Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627515 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1320 on: March 25, 2009, 07:44:33 pm »

Ignore that 'Gnome Castle' Forum that's under construction over at Port 13.
For they would be your masters.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: March 25, 2009, 07:58:15 pm »

Cannot be DF if it has electromagnetic pulses. :P
It is written that electronics don't exist in the Dimensions of Planes...or any other DF universe.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Gauphastus

• Bay Watcher
  • y hello der
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: March 25, 2009, 11:03:02 pm »

Toady stated multiple times that:

1. it is another game and
2. has nothing to do with DF

Another game, yeah. That's right.
Is it.. is it top secret?
Where are our spies? Pull them off all current operations. We must uncover the secret of this MEP.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: March 25, 2009, 11:06:29 pm »

Toady already mentioned everything inside the donor's section of the forums. Didn't you guys read it yet?

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: March 26, 2009, 12:38:28 am »

Toady already mentioned everything inside the donor's section of the forums. Didn't you guys read it yet?

Well played, bloody well played.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

tomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: March 26, 2009, 05:36:43 am »

• Consider rope/ladder/etc. building particularly for downward movement into large open spaces
I'd say that just considering it is not enough.

I'm now in the process of making a hanging fort inside a giant cave (that I have to carve myself, but whatever ;D) and the fact that I can't build downward ramps/stairs/anything is bloody irritating.

With new map features and caves spanning multiple levels, amount of people that will find this limiting will only increase. Toady, please, do it!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: March 26, 2009, 06:02:27 am »

• Consider rope/ladder/etc. building particularly for downward movement into large open spaces

I'm now in the process of making a hanging fort inside a giant cave (that I have to carve myself, but whatever ;D) and the fact that I can't build downward ramps/stairs/anything is bloody irritating.

With new map features and caves spanning multiple levels, amount of people that will find this limiting will only increase. Toady, please, do it!

If you haven't already, you can vote for the idea in Eternal Suggestions Voting.

zagabar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: March 26, 2009, 06:23:20 am »

I would be very enlightened to cut of the stone that holds that fortress up! >:)

It't nothing personal, I just cant resist smiling when I see cave-ins in DF and that would be one big nice cave-in. =)

tomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: March 26, 2009, 06:51:39 am »

If you haven't already, you can vote for the idea in Eternal Suggestions Voting.
I know, but there are things that are more irritating to me and are not included in the devlog for the next version.

I would be very enlightened to cut of the stone that holds that fortress up! >:)

It't nothing personal, I just cant resist smiling when I see cave-ins in DF and that would be one big nice cave-in. =)

then you'd have to basically mine whole level holding the fortress up, I'm making supports every 10 or so blocks.

None taken, you're not the only one who likes to watch big cave-ins  8)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 07:04:01 am by tomato »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: March 26, 2009, 07:07:09 am »

I know, but there are things that are more irritating to me and are not included in the devlog for the next version.

We all have feature requests that we personally care most about.  ESV is one of the best ways of expressing those concerns, and Toady is going to be working on high-ranked ESV entries for the release after this upcoming one.  And seriously, even a "Consider" in the List is better than most feature requests get.

This thread isn't really a great place for feature requests anyway, so if you want to voice your opinion on the merits/importance of ladders, you could bump one of these fine vintage threads:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27742.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=20863.0

zagabar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: March 26, 2009, 08:54:01 am »

then you'd have to basically mine whole level holding the fortress up, I'm making supports every 10 or so blocks.

None taken, you're not the only one who likes to watch big cave-ins  8)

It is worth it. It's even worth constructing a fortress like that just to raze it. ^^

I think that a weakness for cave-ins are part of the dwarven maddness that seems to be spreading in here.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: March 26, 2009, 09:41:39 am »

Toady stated multiple times that:

1. it is another game and
2. has nothing to do with DF

Another game, yeah. That's right.
Is it.. is it top secret?
Where are our spies? Pull them off all current operations. We must uncover the secret of this MEP.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: March 26, 2009, 09:43:56 am »

We all have feature requests that we personally care most about.  ESV is one of the best ways of expressing those concerns, and Toady is going to be working on high-ranked ESV entries for the release after this upcoming one.  And seriously, even a "Consider" in the List is better than most feature requests get.

This thread isn't really a great place for feature requests anyway, so if you want to voice your opinion on the merits/importance of ladders, you could bump one of these fine vintage threads:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27742.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=20863.0

The problem with ESV is... well, there are a couple

For one thing, given that it's democratic suggestion voting, cool-sounding things might get preference over necessary-yet-seemingly-more-boring things.

But my major problem with it is that the different suggestions differ MASSIVELY in scope, size, difficulty of programming, etc.

And there's also often a difference between "things we want right now" (urgent suggestions) and "things we want the most" (wishlists), although obviously there's going to be an overlap.

The fact is that simple suggestions like that, even good ones, likely won't be anywhere close to the top 10 considering the current voting model. I mean, if people only have three votes to throw around, they're going to choose the most juicy ones, and especially the broad ones, for instance "farming improvements"/"graphics support"/"improved hauling". Simple little suggestions don't really see the light of day except for the person who made them to begin with, and people who are basically willing to sacrifice their votes.

I guess what I'm saying is that ESV works fine for suggestions along the same lines of size and scope, but that's it. Maybe if we could vote/rank suggestions up and down without limit, that would work, but then again everybody wants everything to some degree, so they'd all just end up getting A+++ WOULD SUGGEST AGAIN and the whole thing would be pointless.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: March 26, 2009, 09:54:10 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The last few posts over in the main ESV thread were talking about the possibility of using a pair-wise comparison to try and rank which options people wanted most relative to the others.  I have no idea how much of a pain that would be to code, but it seems like a good idea. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:06:11 am by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: March 26, 2009, 10:47:51 am »

The last few posts over in the main ESV thread were talking about the possibility of using a pair-wise comparison to try and rank which options people wanted most relative to the others.  I have no idea how much of a pain that would be to code, but it seems like a good idea. 

If everyone puts in their order of preference (even a partial order), a matrix-adding method like Condorcet or Schulze can be used. These yield a single winner, but they can be used to find a total ranking or a set of N winners by repeatedly removing single winners from the set.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 1065