Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 964 965 [966] 967 968 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634876 times)

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14475 on: March 17, 2010, 12:59:57 pm »

i always get stuck with more workers than i need, so i don't mind have an excessively large army, but i do wish that goblins were more brutal.

instead of having an annoying ambush every season. i wish there was an actually threatening seige like once a year.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14476 on: March 17, 2010, 01:03:49 pm »

I'm sure once improved sieges are coded you'll suddenly find those goblins a lot more threatening.

For now, I guess we'll have to settle for truly daunting megabeasts and whatever horrors lurk beneath the ground.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14477 on: March 17, 2010, 01:06:50 pm »

already i had forgot how cool it will be that there will be unending attacks from the deep.

isn't there going to be cave lakes where creatures can swim in from outside the map?

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14478 on: March 17, 2010, 01:10:26 pm »

Cave tunnels, too, underground highways; basically, infinite supplies of baddies inside.

However, as cage/stone traps are still as powerful as ever, it shouldn't be too hard.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14479 on: March 17, 2010, 01:11:23 pm »

Actually...do we know that stonefall traps are as powerful as they were before? With the material rewrite, they may not be.

Cage traps are still overpowered, of course.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14480 on: March 17, 2010, 01:12:01 pm »

again, as a matter of principle i don't OD on traps.

although in 40d, cave-ins and large rooms of cage traps was a great way to deal with HFS.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14481 on: March 17, 2010, 01:14:58 pm »

We haven't heard anything about the stonefall trap stuff, but yea with the material rewrite, the effectiveness will vary. Should still be lethal to an unarmoured goblin theif or wrestler (which have at most, leather armor).

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14482 on: March 17, 2010, 01:18:57 pm »

i think in the new version, i heard way back there that hammers where going to be the most lethal of the weapons, i would think that blunt force than is the way to go.

in which case, stone fall traps might be just as good, if not better.

i'm hypothesizing that the materials rewrite is going to just about nerf everything else until Toady does some fixes.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14483 on: March 17, 2010, 01:22:56 pm »

It's going to depend a lot on what you're fighting. Blunt force shouldn't work quite as well as blades or piercing against unarmored opponents, but will still be effective against armored opponents where blades have a harder time. Figuring out what weapons to use against which enemies should prove interesting.

And then you have things like the Bronze Colossus, which is probably best attacking using an Adamantine blade to cut it to pieces since bashing it probably won't do much more then dent it a little.
Come play Mafia with us!

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14484 on: March 17, 2010, 01:24:56 pm »

can armor get the xx,xX,XX tags like clothing?
can armor get fixed?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14485 on: March 17, 2010, 01:26:22 pm »

Maybe goblins could be used as a standard to work from since their damage resistance would be pretty much the same all around and most siegers/ambushers have no quality armor. I know the material rewrite is going to make it quite different, but should still work as a standard.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14486 on: March 17, 2010, 01:39:35 pm »

Well, if layers do indeed lower the chance of getting your arm looped off by a single strike, then weapon traps will be nerfed by a significant bit on the next release. Spikes and cage traps should still be pretty effective though.

Since we don't know how exactly layers react to blunt damage as of now, I guess we can't estimate how useful stonefall traps will be.

Anyway, this makes me happy because Iron Men and Bronze Collossi won't be pushovers anymore.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14487 on: March 17, 2010, 01:41:47 pm »

Not only will they not be pushovers, but a single iron man in a fort without iron or steel (or adamantine, obviously) would basically be enough to spell the end of any fort.

As it should be!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14488 on: March 17, 2010, 01:50:02 pm »

Well, if layers do indeed lower the chance of getting your arm looped off by a single strike, then weapon traps will be nerfed by a significant bit on the next release. Spikes and cage traps should still be pretty effective though.

Since we don't know how exactly layers react to blunt damage as of now, I guess we can't estimate how useful stonefall traps will be.

Anyway, this makes me happy because Iron Men and Bronze Collossi won't be pushovers anymore.

Yea, right now, Bronze Collossi rarely survive beyond the first decade or two of worldgen. I think I saw one who managed to survive for more than a century. Not sure if that one was just in a very remote location or simply got lucky. They would usually be lucky to survive past the first two decades, but even then.

As for the Iron Men, I've only seen ONE in all the embarks I've done. Not sure why they are so rare, but anyways there will be fun to be had in more ways than one.

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14489 on: March 17, 2010, 01:50:59 pm »

In the new release, will your citizens still not care that they're on fire?

Bob- "Dude, you're on fire!"
!!Leeroy!!- "Fire? Whatever, man."
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."
Pages: 1 ... 964 965 [966] 967 968 ... 1065