Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 972 973 [974] 975 976 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635149 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14595 on: March 18, 2010, 09:42:22 am »

...This also messed up soldier migrants, but I've compensated for that by giving migrants higher and more varied skills in general, including the skills of a former soldier at times.

Looking forward to seeing what the immigrants will be like in the new version. It was a change I certainly did not expect.  ;D

Indeed.

This brings up a thought: Toady, will we be able to set up defaults for squads for entities at some point in the raws? Or are entities going to have squad uniforms and whatnot programatically generated at some point?

It'd be really interesting to see different squads during sieges or as an adventurer. Imagine a human army attacking you with several nobles from different cities, each with their soldiers wearing their own specific colors and armors and bearing shields with the city's symbol on it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14596 on: March 18, 2010, 09:44:29 am »

...This also messed up soldier migrants, but I've compensated for that by giving migrants higher and more varied skills in general, including the skills of a former soldier at times.

Looking forward to seeing what the immigrants will be like in the new version. It was a change I certainly did not expect.  ;D

I agree. This was the highlight of todays devlog for me, as you say, very unexpected but a nice surprise.

We might also be quite happy when we get a barrage of 'Proficient Cheesemakers'! Could be just the thing to boost the economy!

Todestool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14597 on: March 18, 2010, 10:43:22 am »

Milk!

Is there a limit to how often a milkable creature can be milked, or a point at which said animal would be "tapped out" and no longer milkable?

I'm imagining six milker dwarves tag-teaming one camel for a 24/7 operation, and while horrifying amusing, I would expect a serious milk industry to require more than one animal to be effective.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14598 on: March 18, 2010, 11:02:45 am »

Has instant game over conditions been brought back?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:05:00 am by PsyberianHusky »
Thank you based dwarf.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14599 on: March 18, 2010, 11:19:00 am »

I do not believe so, no. The entire idea was a bit silly, after all. It's much more fun to see what destroyed your dwarves, and know you had a chance to fight back.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14600 on: March 18, 2010, 11:41:43 am »

ended up making reclaim civilian

Hopefully we can start things out with a good retinue of skills rather than all of them starting with various soldier skills.

Any idea when DF will start using colors beyond the 16 its stuck with for now? I mean, you gave wood colors in the new release which will help with variety, but in RL most wood is some shade of brown and there is only one shade of brown in the game, currently available anyway. Meanwhile, in the colors article in the wiki, there are 91 various colors possible accross the rainbow which dyes are suppoused to use, but they default to the 16 available. We seem to be getting to the point where more color variety would be good.

Also, the wiki says that it has to be written in hexadecimal or something in the raws, which may hint at much more than 91 bieng possible.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:45:20 am by smjjames »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14601 on: March 18, 2010, 12:01:48 pm »

Has the bug with hostile units turning friendly after a reclaim been fixed? Just his that bug this morning, where a fortress was lost to an ambush early on. When I went to reclaim the ambushers were hanging around, but friendly. Very annoying, since I wanted to mete justice out!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14602 on: March 18, 2010, 12:03:57 pm »

Has the bug with hostile units turning friendly after a reclaim been fixed? Just his that bug this morning, where a fortress was lost to an ambush early on. When I went to reclaim the ambushers were hanging around, but friendly. Very annoying, since I wanted to mete justice out!

I've heard that such units will turn hostile again the next time an ambush or siege shows up. I don't do reclaims, so I can't say from personal experience.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14603 on: March 18, 2010, 12:40:39 pm »

I'm very glad that reclaim parties will be civilian now. I hated the huge piles of equipment that needed to be sorted out when I deactivated the squads. Often, I don't reclaim precisely because sorting everything out becomes too much of a chore with all the junk they discard in the dining room or around the wagon.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14604 on: March 18, 2010, 01:22:14 pm »

i never could get how reclaim parties worked anyway. does this mean that they work like the starting seven?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14605 on: March 18, 2010, 01:24:39 pm »

I remember when I used to purposely generate failed fortresses with cheated HFS and abandon them. Then I reclaimed it and abandoned it again so I would have a huge source of adventurer party members.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14606 on: March 18, 2010, 02:18:26 pm »

You're looking at it the wrong way. Not why do we have beards, but why did we lose all our other hair?

