Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637986 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2130 on: May 20, 2009, 08:42:53 pm »

I recall reading in Popular Science about a way to make glass beads.  I think you drop molten glass into freezing water, which results in a drop with a very long tail.  The round part can stand up to hammer blows, but cracking the end of the tail causes a cascading energy release, splintering the whole thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Rupert%27s_Drop

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: May 20, 2009, 10:46:44 pm »

Yep, that's the one.  I'm a little surprised my memory served as well as it did.  YouTube video demonstrates the effect nicely.

So yeah, apparently a large glass sphere which cooled rapidly on the outside but slowly on the inside would be nigh-indestructable.

Glass is actually pretty funky stuff.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: May 21, 2009, 12:11:00 am »

I recall reading in Popular Science about a way to make glass beads.  I think you drop molten glass into freezing water, which results in a drop with a very long tail.  The round part can stand up to hammer blows, but cracking the end of the tail causes a cascading energy release, splintering the whole thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Rupert%27s_Drops

The king would do as a prank "hold this" *snap* *SHATTER* - fun

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: May 21, 2009, 03:02:01 am »

Those should be in DF.
For they would be your masters.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: May 21, 2009, 04:57:44 am »

Some questions for Toady (I've tried to make sure that these questions haven't already been answered; apologies if I've failed in that respect)

• The next release is going to have changes to the reactions raw, though it hasn't been finalized yet.  Could you give an overview of the changes and/or some highlights, even if the details haven't been nailed down yet?
  • In the next release, will blood be extractable from corpses? If so, will what's extracted be generic blood, or specific to the creature? (For example, if you wanted to make a reaction which used dragon blood as a reagent).
  • In the next release you'll be able to define creatures which are made entirely out of (for example) dwarven livers, and when asked if you could define a creature which was made out of whole dwarves Toady said "yes". Will it be possible to define a creature that is made out of (for example) whole gremlins, which will, when it dies, fall apart into living gremlins?  Or fall apart into gremlin corpses?
  • How far in the future are the plans to allow for booze to be brewed out of material besides plants? (Bone wine made from bones, dragon wine made from dragon blood, etc)

Kennel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: May 21, 2009, 07:07:44 am »

3. In the next release you'll be able to define creatures which are made entirely out of (for example) dwarven livers, and when asked if you could define a creature which was made out of whole dwarves Toady said "yes".

Is it really that way? I've understood that you could make creatures out of dwarven liver material, not livers themselves. And same with creatures: dwarf bone golem could be possible but not something that is made of ten physical dwarf bodies.

But hey - it wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong (third actually). Do you have a quote from Toady?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: May 21, 2009, 07:57:28 am »

I believe this is the quote.

My question; Will just about everything become materials? Dwarfs will the made out of muscle and bone and whatnot, but will objects be able to be made out of "dwarf" material?

In general, yeah, though an example would let me clarify.

I'm 99% sure Toady didn't mean there's anything like a "generic dwarf material."  The original question was very ambiguous and "in general" probably just meant that other raws can make use of dwarves' specific materials.

For the other questions:
1. This isn't a complete answer, but the MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT tags in the new material definitions will probably play a role.
2. You could probably define a custom extract (using LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD or something), which is a bit of a hack.  We aren't likely to get new corpse processing options this time around -- it's taking some work just to get the existing butchering, etc. back to a working state.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: May 21, 2009, 09:14:45 am »

The king would do as a prank "hold this" *snap* *SHATTER* - fun

That is awesome. :D
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: May 21, 2009, 11:07:55 am »

Did I read that Wiki article wrong or do these drops disintegrate at four times the speed of sound? Funky stuff. Imagine finding some way of using that speed. Say, tiny titanium pellets...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: May 21, 2009, 11:15:27 am »

Did I read that Wiki article wrong or do these drops disintegrate at four times the speed of sound? Funky stuff. Imagine finding some way of using that speed. Say, tiny titanium pellets...

Crack propagation; that doesn't mean there's a physical object moving that fast.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: May 21, 2009, 11:20:01 am »

Hehe, yeah. But still, were it possible, it would be an epic-level weapon. A harmless-looking dotted glass pebble...  until you break the tail.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: May 21, 2009, 04:20:07 pm »

I'm not sure about weaponizing them, but I think of lots of uses for them in traps.
For they would be your masters.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: May 21, 2009, 04:49:53 pm »

Ngom Nom Nom, Goblin commander: "Yar, how heavily be the fort defended?"

Stuko Incestsnout, Goblin scout: "The outer wall is sealed, but there's not place to shoot at us from. I also saw some shiny things sticking out of the wall."

Ngom Nom Nom: "Shiny things, you say?"

The goblins approach the wall and eye the shiny things; hundreds of elongated glass spheres are sticking out of holes in the gate. Ngom reaches for one to pull it off and get a closer look.

The Prince Edward Drop shatters in Ngom's hand!
It is mangled!
Ngom gives in to pain.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: May 21, 2009, 04:53:13 pm »

Well you Toady could make a "shards" object if a Glass-object gets destroyed. This shards could do cutting damage on touch thought they should have a low rel-size (or whatever) so they dont behead someone. Therefore they could slit wrists etc. if they are dumped on someone who is unprotected.

This would be a entirely new trap made from a presure-plate a hatchcover and masses of shards.

edit: This shards could be used for other stuff too like as Shard-art, as improvised dagger or to be resmelted.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 05:05:21 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: May 21, 2009, 05:09:20 pm »

Did I read that Wiki article wrong or do these drops disintegrate at four times the speed of sound? [...].

From a materials mechanics standpoint, I would guess that the crack propagates at or under the speed of sound.  The crack, as I envision it, must travel atom-by-atom, breaking bonds as it goes.  Therefore subsonic.

(Supersonic propagation of a state change is possible: consider detonation of high explosives or a sonic boom from a fast airplane or a rifle bullet.  But that's not what's happening here.)

However, the speed of sound in question is the speed of sound in that material, glass, not air.  As glass is quite a bit denser than air, the speed of sound in it is also quite a bit faster.

So four times the speed of sound in air is entirely possible.

Off topic?  Moi?  You must be joking.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 1065