Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1013 1014 [1015] 1016 1017 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636974 times)

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15210 on: March 24, 2010, 05:14:46 pm »

So yet again, no-one knows exactly what is going down, wonderful!NOTE:not expressing anger or anything, just amused by the total and utter madness/devotion that drowns this thread(and my brain)

Thanks for the answers anyhow!

I read drowns 'downs' as in we where all acting like mentally handicapped about this.
Not that that was implied at all.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15211 on: March 24, 2010, 05:16:58 pm »

did today's post mean that he expects the public will get current test version 17, or that he expects there will be 17-odd versions of "next version" as he bugtests it?

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #15212 on: March 24, 2010, 05:21:00 pm »

17-odd versions, one new release every week, after the main release. The time of which is unconfirmed, more likely unknown.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 05:23:57 pm by Leotto »

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15213 on: March 24, 2010, 05:25:54 pm »

I'd love to see access logs for requests to the forums and dev_now page over the last couple months.

I know I contribute about 500 requests a day. ;)

Virtual Russian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15214 on: March 24, 2010, 05:59:04 pm »

I wonder if most of the losses during my first fort will be due to accidents/war or bad doctors...

Now we all can get our own, private Mengele.
I wonder if a doctor will perform surgery on friendly, wounded elves?

*Urist McMengele has become more experienced*
*Conjoined Elves have been struck down*

This community worries me sometimes.

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15215 on: March 24, 2010, 06:24:01 pm »

Mengele took an interest in physical abnormalities discovered among the arrivals at the concentration camp. These included dwarfs, notably the Ovitz family - the children of a Romanian  artist, of whom seven of the 10 members were dwarfs. Prior to their deportation, they toured in Eastern Europe as the Lilliput Troupe. Mengele often called them "my dwarf family"; to him they seemed to be the perfect expression of "the abnorm".

Well gawsh... 
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15216 on: March 24, 2010, 06:43:17 pm »

offtopic i know, but i was wondering, tfaal, where's your avatar coming from?
Glad you asked! It is from the wonderful comic Gunnerkrigg Court, which you should all read from the beginning, because it's awesome. The specific comic it's from is here.
Well, I know this was about 10 pages ago, but thank you, I just read the entire 699 pages in one go. And now I'm eagerly awaiting the next one. Holy crap, 699. I haven't even read XKCD that fast.

Anyway...

Mengele took an interest in physical abnormalities discovered among the arrivals at the concentration camp. These included dwarfs, notably the Ovitz family - the children of a Romanian  artist, of whom seven of the 10 members were dwarfs. Prior to their deportation, they toured in Eastern Europe as the Lilliput Troupe. Mengele often called them "my dwarf family"; to him they seemed to be the perfect expression of "the abnorm".

Well gawsh... 
This is both disturbing, interesting and, in Dwarf Fortress context, very hilarious. Although I don't quite know what to make of this...

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #15217 on: March 24, 2010, 06:48:21 pm »

Achondroplasia is inherited in an autosomal dominant pattern, which means one copy of the altered gene in each cell is sufficient to cause the disorder. About 80 percent of people with achondroplasia have average-size parents; these cases result from a new mutation in the FGFR3 gene. In the remaining cases, people with achondroplasia have inherited an altered FGFR3 gene from one or two affected parents. Individuals who inherit two altered copies of this gene typically have very severe problems with bone growth, and are usually stillborn or die shortly after birth from respiratory failure.
Damn. That is grim.
Spoiler may be insulting/hurtful to liliputs (none intended):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15218 on: March 24, 2010, 09:05:27 pm »

Wow Areyar...I'd never made that connection to low birthrates, though I knew about the genetics.  *ponders* .  You'd need some sort of additional gene to cancel out the lethal effects.

Also I'd like to second the thanks for pointing me to Gunnerkrigg Court, although I really had better things to do than blow an entire afternoon on an archive binge.  It was still satisfying though.

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15219 on: March 24, 2010, 09:12:41 pm »

I wonder if most of the losses during my first fort will be due to accidents/war or bad doctors...

Now we all can get our own, private Mengele.
I wonder if a doctor will perform surgery on friendly, wounded elves?

*Urist McMengele has become more experienced*
*Conjoined Elves have been struck down*

This community worries me sometimes.

Saved to my best quotes file.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:15:15 pm by Demetrious »
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Laskuraska

• Bay Watcher
  • It's hards to be in charge of alls dem dorfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #15220 on: March 24, 2010, 09:21:40 pm »

Achondroplasia is inherited in an autosomal dominant pattern, which means one copy of the altered gene in each cell is sufficient to cause the disorder. About 80 percent of people with achondroplasia have average-size parents; these cases result from a new mutation in the FGFR3 gene. In the remaining cases, people with achondroplasia have inherited an altered FGFR3 gene from one or two affected parents. Individuals who inherit two altered copies of this gene typically have very severe problems with bone growth, and are usually stillborn or die shortly after birth from respiratory failure.
Damn. That is grim.

You're pretty amazing x.x I didn't know that about dwarfism so I'd never made that connection before.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15221 on: March 25, 2010, 12:17:47 am »

Damn. That is grim.
Oh that was the thing I remembered Gimli saying he didn't want to talk about. I assumed it was related to the females back when I read it but it was probably not that specific.

Also I'd like to second the thanks for pointing me to Gunnerkrigg Court, although I really had better things to do than blow an entire afternoon on an archive binge.  It was still satisfying though.
Same here. I'm not making nearly as much progress on my end of term project as I need to be T_T
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15222 on: March 25, 2010, 03:11:51 am »

Well dwarves (and elves) traditionally have pretty low birth rates in classic fantasy, if only to balance out living longer than a human. which is why elves, with a relatively high birth rate, can zerg rush in DF.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #15223 on: March 25, 2010, 03:30:17 am »

Well dwarves (and elves) traditionally have pretty low birth rates in classic fantasy, if only to balance out living longer than a human. which is why elves, with a relatively high birth rate, can zerg rush in DF.

And others explain this by the majority of elves turning gay thus not producing any offspring even if they technicaly could. ;)
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15224 on: March 25, 2010, 03:46:02 am »

highly official question: will we see a release in march? :D
Pages: 1 ... 1013 1014 [1015] 1016 1017 ... 1065