Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 989 990 [991] 992 993 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635663 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14850 on: March 21, 2010, 11:42:50 pm »

That would neither be on a milkmaids path from the bedroom to the kitchen nor to the stable where the cows are at.

Why would the cow need to path to the milkmaid's bedroom? I don't like where this is going.
The same reason birdmen can't path over walls and cats get stuck at tightly sealed doors. There's only one pathing map so for the cow or milkmaid to ever reach each other they ,ust both beable to path to any place the other can be.

Though I guess you can say there's a second pathing map at the regional level for caravans being able to reach a site and such. With my poorly applied women in the kitchen joke they wouldn't get to use that one. Their local map would just consist of those three locations.

7 miles are just to 2 to 3 hours of walking. A days walk would be around 40 to 50 Kilometres.i have walked for 8 hours straight with a steady speed and got ~ 40 kilometres covered.

umkay, nm, guess my math is screwed up since I stayed up all night heh heh heh. Anyways, a horse is likely to be a little bit faster or about the same speed (assuming you're not playing Paul Revere), which kind of blows the milk spoilage idea out of the water. It would make for quick transport from the farm to the market, sure, but still.
I have this image of an essentially Amish cart slowly going along the road so that it doesn't shake & eventually break any glass containing the milk. With a single metal canister that dispensed milk on site that wouldn't be an issue but you would risk contaminating the milk and greatly reducing its shelf life like that, with the level of technology I'm picturing.

Totally unfounded to say this is how it actually worked but people more interested could look into it.

Hey I know Toady is very into doing this project by himself, but is he that way about sound & music, because it could save him a bunch of time and effort if he let someone else do that for him.
Seeing as he hasn't touched that since he recorded the looping music I wouldn't say it would save him time so much as get him something he hasn't spent a lot of development time on so far. I guess I should go scan through the dev goals again to see what's planned for music...

Wait, this game has music?

Noah

Yeah, its called WinAmp XD
Yeah, it's called Wina- dang. I'm not as creative as I thought.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Keishin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14851 on: March 22, 2010, 12:19:51 am »

The music thing has come up before.  I don't have a quote, but I do specifically remember him wanting to do more of it himself - and only himself.  It was a good while ago, so perhaps things have changed (there was, after all, the advent of the podcast music).  But it's probably safe to assume not unless we hear otherwise.
Quote from: zagibu
Don't ask how many times I've accidentally spawned an alligator completely covered in adamantine with a battle axe strapped to its tail.

Thirster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14852 on: March 22, 2010, 12:44:52 am »

In looking at this imagehttp://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/imgs/large_island.png further, and i haven't had a chance to check if anyone else is asked this.

The large crater like regions in the main mountain range, are they large extinct volcano calderas? Or am i just going insane and reading too much into the image.

also thank you toady for all your hard work on this masterpiece

No, they're actually areas where the land slopes off into plains.

Volcanoes are features that fit into a single embark tile. 

yeah but i was talking about massive volcano calderas, where a good portion mountain range has been torn apart. because a couple of them look like they bulge in the center (shown by the rivers and lakes inside the "caldera" running along the edge and not the center). The two bottom most are the best examples

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Toba
^^ that sort of thing

AFAIK, a caldera is going to be located in a single embark tile.

yes yes, i understand that normal sized volcanoes and calderas will be single tile and wont change much from previous versions, I'm talking about blown out supervolcanoes the kind of thing that happens once a few hundred million years, Lake Toba and Yellowstone being good examples

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14853 on: March 22, 2010, 01:19:17 am »

This may be blasphemy, but IIRC, Runescape has damn-near perfect music for the type of graphics that they employ (that is to say, bad graphics)

Something like that would be pretty cool for DF, at least as a peripheral program

You should take a look at Runescape again. Graphics upgrades have brought it to anywhere but bad. Especially when you consider it is browser based. Also the music pushes it's midi file type to extreme lengths. Music example : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf-rOtvW-6Q&feature=related

Now that stuff being said, i do agree with you on how it used to be. DF would work with some simple atmospheric music.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14854 on: March 22, 2010, 03:01:45 am »

Also the music pushes it's midi file type to extreme lengths.

The fact that they're using MIDI as a distribution format (when it's not, say, 1996) really says something, and that something isn't something good.

... And I swear that I hear what sounds like the standard Windows ding.wav being used as a drum in that video. I'm pretty damn positive it's not actually that, but it sounds like it. I seriously thought something weird was going on on IRC when I heard it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 03:11:07 am by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14855 on: March 22, 2010, 05:43:45 am »

Are you insinuating that there's something wrong with MIDI?

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14856 on: March 22, 2010, 06:04:27 am »

Midi files are tiny, about 1/10th of the size of an mp3 if I remember right. Very important, for a browser-based game. Also, if you can make it sound good there's no reason not to use it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14857 on: March 22, 2010, 06:11:56 am »

midis depend on your soundcard for instruments. there's plenty of tracker formats that are almost as small, but don't need a good soundcard to sound okay

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14858 on: March 22, 2010, 06:26:43 am »

Ohay, it's page 990! 991! So close.
If you change your forum settings to 5 posts per page we'd be at page 2973. :P

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14859 on: March 22, 2010, 06:49:57 am »

Ohay, it's page 990! 991! So close.
If you change your forum settings to 5 posts per page we'd be at page 2973. :P
Yes, but then you'd be stuck with five posts per page.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14860 on: March 22, 2010, 06:56:50 am »

Good to see this thread is just as on-topic as usual! Hopefully once the 1000-page mark on default page settings is passed this post-whatever's-on-your-mind thing will cool off a bit.

Toady, you said a while back that burrows would not be as totally functional as people seem to think they'll be - in what regards would that be? Specifically I'm wondering if dwarves will collect job materials only from within their assigned burrows (and if they'll grab from elsewhere if there's nothing local available) and if dwarves will only eat/drink in their assigned burrows, meaning both the stockpiles the food/booze is stored as well as the dining hall they go to eat in. And I guess meeting zones and party-able rooms while I'm at it.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14861 on: March 22, 2010, 07:16:26 am »

I don't need music fitting the game.
I listen to my 1.6k+ techno songs while playing or I just watch movies.

I wonder who will be page 1000????
i will.
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14862 on: March 22, 2010, 07:31:44 am »

midis depend on your soundcard for instruments. there's plenty of tracker formats that are almost as small, but don't need a good soundcard to sound okay

A while back, they changed their music format so that it doesn't sound different on different sound cards.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14863 on: March 22, 2010, 07:51:28 am »

here we go, 992  ::)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #14864 on: March 22, 2010, 07:54:09 am »

Yeah... lets not make 8 pages of countdown.
Especially since for me this isn't even up to 600 pages yet.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games
Pages: 1 ... 989 990 [991] 992 993 ... 1065