Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578365 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1950 on: May 04, 2009, 05:40:58 am »

SEVER_ON_BREAKS or whatever it was is gone.  Under the "Some other unfinished business" below "Squads", you'll find "update brittle flag".  At that point, I'll either find it easy to update or not, and then handle it however.  Ideally, yeah, BRITTLE should go too.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: May 04, 2009, 06:17:31 am »

Okay, since it's whack-a-mole time and materials are already under discussion, here's one that got lost or whatever a couple answer cycles ago:

So anyway, a next-version related question: will all of the oddball materials like glass, charcoal, potash, and of course water (the kind that gets carried in waterskins, not the flowing kind) be moved out into the raws too?

Thanks for all the answers as usual.  I'm still trying to absorb all of it.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: May 04, 2009, 07:26:42 am »

Hoborobo234: Toady taking the time out of his busy working schedule (that he basically does for free) to answer our questions is one of the things that crowns him with everlasting greatness.

Every time he posts, it's like it's raining skittles. Things like that just aren't supposed to happen in the real world.

It makes the game 10x better, easy, and makes the Forum something I'm proud to belong to, and be a part of.

I suppose so.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: May 04, 2009, 07:29:52 am »

TOADY ONE, I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED AT YOU!!!! YOU SHOULD BE VERY DISAPPOINTED IN YOURSELF! YOU SOULD BE CONCENTRATING ON YOUR WORK, NOT WRIGHTING LOADS ABOUT IT. GET BACK TO YOUR STUDIES AT ONCE!!!

Thankfully Toady cares about his fans, and he takes time to answer our questions.  ;)
Toady - thanks for the wall of answers again.  8)

darkevilme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: May 04, 2009, 08:22:39 am »

Quote from: darkevilme
Will we be able to set in the civilization file what nobles/such you get in fortress mode for your custom race? Cause if so my naga finally get some priests which'd be awesome. Yes i know they wont do anything but if i could define part of the fortress as a temple and have them hang around there it'd be Awesome squared.

The idea now for the priest update is just to get that working with the new entity position system at all, in some way.  I'm not doing a sweeping religion revision.  That said, you can add pretty much anything you want to the entity positions raws.  If you want every society something called a "priest", you can, though they won't necessarily be tied into in-game religions unless you use whatever limited mechanics I set up, which likely will have nothing to do with dwarf mode at this point.  If you do set up a position called the "Most Revered Naga" or something though, and link it up as a site position or however the others are done, you'll get one for your fort though, or however many you wanted, either through appointment or election, and as migrants or internally, whatever mechanics we end up with at the end.

So in short i can have a priesthood but having them hang around in a temple will have to wait until a custom room framework has been made or religion has been expanded upon. Alrighters.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: May 04, 2009, 11:00:41 am »

Wow. No more chasms and HFS is gone as we know it? I'm not sure how I feel about this!

But thanks again, Toady, for taking the time to answer the massive backlog of questions.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: May 04, 2009, 12:54:22 pm »

As I was running toward an unsuspecting dog on my property with my hands up the air and screaming my lungs out, I'm wondering if the dwarfs (and other civs and creatures) will have a morale thing?

I.e.: Dwarf will shit his pants, when he'll see a mega-beast.

Also, http://i42.tinypic.com/2iash0g.png

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: May 04, 2009, 03:05:03 pm »

Wow. No more chasms and HFS is gone as we know it? I'm not sure how I feel about this!

Hopefully their return isn't too far down Toady's development list after this release.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: May 04, 2009, 03:06:24 pm »

No, they're gone for good now. They'll be replaced with slightly more realistic representations. I think it's for the better.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: May 04, 2009, 03:09:57 pm »

No, they're gone for good now. They'll be replaced with slightly more realistic representations. I think it's for the better.

For good? I didn't get that implication by what Toady said.

I mean removing bottomless pits forever? Why would he do that other then the technical problems of an expanding underground? (which is probably why he removed it for this release.)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 03:11:44 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: May 04, 2009, 04:45:59 pm »

They're gone as we know them.  If you're asking why Toady removed the bottomless pits that we have in the current version, yeah, that's probably because they suck.  If you're asking why there won't be any bottomless features, yes, probably the technical problems.  There will probably still be very deep ones, ones that can be practically explored to a much deeper level than the current features. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 04:48:41 pm by Footkerchief »

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: May 04, 2009, 05:09:17 pm »

Ok to handwave the dragonfire with some biologics and real life chemics:

The fireball is made from mix of 2 substances. The "burning" stuff and a Oxygen supplier (like salpter in black-powder). How this works i will tell you:

The 4 "Kidneys" of a dragon filter very efficently White phosphorus from its bodysystem.

The guts of the dragon produce on the other hand ammonia (which also the cause of the stench of the dragon). Unlike at horses Ammonia isnt waste for a dragon since the saliva-glands at the jaw transforms with the help of  following process:

NaCL + CO2 + NH3 + H2O -> NaHCO3 & Nh4CL

the Ammonia in Ammoniaclorid and Natron - the later gets filtered out aigain. "The Ammoniaclorid" now gets by same glands reacted with
"Sodium perchlorate" (=NaClO4 is NACL which in the liver got biolectrical oxidated ) to Ammonia perchlorate.

In contact with a reducer - like white phosphorus this stuff reacts violently (look it up on wikipedia ;) )

A bag shortly above the voicebox of a dragon contains the White phosphor which at the dragons bodytemp is liquid. 2 Ringmuskels controll the mass of the exhaled Phosphorus. This ringmuskels also close in some sort of swallow-reflex the bag if the dragon inhales.
The liquid Phosphorus gets mixed in the mouth of the dragon with ammonia perclorat which the saliva-glands there shot out and thanks to the powerfull lungs of the dragon a burning white phosphrous spray get thrown to our dwarfs.

(All reaction work in reallife and are very very dangerous especally ammonia perchlorate -> another vid on youtube for all whose browsers which wont play the first)

Simply brilliant. And for those who might scoff at a species evolving such a complex set of chemical reactions, I direct you to the bombardier beetle over in the corner.

[EDIT: And again I'm so late that everything I have to say has already been said. -_- ]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 05:12:33 pm by Alfador »
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: May 04, 2009, 05:22:24 pm »

Well I guess I gotta get ready for "Bring back the Bottomless" suggestions... *sigh*

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: May 04, 2009, 05:35:57 pm »

Well I guess I gotta get ready for "Bring back the Bottomless" suggestions... *sigh*

I, for one, would prefer it if the hole were so deep that you had to explore (as per the new system) to find the bottom. By leaving it unexplored, it effectively IS bottomless.

This doesn't cover the contingency of what happens if a falling dwarf gets a glimpse of each Z-level before he dies, but that could be handled easily by making exploration not happen while airborne.

Big holes and chasms would still be welcome, but they don't need the Bottomless tile at the bottom.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: May 04, 2009, 05:52:20 pm »

Actually, Toady mentions that HFS *may* evolve at some point into a bottomless pit situation, so (and this is still just speculation) it might not actually be gone forever--but instead might appear in some incarnation or other.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 1065