Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 985 986 [987] 988 989 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635453 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14790 on: March 21, 2010, 06:42:35 am »

but we need more posts.
Not really.

Anyway, regarding the "continental" maps from the Dev Log... There seem to be a few rivers long enough to be great rivers, but I can't see the double lines normally used for them. Are there in fact no great rivers, or did their display change?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #14791 on: March 21, 2010, 07:29:37 am »

I guess that an island has by its nature less plains and so less great riversystems. . . it could just be a drainage setting also.
And He did mention rivers interacting with the underground in unwanted ways...

@roads generated by slimemould algorythmz: I think roads are just fairly straight lines from point A to point B at this time, not much pathing involved (to optimize the route for least height variance vs shortest distance).
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14792 on: March 21, 2010, 08:06:23 am »

Woh, Graxy boy, cool it with the posts. 1 at a time! The edit button is your friend!
but we need more posts.

POSTS FOR THE POST GOD!

TROLLS FOR THE TROLL THRONE!

Harriers for the cup!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14793 on: March 21, 2010, 08:08:29 am »

Woh, Graxy boy, cool it with the posts. 1 at a time! The edit button is your friend!
but we need more posts.

POSTS FOR THE POST GOD!

TROLLS FOR THE TROLL THRONE!

Harriers for the cup!

AND UNITED FOR THE LEAGUE!!!! HAR HAR HAR
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #14794 on: March 21, 2010, 08:19:17 am »

@roads generated by slimemould algorythmz: I think roads are just fairly straight lines from point A to point B at this time, not much pathing involved (to optimize the route for least height variance vs shortest distance).

Least-cost path* is really ideal and simple, considering that Toady has perfect GIS information to work from.

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:21:43 am by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14795 on: March 21, 2010, 08:42:29 am »

Ah thanks quatch that wiki is a nice addition to Algorithms stuff i have gathered.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Fictionpuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14796 on: March 21, 2010, 10:05:29 am »

but we need more posts.
Not really.

It's rumoured that buried somewhere in the lower 985 Z-levels, long forgotten and hidden even from the penetrating gaze of search engines, lies a promise from Toady that he will release when this thread reaches 1000.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14797 on: March 21, 2010, 10:16:31 am »

It's probably buried there, somewhere amongst the discussion of the arbitrary nature of the actual pages of posts, polite comments that pointless points add nothing to the discussion, and some very interesting de-rails that whilst adding nothing to the discussion throw up some very interesting further discussions that people didn't know they wanted to have.

But posting for postings sake?

I'm not sure that it is generally appreciated, all it does is deflect away from genuinely interesting posts within this thread.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14798 on: March 21, 2010, 10:22:35 am »

It would be good if someone could get hold of the elevation maps for the islands and then render some images of them (using Terragen or something similar) for me to admire.

Just saying, is all.

:P

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14799 on: March 21, 2010, 10:24:36 am »

It's probably buried there, somewhere amongst the discussion of the arbitrary nature of the actual pages of posts, polite comments that pointless points add nothing to the discussion, and some very interesting de-rails that whilst adding nothing to the discussion throw up some very interesting further discussions that people didn't know they wanted to have.

But posting for postings sake?

I'm not sure that it is generally appreciated, all it does is deflect away from genuinely interesting posts within this thread.
QFT! (It's so beautifully ironic, I had to!)

Aaanyway, it gives people something to do while we all wait. Sure, it gets in the way but it also keeps some people occupied who'd otherwise look somewhere else for their amusement. And hey, is it really that bad?

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14800 on: March 21, 2010, 10:30:17 am »

It's not that bad, no.

But I'm a miserable old sod so I have to try and spoil people's fun.

Now wipe that smile off your face and go write some morose poetry or press some flowers or something to wile away your days.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14801 on: March 21, 2010, 10:56:31 am »

Bonus points if you eventually perish from consumption.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #14802 on: March 21, 2010, 11:21:06 am »

I guess I'll be a buzzkill and say that it is not very respectful in my opinion (which may or may not qualify as "that" bad). To the posters who have questions, because their questions may be drowned out and may remain unanswered, or because the answers they get may be drowned out and remain unseen. And as such, also to the posters who provide the answers (contrary to popular opinion, it's not just Toady and Footkerchief, even though they're the major ones). Also to the posters who simply want to discuss the current dev log, when they're interrupted (and may get several new post warnings when trying to post themselves).
There's also no need to keep people occupied in this thread - I mean what for? Why shouldn't they go elsewhere for their amusement? These forums are big enough for everyone to find amusing threads to read and post in, "giving [them] something to do" without artificially inflating this thread. If it is so important that this thread has 1000 or more pages, everyone can switch their display options to 10 posts per page. That way, the 1000th page has been reached already. :P
As I said before, there is nothing wrong with some off-topic chatter. In a thread this size, that's almost inevitable. But deliberate spam is another story.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Gladius_Lucix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14803 on: March 21, 2010, 11:22:20 am »

Another question: Will we be able to make custom buildable items, like beds or doors, or are we just limited to workshops? Or can we just hack together a 1x1 workshop that tries to fill the same job as we wanted?
Resistance is NOT futile, IT MAKES TOAST!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14804 on: March 21, 2010, 11:23:20 am »

Bonus points if you eventually perish from consumption.
i'll perish from ennui

some pages ago the rummor was started that footkerchief and possibly others were secretlly testing the next version, i missed how the conversation developed, was this confirmed or something?
Pages: 1 ... 985 986 [987] 988 989 ... 1065