Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637797 times)

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1695 on: April 18, 2009, 04:00:06 am »

Task Manager says that DF takes up 90+ of the CPU.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: April 18, 2009, 09:20:15 am »

All this on Windows Vista.  Anybody running XP(or Linux!) should be seeing even better performance than I do.

That is not true. Vlited Vista > WinXP in every possible way.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: April 18, 2009, 09:22:19 am »

Only if Toady moved skills into raws, you could make your own weapons, that develop their own skills. Like magic!

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: April 18, 2009, 09:26:02 am »

Vista has somewhat steeper hardware requirements than XP, and it runs slightly slower than XP, but if you've got the hardware for it, then the overhead suddenly drops to below a noticeable level.  I did, however, notice that an Ubuntu liveboot runs about 2-3x as fast as Vista, and my little sister's netbook running XP is about twice as fast as my laptop.  Her hardware specs are about even with mine.

Vista is decidedly more secure, though.  In fact, Mac OS has more security holes than Windows Vista, it's just that nobody cares enough to try hacking a Mac.  It's like the difference between a rabbit wearing absolutely nothing and a thirty-foot tall adamantine golem.  The rabbit is an easier mark, but everybody's going to go after the golem.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: April 18, 2009, 10:22:32 am »

Vista is decidedly more secure, though.  In fact, Mac OS has more security holes than Windows Vista, it's just that nobody cares enough to try hacking a Mac.

People have been saying this for decades now; where's the proof?

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: April 18, 2009, 10:56:03 am »

Macs have generally been unpopular, and the reason they don't get viruses is because hackers almost never write viruses for Macs.  Think about it.  If you write a virus, you want it to become prevalent, widespread.  What are you going to target?  Until only a few years ago(before Linux went mainstream and Apple stepped up their advertising and got cutthroat), Windows had the overwhelming majority of market share.  Even now, as I recall, the numbers still favor Windows, if not as a majority then at least a plurality.  Windows PCs are cheaper than Macs, and as an operating system it's better known and easier to get than Linux.  Naturally, they'll get more attention.  Macs were never particularly more secure than Windows, they just never got any action attention.

Where I get my info specifically, however, is Pwn to Own, a contest which sets up three PCs: one Linux, one Mac, one Windows, and challenges hackers to comprimise the computers' security to win prizes.

Last year, one of the teams shocked tech gurus by announcing that the Mac system had been easier to hack than the one running Windows Vista.  When the dust had settled that year, the Mac was comprimised on day 2, the Vista machine day 3, and the Linux machine had been ignored because it just wasn't a challenge.  Think about it: Linux is an open-source operating system.  Creating a backdoor would be as easy as one of the contributors sneaking one into a release candidate build.  The team that did it said that he'd been expecting Windows to fold like a house of cards, and had focused the entirety of Day 1 on it.  But it didn't.  The Mac had proven easier to hack.

This year, the same team made headlines by gaining control of a Mac within, as I recall, less than a minute from green light to total control using a vulnerability in Safari(Safari on Mac is the least secure browser/OS combination available, currently.  The best is Chrome on Vista.).  Now yes, there was a good deal of research and preparation involved, but once he had that done, he had a way to go from discovering a new Mac to adding it to a botnet in less time than a user would need to realize that something's up.  In the aftermath of this year's competition, he was interviewed, and asked what the best choice for security would be.  I effectively paraphrased his answer in my previous post.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: April 18, 2009, 11:09:45 am »

the Linux machine had been ignored because it just wasn't a challenge.  Think about it: Linux is an open-source operating system.  Creating a backdoor would be as easy as one of the contributors sneaking one into a release candidate build.

Um, bullshit. It being open-source doesn't mean people don't look at submitted code to decide what gets in to an official released version.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: April 18, 2009, 11:16:07 am »

It does make it significantly easier for a hacker to introduce vulnerabilities, though.  You can't add a vulnerability to an official Windows or Mac OSX release.  Just because most will be screened out does NOT mean that no vulnerabilities are going to make it in.

Of course, most of those vulnerabilities are going to be only useful to the team that added them.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: April 18, 2009, 11:22:47 am »

the Linux machine had been ignored because it just wasn't a challenge.  Think about it: Linux is an open-source operating system.  Creating a backdoor would be as easy as one of the contributors sneaking one into a release candidate build.

Um, bullshit. It being open-source doesn't mean people don't look at submitted code to decide what gets in to an official released version.

It's been tried at least once: http://www.securityfocus.com/news/7388

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: April 18, 2009, 11:39:16 am »

It's been tried at least once: http://www.securityfocus.com/news/7388

Still - if they had done something like that, why not show it off? And if they hadn't, your reasoning wouldn't apply.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: April 18, 2009, 11:50:49 am »

Showing it off defeats the purpose, like sneaking into a high-security area and then photographing yourself and putting it up on Flickr.

Remember, the best spies are the ones history never remembers.  Hacking is the same way.  If you're caught, you lose.

In any case, I do think we're getting a little off-topic here.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:58:32 am by Volfram »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: April 18, 2009, 12:35:00 pm »

Vista Security = Getting an access denied error accessing my music folder from the my documents folder as the administrator.  But click the shortcut straight to it and it works fine for any account.

Hell I get access denied left and right when turning stuff off in process explorer.  You would think yer computer would let you use yer own files.  Nope.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 12:37:33 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: April 18, 2009, 12:41:18 pm »

Showing it off defeats the purpose, like sneaking into a high-security area and then photographing yourself and putting it up on Flickr.

Which _still_ ruins your claim of it being "not a challenge" as the reason to ignore it in such a contest. Did they even say that, or did you just make it up?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: April 18, 2009, 12:52:31 pm »

it's frightening enough with the Core gameplay elements, but all these bloats, I feel sick to my ram.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: April 18, 2009, 02:14:40 pm »

Sure many things look ram-intensiv but very much of it happens in ADV and worldgen and/or over a longer time. Also not everything happens at the same time so i think Worldgen will take more time but game itself will not be much slower.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 1065