Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578318 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1905 on: May 01, 2009, 04:14:22 pm »

I have a question

Will siegers be able to siege with other non-mount creatures, or other sentient creatures?
Like kobolds and goblins?

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: May 01, 2009, 08:43:19 pm »

Question about the next release,

In the next release, will siegers be able to bring diggers and build constructions such as bridges at your site?  If the answer is no, how far off is this feature?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: May 01, 2009, 10:30:59 pm »

Question about the next release,

In the next release, will siegers be able to bring diggers and build constructions such as bridges at your site?  If the answer is no, how far off is this feature?

Not in the next version.  But it's up on relatively near-term development, as "Improving dwarf mode sieges."  Within a year if we're lucky.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: May 01, 2009, 10:41:13 pm »

# Remove demons as forced powers for goblins and have such arrangements arise through mega-beast behavior

Toady, how do you think this will turn out? Any megabeast could be the leader of the goblins' civilizations? Or only demons, but they will need to enslave/kill/destroy first to win such position?

It would be cool if such things could occur to other races too. For instance, we could have a demon-led evil human civilization.

This would not apply in the case of elves though, as they scare even demons. :)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: May 02, 2009, 01:07:12 am »

I suspect that the Megabeast Civ-leaders will be limited to creatures who have domains in common with the Civ they are trying to gain leadership of.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: May 02, 2009, 01:02:39 pm »

NaCL + CO2 + NH3 + H2O -> NaHCO3 & Nh4CL

the Ammonia in Ammoniaclorid and Natron - the later gets filtered out aigain. "The Ammoniaclorid" now gets by same glands reacted with
"Sodium perchlorate" (=NaClO4 is NACL which in the liver got biolectrical oxidated ) to Ammonia perchlorate.
What? That makes no sense. You're trying to say that you're going to filter NH4Cl? How? It's aqueous and soluble. Also, the CO2 and H2O do NOT react that way under the conditions you described. If I'm not mistaken, H2CO3 breaks apart spontaneously. Even if it did stick together, the Na would NEVER bond that way. Actually, in many of the cases you describe, no reaction occurs. They would just continue to be ions.

Also, "Ammoniachlorid? Do you mean Ammonium Chloride? Ammonia is the gas NH3, Ammonium is the NH4+ ion. Also, "biolectrical oxidated"? In the liver? With sodium chloride? To get electricity off of the stuff, you would have to separate the sodium and chloride, hook a wire between them, then run a salt bridge back over. Good luck with that. Even then, what's the point? Why do you need electricity? Unless you're talking about spending electricity to break them apart? Why would you do that? Let's release chlorine gas into the system, what could go wrong?

This is all assuming the dragon actually consumes enough sulfur in the first place. Unless the water is polluted or he's eating sulfur rocks, sulfur isn't terribly common in creatures. Even then, most of it is locked up in sulfides and sulfates, which are hard to free from the oxygens stuck on.

Good idea, it just doesn't work.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: May 02, 2009, 02:17:12 pm »

Well, maybe if the dragon can compress a gas and use the effects of extreme compression to mimic fire. However, that dragon would have to have one hella of a stomach to do that. (alternative is to handwave: say the dragon can secrete a flammable substance made of manmadium that catches fire in the air....)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: May 02, 2009, 02:21:30 pm »

Bombardier Beetle

Not quite fire, but not far from it...
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: May 02, 2009, 02:27:52 pm »

you'd be suprised what kind of reaction can occur under the influence of enzymes

sure, if you just chuck the stuff together and heat it, it won't happen, but if we consider the influence of the right enzymes it is not impossible
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: May 02, 2009, 02:43:20 pm »

you'd be suprised what kind of reaction can occur under the influence of enzymes

sure, if you just chuck the stuff together and heat it, it won't happen, but if we consider the influence of the right enzymes it is not impossible

Enzymes catalyze both the forward and reverse reactions.

Sorry, no dice.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: May 02, 2009, 02:54:12 pm »

It doesn't really have to be fire (as such), either. Possible "magic dragon fire" aside, dragons could be spraying a deadly chemical mist that could combine the worst effects of both a poison and an acid, so that getting hit with the mist would feel like you're on fire, and "burn" (melt) through organics.

That way, no additional oxygen would be consumed, and the dragon breath could actually be more deadly than a simple conflageration.

The chemical stew might also react with certain organic substances to create small, *limited* fires, without being a huge explosion of flames.
For they would be your masters.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: May 02, 2009, 03:32:29 pm »

In this setting, it can be magic.

Anyway, this release is looking to be epic when it's finally ready.  ;D
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: May 02, 2009, 03:38:14 pm »

NaCL + CO2 + NH3 + H2O -> NaHCO3 & Nh4CL

the Ammonia in Ammoniaclorid and Natron - the later gets filtered out aigain. "The Ammoniaclorid" now gets by same glands reacted with
"Sodium perchlorate" (=NaClO4 is NACL which in the liver got biolectrical oxidated ) to Ammonia perchlorate.
What? That makes no sense. You're trying to say that you're going to filter NH4Cl? How? It's aqueous and soluble. Also, the CO2 and H2O do NOT react that way under the conditions you described. If I'm not mistaken, H2CO3 breaks apart spontaneously. Even if it did stick together, the Na would NEVER bond that way. Actually, in many of the cases you describe, no reaction occurs. They would just continue to be ions.

Also, "Ammoniachlorid? Do you mean Ammonium Chloride? Ammonia is the gas NH3, Ammonium is the NH4+ ion. Also, "biolectrical oxidated"? In the liver? With sodium chloride? To get electricity off of the stuff, you would have to separate the sodium and chloride, hook a wire between them, then run a salt bridge back over. Good luck with that. Even then, what's the point? Why do you need electricity? Unless you're talking about spending electricity to break them apart? Why would you do that? Let's release chlorine gas into the system, what could go wrong?

This is all assuming the dragon actually consumes enough sulfur in the first place. Unless the water is polluted or he's eating sulfur rocks, sulfur isn't terribly common in creatures. Even then, most of it is locked up in sulfides and sulfates, which are hard to free from the oxygens stuck on.

Ok not "Ammoniachlorid" i meant Ammoniumchlorid . the wrong nameing was a mistake thanks to my poor english ok?

The filtering of the Chemicals is a (pressure driven-) osmosis with a membrane - pretty common in nature for filtering various kinds of chemicals. You may want to read on up on it.

The used reaction is the same as in the Solvay-process

The "bioelectric oxidation" is similiar to Production of perchlorates in reallife via a Perchloratecell. Also to quote wikipedia: "Sodium perchlorate is manufactured by anodic oxidation of sodium chloride or sodium chlorate at high current density, with platinum (or in some cases, lead dioxide, manganese dioxide, and possibly magnetite and cobalt oxide) anodes and graphite, steel, nickel, or titanium cathodes." Cells can have very high internal pressures and compareable to size high current densitys and the suggested metals can be obtained in useable quantitys in a body especally lead and and iron/nickle. (edit: The by akroma mentioned enzymes would be helpfull too.)

Also Ammonia is solvable in water by 541 gramms per Liter.

Where you bring sulfur in i dont understand.

I think i did my homework here. Any other questions?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 03:52:51 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: May 02, 2009, 03:50:19 pm »

The dragonfire question seems to interest a lot of people.  May I suggest discussing it in a separate thread so that you won't have to deal with those annoying people talking about current development?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: May 02, 2009, 04:01:38 pm »

Your right Footkerchief. Excuse that i did derail this threat again.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 1065