Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 971 972 [973] 974 975 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635103 times)

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14580 on: March 18, 2010, 04:05:35 am »

But when will the game be done!?     :p

Eight years.

YOU CAN DO IT TOADY! 2 MORE YEARS TO GO!

You just destroyed the dreams of dozens of people.
So?
Clearly you have no shame.
You can fix it with magma. Have it running down this mini-piramid, it'll be awesome!

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14581 on: March 18, 2010, 04:41:52 am »

Eight years.

So?
You can fix it with magma. Have it running down this mini-piramid, it'll be awesome!

we need more posts
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14582 on: March 18, 2010, 04:47:23 am »

Speaking of that thread, another reverse funny aneurism -
Oh, I should also say that the movies might be displaying the wrong ascii characters for some people, since I use the higher order ones from 128-255.  I still haven't found a Windows fix for this (although Kevin has for linux).  I'm not sure, but ever since Angband added tile support, it seems they just use their own fonts and render the ascii characters themselves, graphically.  I might end up doing the same thing with Open GL.  It would be a sad day...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #14583 on: March 18, 2010, 04:59:20 am »

Do you guys think that Legendary Wrestlers pull of Fist of the North Star style crap from time to time? Like, they just punch people and watch them explode?

Urist McKenshiro: "aaaaAAATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATAAAAA!!!"
Bronze Colossus: "Wh-what...are...y-you..."
Urist McKenshiro: "You are already dead."
Bronze Colossus: "N-noooo...!!"
Bronze Colossus's body explodes in gore!
Bronze Colossus has been struck down!

I had to. :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

we need more posts
WE REQUIRE MORE VESPINE GA-- uhhh, wait.

All of a sudden, I'm reminded of a D&D discussion on another forum, during which we questioned the number of level 0 children it would take to kill a level 20 fighter, given the scenario that the fighter is on the Plane of Infinite Homicidal Children.

I believe the agreed upon total was just over 6 billion (fewer if they died in such a manner that the fighter would be covered in a pile of corpses that eventually suffocates him, I believe the number for this scenario was decided to be a mere 10000), before the discussion degraded into arguments about how the fighter should be best built to specifically survive as long as possible.  The ability to sleep 8 hours per day, while still being constantly attacked by children, was involved.
I can SO imagine this happening in DF adventure mode. Oh joy.

Also, I would like to hijack this tread just a little bit to express my thoughts about DF2010:

*ahem*

I was not even interested what features of the new version will be. Few weeks (couple of months or so?) ago I stumbled upon DF2010 article on DFwiki by chance.

After about 10 paragraphs I was struck down by the fact that the amount of changes in the upcoming version will be almost...unfair to the older ones.
Gosh, I can hardly wait.

That is all.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14584 on: March 18, 2010, 05:05:31 am »

that's interesting- can you grab enemy by the beard, while wrestling?

Not yet.  The wrestling system only lets you grab body parts, and beards aren't body parts in themselves, but a tissue layer on a body part.  It's a dev item though:

# Bloat75, MINOR PUNISHMENT, (Future): Minor punishments like fines and beard shaving and permanent marks. Beard shaving implies beards, which implies wrestling with hair.

Incidentally, the distinction between body parts and tissue layers is also the reason you can't yet grab someone's compound fracture:

Quote from: Footkerchief
Quote from: LordNagash
Also, another question I just came up with while writing this - if someone has a compund break, can you target the bone sticking out of the skin with wrestling? Because wow, that wound be insanely disturbing/awesome

We have a power goal for using a compound fracture for something, I think, but right now since it is a tissue and not a body part, it doesn't have special targeting.  Beards also have this problem.  It'll need to be handled later.  Guts that have popped out are a full body part, so they work.

What about the bones that are implemented as body parts, e.g. ribs?  Can those get compound-fractured and then targeted, or just shoved around inside the body?  In general, how are BP-bones treated differently from tissue-bones?

They can poke out through the body, but it doesn't recognize it in the same way as a popped out gut, because the compound fracture code always refers to the tissue, even if it is a single tissue body part.  Their BP status gives them the ability to surround things in specific ways and to otherwise be related to multiple parts, but the wrestling problem for them is still related to the tissue stuff and it'll probably all be taken care of at once.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14585 on: March 18, 2010, 05:09:38 am »

I just hope Chariot will be able to update his tileset quickly. I like his tileset.
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14586 on: March 18, 2010, 05:37:30 am »

that's interesting- can you grab enemy by the beard, while wrestling?

