 pm by diefortheswarm »

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: May 22, 2009, 05:42:56 pm »

With this new update, I wonder what exactly the player is.

I mean, dwarves live their lives autonomously. You order them to make / craft / dig (/ flood with magma) stuff. Nobles do somewhat the same by mandating and forbidding stuff.

But now the player can suggest dwarves for nobility.

The player also isn't the grand ruler of it all, as it isn't who the dwarves revolt at. In (at least the first, the newer versions I've never played) Age of Empires, you ARE the ruler, it's what that game is about.
But it isn't as distant as, say, Sim City. No chance you appoint people to  build that residential area.

Where is the player in the grand scheme of things?

Disclaimer: Written past a sensible sleeping time.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: May 22, 2009, 06:01:07 pm »

With this new update, I wonder what exactly the player is.

I mean, dwarves live their lives autonomously. You order them to make / craft / dig (/ flood with magma) stuff. Nobles do somewhat the same by mandating and forbidding stuff.

But now the player can suggest dwarves for nobility.

The player also isn't the grand ruler of it all, as it isn't who the dwarves revolt at. In (at least the first, the newer versions I've never played) Age of Empires, you ARE the ruler, it's what that game is about.
But it isn't as distant as, say, Sim City. No chance you appoint people to  build that residential area.

Where is the player in the grand scheme of things?

Disclaimer: Written past a sensible sleeping time.

You appoint a broker, clerk, manager, and sheriff in the current version.  It doesn't really change what the player is perceived to be by expanding upon this a little.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2166 on: May 22, 2009, 06:22:50 pm »

There's also the issue of having the king select your only legendary weaponsmith or something like that.  We just didn't want to deal with that right now when the interactions with the outside world are so ill-defined and incomplete to begin with.

And yeah, it isn't precisely clear what you are.  You give structure to the fortress without running too far up inside their heads.  This fits in with that theme, as would the king doing it without your input, because in the first you are handling the structure, and in the second, an external actor is making a decision.  If you want to square this further with how things work, the king doesn't know very much about what is going on over there, and is taking the liaison's recommendation, which you are providing to the liaison.  Generally they'd send someone external over there, but now they are rewarding your efforts.  Maybe the new baron should have to run off to court occasionally and thereby become a bit of an external actor, or on the other hand, once things are further along, maybe that's a way you yourself can become involved in external politics.  It cuts both ways, and we want to look toward outward actions more and more.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Jakkarra

« Reply #2167 on: May 22, 2009, 06:23:59 pm »

ive always assumed the player to be some form of phantasmal force that "suggests" activities for the dorfs to do, 'splains it well enough for me.

love, jakkarra

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: May 22, 2009, 06:48:27 pm »

Maybe the new baron should have to run off to court occasionally and thereby become a bit of an external actor, or on the other hand, once things are further along, maybe that's a way you yourself can become involved in external politics.  It cuts both ways, and we want to look toward outward actions more and more.

That right there would be freaking awesome - it'd really make it seem like your little fortress is tied to the living world outside the play area.  I'd love for my guys to go on little excursions to other places, all busy like, like they had a real purpose on the world stage.

It'd also be a turning point in the player yelling at the screen as to why the liason shows up with no body guards - now your fortress nobles are going about their business throughout the world - how many guards are YOU going to supply them?

I don't care what gets implemented, Toady, you rock.  I've been waiting for this game since games were invented.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: May 22, 2009, 07:41:19 pm »

The player is Armok. Isn't that obvious?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Jakkarra

« Reply #2170 on: May 22, 2009, 07:53:32 pm »

The player is Armok. Isn't that obvious?

your profile name appears to have no correspondence with your mental state, nor does your quote appear to have any correlation with your mannerisms.

Lies i say!

love, jakkarra

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: May 22, 2009, 08:47:26 pm »

I always thought myself as a kind of collective counscience of the dwarves living there.

DarkSim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: May 22, 2009, 09:52:37 pm »

Why is it that every single time toady updates the list I become several molars harder.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: May 22, 2009, 09:59:15 pm »

Why is it that every single time toady updates the list I become several molars harder.

That defys the laws of physics!!!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: May 22, 2009, 10:09:40 pm »

It isnt harder it just gets a higher graviotation thus you hit it faster and harder XD.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 1065