Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634948 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14490 on: March 17, 2010, 01:52:34 pm »

Hey, if stones have had a material rewrite, does that mean that you'll need to think carefully about what stones you use for them? Will things like sandstone be put aside in favour of lead-holding ores?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14491 on: March 17, 2010, 01:59:37 pm »

In the new release, will your citizens still not care that they're on fire?

Bob- "Dude, you're on fire!"
!!Leeroy!!- "Fire? Whatever, man."
Bob- "Dammit Leeroy."
!!Leeroy!!- "At least I have kitten."

Fixed.

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14492 on: March 17, 2010, 02:06:00 pm »

Bob- "Dammit Leeroy."
!!Leeroy!!- "At least I have !!kitten!!."

Fixed.

**Fixed.
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14493 on: March 17, 2010, 02:16:35 pm »

Unfortunately, it looks like !!Dwarfs!! have been unchanged:

Quote from: Dwarfu
Will hospital staff correctly diagnose !!dwarf!! as a state that needs water applied?

Also,

Since sutures are 'worn' in inventory, will they be able to catch fire like clothing?

Fire is still as it was with regard to dwarves giving a crap as far as I remember.  Sutures are part of the inventory and subject to such issues, which is kind of sick.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14494 on: March 17, 2010, 02:30:54 pm »

I wonder how much the materials rewrite will affect prices; in my opinion it isn't fine-grained enough: common stone should be worth pennies; not one dwarfbuck. This would allow for more reasonable crafts.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #14495 on: March 17, 2010, 02:40:37 pm »

I wonder how much the materials rewrite will affect prices; in my opinion it isn't fine-grained enough: common stone should be worth pennies; not one dwarfbuck. This would allow for more reasonable crafts.

I'd watch out, it looks like toady hates floating point numbers. We might end up counting in nanoDwarfbucks if we get your wish for sub 1db costs.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14496 on: March 17, 2010, 02:47:09 pm »

That's fine with me; it can be handled internally as INT or even BCD; I just want stones that aren't zero but very close to it.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14497 on: March 17, 2010, 02:57:16 pm »

I'd watch out, it looks like toady hates floating point numbers. We might end up counting in nanoDwarfbucks if we get your wish for sub 1db costs.
You don't need a float for decimalized currency; in fact, it's a very wasteful way to do it.  Currency is fixed-point, not floating point, so you just have to add a period when you display them (or trim off the last two digits, when you don't care about them.)

However, the entire concept of things having a fixed and concrete value is questionable.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14498 on: March 17, 2010, 03:02:14 pm »

Well, if layers do indeed lower the chance of getting your arm looped off by a single strike, then weapon traps will be nerfed by a significant bit on the next release. Spikes and cage traps should still be pretty effective though.
I think getting hit 10-50 times in one turn is going to hurt just about anything. Obsidian-Sword-Loaded weapon traps are my mainstay.

Currently working on my 'Hall of a Thousand Swords'. Most will be encrusted with the bones of those who didn't make it past even the first row.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14499 on: March 17, 2010, 03:05:54 pm »

Hey Toady, i've heard you gonna make little fixes and additions after A release, so heres questions/requests, i'm particulary interested in minor code improvements that may be simple for you, but add drastic modding possibilities, and thus change gameplay.

We have a whole forum dedicated to requests.  It even has a "Small Suggestions Thread" for posting ideas that are perceived to be easy for Toady to implement.  Eternal Suggestion Voting is the most effective place to express approval for ideas that have already been posted as suggestions.

Oh silly me. But in part it's questions, so do you or somebody else here knows about requrements for noble to be appointed?

You can't set a skill level requirement for nobles in the next version, no (if that was the question part).

This gives me another idea: teenage dwarves should hang out together. From time to time, it would be interesting if they would form a "work team" and go do some (anti-royal guard?) graffiti on the walls, i.e. unwated engravings. When the adults aren't looking, of course. It could be hilarious if they end up engraving the nobles' rooms and giving them bad thoughts, or something like that.

There have actually been a couple Suggestions threads about graffiti:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5971.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27180.0

In another question, I have a fortress where my military are all marksdwarves and wrestlers. I got sick of my fort piled high with chunks and various limbs of our enemies, where wrestling and crossbows are a bit neater. Do broken bolts get removed over seasons or otherwise degrade? They will never get hauled, is that right?

Bolts (and other ammo) that are truly broken don't show up as items at all -- they just look like broken-up terrain or something.  However, sometimes bolts fall to the ground intact -- these won't degrade, but they'll be hauled as long as they're not forbidden and the "Dwarves gather refuse from outside" order is turned on.

