Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1007 1008 [1009] 1010 1011 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636648 times)

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15120 on: March 24, 2010, 04:41:04 am »

What exactly is the version control issue?

When this gets released there will be a link on the frontpage: Download latest version here (torrent)

A few weeks later we have a new version and the torrent-link gets replaced with the new one, what is the big deal?
Even better. Doesn't a reuploaded torrent get automatically updated? If so, and if you just keep your torrent client running, you'll get a new version as soon as the torrent is updated. Naturally, the torrent would also contain all previous DF versions.
I'd seed it. And it's another good fact that torrenting isn't only for pirates.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15121 on: March 24, 2010, 04:42:28 am »

Time for the really late but still necessary page 1000 RELEASE chant that will accomplish nothing but making us look awesome.

RELEASE

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15122 on: March 24, 2010, 04:50:00 am »

Hmm. I'm not proficient at crafting ominous chants... not even novice, probably. Still, here's a chant-ish line of you want one:

"oogreatudeveloputoaduonu, releasudwaffotressutwo-o-one-o"

(I'm not sure how to make it make phonetical sense)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15123 on: March 24, 2010, 04:50:21 am »

I think the issue of version control out weighs the benefit bandwidth cost.
A quick look at the download page shows me that I can download any released version that I want.  So I don't see why version control would be a problem.  AFAIK, Toady has always kept old versions around for people with beloved old fortresses.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15124 on: March 24, 2010, 04:58:33 am »

What exactly is the version control issue?

When this gets released there will be a link on the frontpage: Download latest version here (torrent)

A few weeks later we have a new version and the torrent-link gets replaced with the new one, what is the big deal?
Even better. Doesn't a reuploaded torrent get automatically updated? If so, and if you just keep your torrent client running, you'll get a new version as soon as the torrent is updated. Naturally, the torrent would also contain all previous DF versions.

No it doesn't work like that. You need a new .torrent file if there is an update, unfortunately, since the file contains important information (hash values etc). So you'd have to download the new .torrent from here.

Still, after the initial rush is over just the download-link + mirror will be enough i guess and all this torrent talk will be forgotten :)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #15125 on: March 24, 2010, 05:04:00 am »

I think the issue of version control out weighs the benefit bandwidth cost.
A quick look at the download page shows me that I can download any released version that I want.  So I don't see why version control would be a problem.  AFAIK, Toady has always kept old versions around for people with beloved old fortresses.
Indeed. However you can select which version you are downloading with very little worry on Toady part for management, with torrents. Not so much, and it can arise with questions of continually pointing to new torrents instead of a new link.

And also it being a torrent doesn't allow for a down load count as easily, so it'll make it harder to judge how popular it is.

A comic that I am working on, I plan on releasing every 22 pages as a digital comic on various torrent sites. I like the idea, as it has no real additional cost to me. I don't like it as I can't control what the product others are getting. I can't stop someone from giving out erroneous items under the name. I also can't easily if at all tell how many times its been down loaded or read.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15126 on: March 24, 2010, 05:25:16 am »

Indeed. However you can select which version you are downloading with very little worry on Toady part for management, with torrents. Not so much, and it can arise with questions of continually pointing to new torrents instead of a new link.
But it would be as simple as hosting a .torrent file on the B12 website, and having a link to it on the download page.  The .torrent file would be a few kilobytes
And also it being a torrent doesn't allow for a down load count as easily, so it'll make it harder to judge how popular it is.
You could still get download stats for the .torrent file, you could also look at the number of active seeds and leeches
A comic that I am working on, I plan on releasing every 22 pages as a digital comic on various torrent sites. I like the idea, as it has no real additional cost to me. I don't like it as I can't control what the product others are getting. I can't stop someone from giving out erroneous items under the name. I also can't easily if at all tell how many times its been down loaded or read.
If people get the .torrent file from you, then they get your content.  If you release "trackerless" torrents using the DHT mechanism only, then there's the potential for spoofing.  But if you have your own domain to host the .torrent on, then this is a non-issue.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15127 on: March 24, 2010, 05:52:31 am »

I don't mind torrents, however you should remember that some ISP totally block defaults torrents ports. And changing the default ports might be too much headache for someone who just wants to download a game.

John Keel

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_AVATAR:ALWAYS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15128 on: March 24, 2010, 05:58:10 am »

Plus, some people (coughmecough) have paranoid parents who refuse to let them use torrenting software.
King of the Onslaught of Narwhals

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15129 on: March 24, 2010, 06:13:27 am »

Not even, say, Opera? Which doubles as a browser.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Necaladun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15130 on: March 24, 2010, 06:27:41 am »

How about just emailing it to a gmail account and giving out the password? That'll work for a few minutes. It's all I'll need. *twitch*

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #15131 on: March 24, 2010, 06:34:13 am »

I don't see how version control is too big a problem. Just invalidate the old torrent, and the tracker will basically throw a "This torrent no longer exists" error message. That'd be a sure sign for people that another version is out that needs to be torrented again.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15132 on: March 24, 2010, 06:53:21 am »

I don't see how version control is too big a problem. Just invalidate the old torrent, and the tracker will basically throw a "This torrent no longer exists" error message. That'd be a sure sign for people that another version is out that needs to be torrented again.

You need to think in terms of the average DF player, who is by and large not someone who is familiar and comfortable with such concepts. A user who doesn't know (or doesn't care) how to forward ports will be stuck downloading the thing at dial-up levels. Even a 6mb file could take hours.

Anyways, there are still numerous ways to release it. MegaUpload is certainly the most popular and widely used, offering minimal advertisements.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #15133 on: March 24, 2010, 07:00:49 am »

Ah, I should say that I was talking about 17 releases over a short period being a bandwidth problem.  I think a release a week will probably be okay as long as I've got a few mirrors working.  I'm not really sure, since we haven't had a delay this long for this many people before.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15134 on: March 24, 2010, 07:03:45 am »

Ah, I should say that I was talking about 17 releases over a short period being a bandwidth problem.  I think a release a week will probably be okay as long as I've got a few mirrors working.  I'm not really sure, since we haven't had a delay this long for this many people before.
Torrent is the answer. ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.
Pages: 1 ... 1007 1008 [1009] 1010 1011 ... 1065