Cats don't have beards, because cats have fur.
On the premise that beard is testosterone triggered hair we would think that it was different from the neck hair of cats as both genders have that, though I can't say if males have more hair there in many mammal species, aside from those which have so much we call it a mane.

You're looking at it the wrong way. Not why do we have beards, but why did we lose all our other hair?

Because it's harder to shed heat when you're covered in fur.

Saw the docu Becoming Human today and that was the main theory they purported. Didn't catch why we managed to keep things like pubic hair (which always confused me), head hair made sense in colder climes, and thick hair growth on the body is connected to testosterone in humans (unrelated to the docu).
Pubic hair is springy and acts as a damper during a certain motion. Many people that shave it off have irritation there, and not from the hair growing back or being scratched by stubble.

Because it's harder to shed heat when you're covered in fur.

Saw the docu Becoming Human today and that was the main theory they purported. Didn't catch why we managed to keep things like pubic hair (which always confused me), head hair made sense in colder climes, and thick hair growth on the body is connected to testosterone in humans (unrelated to the docu).

From my understanding its body temperature regulation and before human lost the ability to do phomena some of that to.

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but here's a side-note:

Humans have been incredibly good hunters because they hunted through endurance hunting. They simply could chase animals for so long that the animal would become exhausted while the human could keep going. We managed that through temperature regulation--we sweated and we had very little body hair. Without that fur, we would not overheat and dehydrate and all that bad stuff.

As far as pubic hair goes, I have no idea for females, but I speculate (only speculate) that pubic hair might have stayed on men, potentially and partially, to help keep the epididymis warm so that sperm didn't die. I learned in high school health classes that sperm needs a remarkably regulated temperature to stay alive and so I'm guessing some sort of link from that to pubic hair.
I'd say that is probably not the reason. If you want them warm you can just have them closer to or even up in the body. They are outside of it in the first place for the lower temperature.

Ooh! Then an adventurer could quest around the world, earning the trust and learning the techniques of the legendary senseis as he went!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Could have just thrown the word "many" in front of legendary.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14607 on: March 18, 2010, 02:41:35 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I would actually imagine it's unrelated; its persistence in women aside, they're already held out from the body to cool them and muscles in the scrotum can contract to bring them closer in order to warm things up if it gets too cold out.

Although, perhaps pubic hair lets the temperature be more evenly distributed from side to side (instead of being all warm on the body side and all cold on the other, I don't know if there's any significant difference that blood flow can't handle). Not sure on the physics there, that'd probably require testing I want no part of.

considering the placement of pubic hair, the theory of it's purpose that I've always found the most compelling is that it acts as another layer of padding during copulation (since it's often bushy and wiry, so should somewhat absorb the energy in an impact) as there's also a layer of fat in that area on most people that also serves that purpose

As for the rest of human body hair... it's still there, but very light(on most people) I believe that a combination of living in warmer climates as an endurance predator and wearing clothing have made the rest of body hair largely unnecessary, so it isn't selected for. Most people still have body hair, it's just light and unnoticed.

Oh, and I know one person has suggested that the hair on people's fronts has been selected against because it interferes with the 'natural' sex posture of humans (missionary) but I think that was made up by people who believe that people should only use missionary. :P
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14608 on: March 18, 2010, 02:44:25 pm »

why in the name of Armok are we still talking about pubic hair?!

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=a-bushel-of-facts-about-the-uniquen-2010-03-01

now can we stop wasting forum space on how bizarre dick-weed is? seriously.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 02:48:26 pm by greenwatering »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14609 on: March 18, 2010, 02:55:31 pm »

Back to more important topics:

Having one or two soldiers in the migrants is a pretty nice thing. This former soldiers can train a squad of peasants into a team of bad-ass invader desintegrators. The biggest advantage is that we can get some proficient soldiers from scratch without loosing to many trainees to the vile forces.

Another side-effect is that we get pretty early in the game a battle hardened sheriff/fortress-guard. For free actually + riots can be put down without serious causalities.

The more randomized skills might also help by providing a trader and a accounter for the administration.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 972 973 [974] 975 976 ... 1065