Also regarding civilian vs military dwarves, any likelihood of dwarves being able to go around always armed or, at least, always armored? This strikes me as a particularly dorfy thing to do ( everyone ready for a rumble, always ), especially in evil biomes........perhaps bad thoughts or penalties to workmanship for dwarves having to work in armors?

You can get your "civilians" to wear armor in the next version by drafting them, leaving them off duty all the time, and ordering them to wear their uniforms when off duty.  As for arming civilians, that came up:

With the new squad/civilian equipment stuff, we are slowly crawling toward things like throwing weapons and civilian daggers (or would civilian hatchets make more sense for dwarves?), but for now there's nothing new and thrown.

Is the new version planned to address any of the expoity stuff, like the atom smasher, or quantum stockpiling?

I for one would like my drawbridges to do something bit more bloody then smash stuff out of existence.

Those two are unchanged, but the "draft to end break" exploit has been addressed.

Toady, is it possible that you could start giving major versions (versions that are likely to break compatibility or where the game mechanics change significantly) non-version number names (think Ubuntu's name system) so that we can have an easy way of referring to versions that doesn't risk confusion (like "40d" might)? This would definitely help out on the wiki where we're trying to figure out how to deal with keeping data for different versions. And I'm sure it would help out with mods and utilities to have a nice way to state version aside from the numbers themselves.

If the confusion is solely due to the 40d## branch, that's a temporary thing.  We'll be back to unambiguous version numbers after the release (or after the merge, at any rate).

Too bad the way the game is structured you can't have your legendary adventurer simply dog piled by tons of enemies and crushed to death.

I believe there is a penalty for being dogpiled.

I don't think there's a current penalty (unless getting subsequently punched to death counts), but there's a dev item for it:

# Bloat135, WRESTLING, (Future): Track who is lowest if a bunch of people are wrestling in a square and start to crush them.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14500 on: March 17, 2010, 03:51:05 pm »

From a real-world perspective, common stone can actually be quite valuable, depending on the stone and what you're using it for.  Granite counter tops, for example. The real problem here is supply and demand. Crafts and mugs wouldn't be so ridiculous if their value dropped the more you traded. This should be getting looked at during the Caravan Arc.

As for the current material rewrites, values remain arbitrary and, from the appearance of the various material raws Toady posted, their values remain unchanged. Of course, that was about 15 months ago, but I imagine the value tags have probably not been changed.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Dwarf Therapist
« Reply #14501 on: March 17, 2010, 03:59:48 pm »

Dwarf Therapist 0.4.2 for d19. I know everybody's waiting this.

Create   v0.28.181.40d19.ini :
Code: [Select]
[info]
checksum                = 0x4b918bb9
version_name            = v0.28.181.40d19

[addresses]
translation_vector      = 0x015591c4
language_vector         = 0x01559194
creature_vector         = 0x01512eec
dwarf_race_index        = 0x013409f0

[offsets]
word_table              = 0x0058
current_job_id          = 0x0008

[dwarf_offsets]
first_name              = 0x0000
nick_name               = 0x001C
last_name               = 0x0038
custom_profession       = 0x006c
profession              = 0x0088
race                    = 0x008C
flags1                  = 0x00FC
flags2                  = 0x0100
sex                     = 0x010A
id                      = 0x010C
squad_name              = 0x01D8
squad_leader_id         = 0x0268
money                   = 0x02F8
current_job             = 0x0314
strength                = 0x04f0
agility                 = 0x04f4
toughness               = 0x04f8
skills                  = 0x0504
labors                  = 0x0544
happiness               = 0x0610
traits                  = 0x0700

[flags]
flags1.invalidate       = 0xe38c0
flags2.invalidate       = 0x40080

Edit  game_data.ini :
Code: [Select]
[checksum_to_version]
# linux
0xdab3ce6b = v0.28.181.40d14
0x4f55a1dc = v0.28.181.40d15
0x22b9339 = v0.28.181.40d16
0x8f55a625 = v0.28.181.40d17
0x777e7d67 = v0.28.181.40d18

#windows

0x4b918bb9 = v0.28.181.40d19
Finis sanctificat media.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14502 on: March 17, 2010, 04:21:28 pm »

My question is: Will this tread reach 1000 before the game drops?

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #14503 on: March 17, 2010, 04:27:35 pm »

My question is: Will this tread reach 1000 before the game drops?

Yes.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14504 on: March 17, 2010, 04:27:50 pm »

why is this such an issue!?
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 1065