Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631403 times)

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12075 on: February 08, 2010, 09:49:49 am »

*dances*

That will take *so* much of the pain out of site searching. The occasional requirement of raw glass for moods always compelled me to find a site with sand, now I'm freee
It'll start sparing the dwarfs I loose to those moods for mostly ending up somewhere without sand.

A great addition indeed! Now I think only water remains, unless those waterskins happen to include it. Thanks!   :)

I wonder if it'd be possible to import magma (without being an elf)...  ;D
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #12076 on: February 08, 2010, 09:52:56 am »

[UNDER_PRESSURE] is only on the guts though, so the distinction will only matter for mods at this point.  Any pop-out will currently cause the two '~' to follow you around, even if the modded part is small.

It should also cause you to be followed around by a rockin' bassline.

Ice, ice, b...  wait...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12077 on: February 08, 2010, 09:56:14 am »

@Snelg: You'd have to trade LOTS of water for that to be practical, not to mention that in order for it to be economical, you'd have to be on Arrakis.

Quote from: from the devlog
One of the fun new things down below has some critters in it, but it's not as fun if the critters are set to be wilderness creatures and so eventually roam off of the map, leaving the fun new thing completely empty.

Thats making the infinite invasion spawn sound not so infinite.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12078 on: February 08, 2010, 09:56:29 am »

What info is known about the military uniform designator?

How many different type of uniform sets can we design? Only one, one for each squad, some fixed number, endless amount?

Does it involve layering when applying? Say your uniform is steel chainmail, and pigtail shirt. Will it wear them in order entered in designator, in order clothes are worn (based on the layers, or are they gone?) or depending on what it already has (so a dwarf wearing a steel chainmail would only add pig tail shirt on top, or how does the uniform work?

How accerate is it when designing uniforms?
(will you tell your dwarves to wear Plate mail, steel plate mail, +steel platemail+, decorated +steel plate mail+ or even +steel plate mail+ with -menacing silver spikes+ and *image of dwarf in ruby*)

If more detail is allowed, can you set limits instead of stricktlydefined item (say, "Finely-crafted"  to "Exceptional" quality , "Iron" or better material,  High boot or Low boot)

if limits are allowed, can you define which is important?
For example, If you want Finely-crafted pigtail Cloak dyed red, but only have blue pigtail cloak, Finely-crafted Ropereed cloak and cow leather cloak that is dyed red, which one will be taken, or will any of them be chosen?

Id we can define uniform up to decorations, can we order the production of said uniforms somehow, so that if I want a squad of dwarfs with steel helmets with a picture of an axe in ruby on them, I will get them without having ending up with loads of helmets with ruby spikes, helmets encrusted with rubies, helmets encircled by rubies and helmets with other images in rubies?
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12079 on: February 08, 2010, 09:57:52 am »

What info is known about the military uniform designator?

How many different type of uniform sets can we design? Only one, one for each squad, some fixed number, endless amount?

Does it involve layering when applying? Say your uniform is steel chainmail, and pigtail shirt. Will it wear them in order entered in designator, in order clothes are worn (based on the layers, or are they gone?) or depending on what it already has (so a dwarf wearing a steel chainmail would only add pig tail shirt on top, or how does the uniform work?

(will you tell your dwarves to wear Plate mail, steel plate mail, +steel platemail+, decorated +steel plate mail+ or even +steel plate mail+ with -menacing silver spikes+ and *image of dwarf in ruby*)

If more detail is allowed, can you set limits instead of stricktlydefined item (say, "Finely-crafted"  to "Exceptional" quality , "Iron" or better material,  High boot or Low boot)

For example, If you want Finely-crafted pigtail Cloak dyed red, but only have blue pigtail cloak, Finely-crafted Ropereed cloak and cow leather cloak that is dyed red, which one will be taken, or will any of them be chosen?

Id we can define uniform up to decorations, can we order the production of said uniforms somehow, so that if I want a squad of dwarfs with steel helmets with a picture of an axe in ruby on them, I will get them without having ending up with loads of helmets with ruby spikes, helmets encrusted with rubies, helmets encircled by rubies and helmets with other images in rubies?

Greened for attention.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12080 on: February 08, 2010, 10:04:49 am »

Iirc dwarfs would go and "upgrade" their equipment if there were better ones to be found. For instance if there was a *iron axe* but the dwarf only used a -iron axe-.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12081 on: February 08, 2010, 10:10:05 am »

Nah, it just lets you do weapon items, and it assumes armor items you add are for armor.  I guess it's not impossible to tell people to whip other people with trousers instead of wearing them, but your dwarves should probably question your judgement at that point.