Not yet.  The wrestling system only lets you grab body parts, and beards aren't body parts in themselves, but a tissue layer on a body part.  It's a dev item though:

# Bloat75, MINOR PUNISHMENT, (Future): Minor punishments like fines and beard shaving and permanent marks. Beard shaving implies beards, which implies wrestling with hair.

Incidentally, the distinction between body parts and tissue layers is also the reason you can't yet grab someone's compound fracture:

Quote from: Footkerchief
Quote from: LordNagash
Also, another question I just came up with while writing this - if someone has a compund break, can you target the bone sticking out of the skin with wrestling? Because wow, that wound be insanely disturbing/awesome

We have a power goal for using a compound fracture for something, I think, but right now since it is a tissue and not a body part, it doesn't have special targeting.  Beards also have this problem.  It'll need to be handled later.  Guts that have popped out are a full body part, so they work.

What about the bones that are implemented as body parts, e.g. ribs?  Can those get compound-fractured and then targeted, or just shoved around inside the body?  In general, how are BP-bones treated differently from tissue-bones?

They can poke out through the body, but it doesn't recognize it in the same way as a popped out gut, because the compound fracture code always refers to the tissue, even if it is a single tissue body part.  Their BP status gives them the ability to surround things in specific ways and to otherwise be related to multiple parts, but the wrestling problem for them is still related to the tissue stuff and it'll probably all be taken care of at once.

with popping-out bones new question arises: how will we knew about this? i mean, there's just 5 different colors to describe wounds. or it will be logged in battle report/announcements?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14587 on: March 18, 2010, 05:39:32 am »

The colors will be changed, for one. Compound fractures won't be denoted by a special color, methinks, but they'll surely be mentioned in any descriptive paragraph of your character.

Btw, I know what I'll do if the release doesn't happen by April 1st. Hehehehe....
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14588 on: March 18, 2010, 06:29:36 am »

what happened to updates? either toady are prepearing for release or he hasn't been home for few days.
Or there nothing really to report.

Bug testing isn't exactly the most exciting thing to report.

Better than nothing. Gives the impression that he's atleast doing something ;)
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14589 on: March 18, 2010, 07:15:43 am »

come on people, discuss, discuss, only 27 pages left

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14590 on: March 18, 2010, 07:19:37 am »

Do you guys think that Legendary Wrestlers pull of Fist of the North Star style crap from time to time? Like, they just punch people and watch them explode?

Urist McKenshiro: "aaaaAAATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATAAAAA!!!"
Bronze Colossus: "Wh-what...are...y-you..."
Urist McKenshiro: "You are already dead."
Bronze Colossus: "N-noooo...!!"
Bronze Colossus's body explodes in gore!
Bronze Colossus has been struck down!

I had to. :P

Thank you. Thank you so much.

I just finished Part 1 of Fist of the North Star. Armok would be very proud of Kenshiro.

Also, off-topic:

But, as I said in my original posts, I seriously hope we see something like a certain martial art for a civilisation, generated when the world starts. I'd go with, it changes their behaviour (the wrestlers) to work a certain way, i.e. break your opponents joints before finishing him, or punch him in a certain part, or continuously throw an opponent to the ground whenever they get up, etc.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14591 on: March 18, 2010, 08:30:01 am »

Ooh! Then an adventurer could quest around the world, earning the trust and learning the techniques of the legendary senseis as he went!
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14592 on: March 18, 2010, 09:05:13 am »

DF is a violent and disgusting game and I've certainly gotten used to that over the years. However, reading this,

made me wince in real life. I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the day that becomes a possibility.

Compound fractures won't be denoted by a special color, methinks, but they'll surely be mentioned in any descriptive paragraph of your character.

The color system has been redone to be more general.
White - Body part works just fine
Yellow - Impaired body part
Red - Broken or otherwise useless body part
Cyan - Organs have lost some of their function

I imagine there is some sort of 5th color to represent a minor injurt that causes no impairment. For instance, from the pictures of arena mode we see the gnome has a yellow lower leg after getting the bone bruised. I can't imagine that same yellow would also represent a scratch.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14593 on: March 18, 2010, 09:07:38 am »

...This also messed up soldier migrants, but I've compensated for that by giving migrants higher and more varied skills in general, including the skills of a former soldier at times.

Looking forward to seeing what the immigrants will be like in the new version. It was a change I certainly did not expect.  ;D
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14594 on: March 18, 2010, 09:14:23 am »

Eight years.

So?
MrWiggles is throwing a tantrum!
MrWiggles has destroyed a Dream!
Pages: 1 ... 971 972 [973] 974 975 ... 1065