Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 981 982 [983] 984 985 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635354 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14730 on: March 20, 2010, 11:59:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

AUSTRALIA, HERE COME THE DWARVES!

I got rid of the snow display during world gen, made scorching areas available again, and added parameters and parameter sets to make worlds that are surrounded by water on all sides for people that like that look.

The top portion looks like the northern section of Australia, most of the big contient looks like Africa and part of the Middle East and that island in the southeast looks like China.

Anyways, good that the snow effect is gone now. I always found that annoying as it made good regions invisible, especially in the colder northern/southern parts of the world

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #14731 on: March 20, 2010, 12:15:59 pm »

I was looking for an answer and all I could find was this on the summary thread on the wiki:
There is a system in place that will try its best to keep your schedules staffed, going so far as finding replacements when soldiers get hungry/tired, as well as forcing soldiers to stay on duty if no replacements are found.

How fine is the new military scheduling system? Specifically, could I set a squad to be on duty one season, sparring one season, being non-military one season, and doing classroom work with their mst trained member during the last?

I guess that's really five questions, first is it possible to schedule like that and the rest for each of the possibilities.

On a related note: If such schedules are in, how granular can they be? Years, seasons, weeks, days?

Thanks!
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14732 on: March 20, 2010, 12:35:04 pm »

One problem is see is that on this map are rivers that start and end in the very same lake.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14733 on: March 20, 2010, 12:36:45 pm »

they started walking into water 6 of 7 deep if there was an available ramp, then scrambled right back out.

This also happens sometimes with civillian dwarves where if you have an available ramp and there is water that is more than 3 or 4 deep, and their path takes them in a way that they will try to use said ramp, resulting in job cancellations. Using a restricted path designation generally fixes this. Just letting you know if you weren't aware of this already.

@Heph: You mean the lakes that are in the mountain basins? That might just be a case of the river having nowhere else to go. Or possibly a remnant of the river that worldgen puts down initially.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:39:56 pm by smjjames »

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14734 on: March 20, 2010, 12:40:28 pm »

I don't mean to nit-pick, but... What does that map have to do with FotF?
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14735 on: March 20, 2010, 12:41:49 pm »

Its one of the preview maps that Toady posted on the devlog of ocean being completely around the world edge. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14736 on: March 20, 2010, 12:53:14 pm »

"Skeletal" slugmen and other oddities no longer occur (you can still get zombies).

Now there's a hard mental image to generate.  A skeletal invertebrate?  What would that even look like?

As for arthropods I would imagine they would look almost the same, since almost all their surface if made from chitin exoskeleton. Although they would be empty inside.
For invertebrates without exoskeleton it is really hard to imagine, I agree.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14737 on: March 20, 2010, 12:55:55 pm »

Ahhh. I had visited the dev_list page so much it had been cached, so I couldn't see the newest update.
Edit: Oooh, I'm really liking the worlds surrounded by ocean.
Edit2:
"Skeletal" slugmen and other oddities no longer occur (you can still get zombies).

Now there's a hard mental image to generate.  A skeletal invertebrate?  What would that even look like?

As for arthropods I would imagine they would look almost the same, since almost all their surface if made from chitin exoskeleton. Although they would be empty inside.
For invertebrates without exoskeleton it is really hard to imagine, I agree.
Well, the algorithm rots away everything but connecting tissue, bones, and chitin. Still, I don't know how it would handle a skeletal slugman
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:59:41 pm by monkeyfetus »
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14738 on: March 20, 2010, 01:02:22 pm »

It is a good habit to hit Refresh every time you look at the devlog, just to be sure.

Also I don't like how sites are currently created in a certain pattern. It is especially noticable at the Medium island map Toady posted. Look at the middle-right part of it, at the forest retreats. They are placed in a rows, with 6 tiles space between each other. I assume that Toady uses an algorithm that puts a new site in the closest available suitable tile, while keeping that distance. Would be nice to put more randomness into it to get more realistic looking placement.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 01:12:56 pm by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14739 on: March 20, 2010, 01:07:58 pm »

Well there are ways to achive that. for example you can seek for places with water, food, shelter etc in a certain direction and if you find one you can create there a settlement. Keeping a ceraitn distance might be helpful thought.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14740 on: March 20, 2010, 01:10:58 pm »

Also I don't like how sites are currently created in a certain pattern. It is especially noticable at the Medium island map Toady posted. Look at the middle-right part of it, at the forest retreats. They are placed in a rows, with 6 tiles space between each other.
And this is good. Now we can build our tanks without rudders. Just set the direction and start engines.  ;D
Finis sanctificat media.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #14741 on: March 20, 2010, 01:12:31 pm »

It is a good habit to hit Refresh every time you look at the devlog, just to be sure.

Or subscribe to the RSS feed. Then the dev log tells you when it updates!
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14742 on: March 20, 2010, 01:18:27 pm »

Or subscribe to the RSS feed. Then the dev log tells you when it updates!
The dev_list page was cached. It wasn't until I realized people were quoting a new update that I realized it and cleared the browser cache.
It's kind of ironic. I visited the page so frequently hoping for an update that it got cached and prevented me from seeing when one finally arrived.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 01:30:54 pm by monkeyfetus »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14743 on: March 20, 2010, 01:32:10 pm »

Also I don't like how sites are currently created in a certain pattern. It is especially noticable at the Medium island map Toady posted. Look at the middle-right part of it, at the forest retreats. They are placed in a rows, with 6 tiles space between each other. I assume that Toady uses an algorithm that puts a new site in the closest available suitable tile, while keeping that distance. Would be nice to put more randomness into it to get more realistic looking placement.

Making towns about the same distance apart makes sense to me. For instance, most of the small towns around where I live are all about seven miles apart or so, supposedly because when they were built that's how far a horse could carry milk before it spoiled.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14744 on: March 20, 2010, 01:43:21 pm »

Making towns about the same distance apart makes sense to me. For instance, most of the small towns around where I live are all about seven miles apart or so, supposedly because when they were built that's how far a horse could carry milk before it spoiled.
Wouldn't it make more sense to ride a cow to the other town, and then milk it there? Be fresher that way.
Pages: 1 ... 981 982 [983] 984 985 ... 1065