Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575610 times)

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11415 on: January 28, 2010, 03:33:34 am »

I just had an idea.

Do you think oil deposits might eventually become a site feature, and dwarves could use the oil as fuel, or refine it into different products? Oil's been used for fuel and distilled for kerosene in the middle east since the 9th century, and I think ancient China might have even used natural gas.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11416 on: January 28, 2010, 03:36:59 am »

Blasphemy!

That's what magma is for!
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11417 on: January 28, 2010, 03:40:47 am »

Blasphemy!

If Toady ever decides to make it so that dwarves have to light their own fortresses, oil would be useful. Magma can't stay nice and hot forever.

Besides, I can think of many doomsday contraptions that uses both oil and magma.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11418 on: January 28, 2010, 04:13:23 am »

I just had an idea.

Do you think oil deposits might eventually become a site feature, and dwarves could use the oil as fuel, or refine it into different products? Oil's been used for fuel and distilled for kerosene in the middle east since the 9th century, and I think ancient China might have even used natural gas.

There are two current Suggestions threads about the occurrence and use of oil:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=48528.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=48539.0

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11419 on: January 28, 2010, 05:43:44 am »

If injuries are rare at my fort, is it possible for my expert surgeon's skill to decay to the point that my next few injured dwarves are screwed?

Maybe allowing doctors to practise their skills on unrotten, unbutcherable corpses would be a good idea. That would make sense, and those goblins would prove very usefull after their deaths.

Or, cage trap and "practise on prisoner" if live subjects are required.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11420 on: January 28, 2010, 05:54:39 am »

Blasphemy!

If Toady ever decides to make it so that dwarves have to light their own fortresses, oil would be useful. Magma can't stay nice and hot forever.

Besides, I can think of many doomsday contraptions that uses both oil and magma.

I'm calling you out on this.

Name 7 of them.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11421 on: January 28, 2010, 06:14:37 am »

Blasphemy!

Name 7 of them.

Or better - 7 contraptions in which the oil component cannot be replaced with more magma.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11422 on: January 28, 2010, 07:29:48 am »

It was also available for centuries before plate was, so a great many more people had the training to make it.

actually, no it wasn't.  think about it, it is a fairly common misconception.  making a sheet of metal more difficult than making interlocking rings?  greeks used bronze to make a cuirass which is too soft to make into decent chain armor.  carbon fiber vests were used before that and dubbed linothorax, which is quite different than medieval padded cloth.

First, while Bronze was used in brestplates and far earlier than the medieval period, iron and steel, which replaced bronze due to availability,  was a good deal harder to work, as making the large sheet required needs fairly consistent temperatures across the entire surface, which was much tricker due to the higher temps that iron is worked at. Further, once the rings are made, much less skill is needed to assemble them, meaning that much of the labor can be done by apprentices, rather than the expert armorsmith. (I've even come across sources suggesting that whole villages participated in the weaving of mail, but I don't know how reliable those are.) Also, a flaw in plate armor ruins the entire piece, while a few bad links in a coat of mail can easily be replaced.

Taking it even further, mail is lighter and more flexible than plate, meaning that the arms and legs, which in classical times were largely unprotected, going by museum pieces, could be covered at a small penalty in flexibility.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11423 on: January 28, 2010, 08:14:24 am »

Blasphemy!

Name 7 of them.

Flood map with oil and then flood magma on top
Soak fortress with oil and then release fire imps from magma pipe
Orbital oil cannon combined with orbital magma cannon
Flooding map with water, then oil, THEN magma

Alright, fine, those are the only doomsday mechanisms I can really think of that involve both oil and magma, but I'm sure many are more creative than me. Besides, I'm sure there are all sorts of other cool stuff you could do with oil! Who wouldn't want to cover their lake and ponds with it and then use magma to create flaming lakes of doom?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11424 on: January 28, 2010, 08:33:01 am »

Flood a room with oil (1/7 high) and ignite it. Goblins catch on fire and die but after that - or better as soon as the fire went out - you can go in and take all the neat stuff that isnt burned + you get corpses. In Magma you have the problem of draining.

Also oil behaves like normal fluids unlike magma and powders. This means you can create a oil fountain or with multiple fontains a curtain wich could be lit.

Not to forgetthat oil makes things slipery which with spiked pits could be usefull.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11425 on: January 28, 2010, 08:35:20 am »

Pressurized oil cannon would probably be more effective than a magma cannon, assuming oil has different physics.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11426 on: January 28, 2010, 08:39:47 am »

Pfft, why an oil fountain?  The booze fountain is the way to go.  Just as flammable, + dwarves drinking from it while it's on fire.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11427 on: January 28, 2010, 09:01:58 am »

I wonder if we can with the mat-rewrite calculate the pressure a liquid brings down to things like Floodgates. Could get interresting as soon as you use a glassfloodgate instead of +Steel+ becaus eyou have forgoten that oil generates more preasure then water. It could also get funny if a elefant walks over a Glassfloor or even better a hammerer hits said floor accidently.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

shackleton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11428 on: January 28, 2010, 09:05:02 am »

Oddly enough, I think that the exact technique they used to make chainmail links might have been lost. It's very hard to make rings like that with simple blacksmith tools - you have to rivet each one individually to fit it into the mesh.

Serefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11429 on: January 28, 2010, 09:09:04 am »

Also, Dwarven Flamethrowers.

Right back at ya, dragons!

Also also, oil + new players = more hilarious forum threads.
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 1065