What if, say, you are fighting some kind of creature that is only sensitive to some specific material (like vampires and garlic, or wearwolves and silver, etc.), and the only item you have that happens to be made out of that material is a pair of pants?
Edit: greened.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12082 on: February 08, 2010, 10:10:44 am »

[UNDER_PRESSURE] is only on the guts though, so the distinction will only matter for mods at this point.  Any pop-out will currently cause the two '~' to follow you around, even if the modded part is small.

Ice, ice, b...  wait...

Keep it up, and everyone will be clamouring for a Charity Duet

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12083 on: February 08, 2010, 10:15:40 am »

What if, say, you are fighting some kind of creature that is only sensitive to some specific material (like vampires and garlic, or wearwolves and silver, etc.), and the only item you have that happens to be made out of that material is a pair of pants?

It's irrelevant because hitting people with pants wouldn't trigger a material-linked syndrome, just like the example we discussed a few days ago with werewolves and silver blades:

Will silver hurt them more than damage from attacks with other weapons?

Nope.  You could mod them to get poisoned by silver, but stabbing them (etc.) with a silver weapon wouldn't be enough to poison them.  You'd have to have silver dust on the blade or something:

Quote from: Untelligent
If a weapon is made out of a contact-poison material, will it poison struck opponents?

There are a whole bunch of contact-poison effects that just aren't used.  It should look at the ground vs bare ground contacts, wrestling, inventory items, etc., but I'm just not caught up with the ramifications there.  Right now it needs a contaminant.  There needs to be more of notion of time-of-exposure when the more ephemeral contacts become involved.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12084 on: February 08, 2010, 10:16:54 am »

Nah, it just lets you do weapon items, and it assumes armor items you add are for armor.  I guess it's not impossible to tell people to whip other people with trousers instead of wearing them, but your dwarves should probably question your judgement at that point.

Garlic isn't suppoused to kill vampires, just ward them off because they hate the smell of it.

Also, its werewolves, not wearwolves, lol. Not sure what a pair of silver pants would do to one if you smacked it with them.

Edit: ninja'ed by Footkerchief anyway.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12085 on: February 08, 2010, 10:18:45 am »

Uniforms for each squad, and for positions within each squad.  As many as you want, basically.

I'm guessing it's just like in the current version, where dwarves rearrange their clothes according to LAYER and ARMORLEVEL.

These were addressed in a previous post.  The short version: no, you can't do any of that yet.

Spoiler: long quote from Toady (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 10:27:16 am by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12086 on: February 08, 2010, 11:03:42 am »

Thanks for answering a lot of questions lately Toady. It is still surprising to see.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12087 on: February 08, 2010, 11:08:08 am »

Ice, ice, b...  wait...
A+ for Queen and cover songrip-off references!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12088 on: February 08, 2010, 11:25:16 am »

Well ya but I'm doing black genetics here. If you're half, a quarter, or even an eighth black that still counts as black.
Well octaroon probably counts as white these days but I bet in the 1400s this stuff would well enough stand.

This is known as the One-Drop Rule and this is seriously not the place to discuss it.  I guess everyone's eager to get a head start on the dwarven eugenics flamewars.
With everyone joking along with it, saying that they're flat out disgusted, or mixing the two I figured we weren't really headed to flame wars. If anyone started taking it seriously I've actually got this long rant about how to end genocide and improve the human condition and so on but by that point it would have been another thread derail and we'd need to make a separate thread for it.

Garlic isn't suppoused to kill vampires, just ward them off because they hate the smell of it.

Also, its werewolves, not wearwolves, lol. Not sure what a pair of silver pants would do to one if you smacked it with them.

Edit: ninja'ed by Footkerchief anyway.
The whole truncation of lycanthrope thing that became popular at some point gave me the idea for lichens, or in more obvious terms were-moss.

Seeing it happen the once in some game would make an appropriate joke but I want to do a double surprise with it actually being a dangerous were-creature. Not really sure how to make moss into a tank-like killing machine without just turning into into magical material that somehow has heavy armor type properties and other such nonsense though.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12089 on: February 08, 2010, 11:30:51 am »

Seeing it happen the once in some game would make an appropriate joke but I want to do a double surprise with it actually being a dangerous were-creature. Not really sure how to make moss into a tank-like killing machine without just turning into into magical material that somehow has heavy armor type properties and other such nonsense though.

Make it fragile and weak but with a poisonous breath weapon, so it's lethal if you're close but vulnerable to ranged attacks.
Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 1065