Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3573711 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11385 on: January 27, 2010, 06:06:07 pm »

Keep in mind that you didn't have just one guy outfitted in chainmaille, but a whole bunch of them. Not your whole army (why bother equipping the peasants?), but your trained infantry and archers who would directly benefit from having a means to stop sharp edges.

Making chainmaille ring by ring is exceedingly time consuming, and very inefficient to make. While the mass produced solid rows (which were formed by casting) were not as high-quality, who cared?
While time-consuming, there's very, very little BUT manual labor to it once you have wire.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11386 on: January 27, 2010, 06:46:45 pm »

Reese: I believe by solid they mean unbroken, which would leave butted rings out certainly though only possibly excluding riveted rings.

I know, I was pointing out how solid rings are easily incorporated in expansion of Manae's response(which I did not quote, perhaps I should have?)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11387 on: January 27, 2010, 07:33:53 pm »

Solid rings are like washers, only in chainmaille proportions.
I don't know how to make a washer either. You start chain mail links by taking whatever metal and making lengths of wire right?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

dnabios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11388 on: January 27, 2010, 07:38:33 pm »

40d17 is basically working fine, now. Toady has a bit of cleanup to do in adventure mode - which works, by the way, it just occasionally drops keys if you're too fast - and I'm trying to figure out why world-gen is slower than it could be, but it shouldn't be long.

Didn't see anything specifically saying thanks in this thread anyway, so I just wanted to quickly say Thank You Baughn!  I'm sure everyone appreciates the hard work you've put into the improvements!  The 40.d## series benefited greatly from your help!

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11389 on: January 27, 2010, 07:46:08 pm »

Solid rings are like washers, only in chainmaille proportions.
I don't know how to make a washer either. You start chain mail links by taking whatever metal and making lengths of wire right?

OH! I see what you're asking now. Normally rings are made by taking wire and wrapping it around a wire called a mandrel so it looks like a spring. The coil is then cut to produce rings which have an opening in them which is used to weave them. The solid rigs are made differently. They're made from discs that have holes punched in the center. So they kind of look like doughnuts.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11390 on: January 27, 2010, 07:47:15 pm »

What are the differences between D.16 and D .17?
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11391 on: January 27, 2010, 07:52:55 pm »

What are the differences between D.16 and D .17?

Off the top of my head, a rewritten input system (the 40d16 input system has numerous problems including a game-breaking bug in Adv. Mode) and a "2D" graphics mode for people with with driver/OpenGL issues.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11392 on: January 27, 2010, 08:07:16 pm »

Okay, just a wierd thought out of nowhere, would changing the speed of your dwarves also change the metabolism rate? Like if you set your dwarves to a slower speed, their metabolisms would be similar to reptiles, if you set them to a high speed, like speed 0, would their metabolisms go into warp factor 10 and be like a hummingbirds, which is on the extreme end for warm blooded metabolisms.

There was talk earlier about metabolisms, etc. Right now, I know increasing the speed just decreases the amount of frames it takes for them to do something and doesn't actually change the rate that they sleep, eat, etc. In fact, they'll eat, sleep, and drink at normal speed. Really, I'm just wondering if doing something like that would actually affect metabolisms since we will have a bunch of metabolic stuff in the next release.

I had the thought as I've had my dwarves on speed 0 for a while as I'm moving a huge pile of stone inside my fort proper.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11393 on: January 27, 2010, 08:16:32 pm »

Not to mention that Toady has read "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" so he is aware of even some fictional Siege weapons.

there was plenty of fictional stuff in RTK, but i don't remember any siege weapons that were fictional.  probably is just can't remember it.
I think there was a mention of stuck-in weapons having more effect in the wound. If you twist a stuck-in battleaxe, I expect you'd do some damage, and loosen the axe.

if you look at how axes are attached the their handles it is unlikely to loosen it, break it maybe.

Even if you were wearing full plate, the helmet is the weak point, right?  You can't really spread the force out that much, so the brains splat or the neck snaps if hit right with a blunt object.

About the adamantine casings proposed,  can dwarves actually attain temperatures necessary to melt adamantine in their forges?  Making thin sheets to cover an existing lead hammer's head might be more easily done.

Along the same lines, will item modifiers like menacing with spikes ever affect the damage of a weapon?  It might be cool in the future if a warrior became fond of a copper sword and refused to fight with any other weapon, but you could send it back to the forge to add spikes to the pommel to upgrade the sword a little.  It would probably create a micromanaging nightmare though.

While I was on wikipedia looking at war hammer stuff I came across this page about surface or case hardening. Does anyone know more about this?

For those that don't want to look through the page:
What does case hardening do?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How was it done historically?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seems pretty dwarven, and I believe its the right tech era, 14th-15th century, or late medieval.  It would also work well in an item upgrade system, in this case upgrading iron items.

effectively one is creating microscopic carbon fibers in the material in question, it has been done much earlier, and with many more materials than just iron.  essentially as the material tries to move the carbon fibers must slide against one another, but since that involves breaking the bond between them and the iron, as well as friction against one another you end up with a velcro effect in which many really small forces are working together to create one really strong force, in this case rigidity of the iron.  what would be pretty cool is if this was considered magic (as it once was) and there were checks involving micro fibers in an object to create objects dynamically.

maybe something in the raws that states that something can be a microfiber, like creating an adamant solution then sealing a glass weapon in the solution then using it at a kiln would result in an adamant hardened glass weapon, which would be roughly the tensile strength of adamant added to the glass weapon, making it super hard.

it would make a great story, imagine a bunch of primitive kobolds being exterminated by dwarves. the dwarves wipe out kobold settlement after kobold settlement, then they come to a settlement built on the side of a casm.  confident the dwarves march forward, imagining the cowardly kobolds trying to jump the casm.  the kobolds gather their crude obsidian weapons and and stand calmly for battle, much to the surprise of the dwarves.  the dwarves chuckle as they surround the kobolds, safe in their steel armor.  as the dwarves close they don't even try to avoid the blows of the kobolds.  kobold limbs fly every where, the captain smiles as he is bathed in blood, but just as he reaches the kobold shaman he is struck by a spear which impossibly penetrates his armor.  as he falls he looks around him, and as he had cut a swath into the kobolds he failed to see his fellow dwarves getting hacked to pieces by seemingly fragile obsidian weapons.  in his last breath he utters a curse upon the kobold shaman and his magics.

ZOMG a chainmaille discussion! Being someone who actually makes it i think I'm qualified to join in. FUNK is right, Chainmaille is designed to protect against slashing.

"Goodness... the way people keep talking I am starting to seriously wonder what the point of Chainmail is."

In DF right now, yes you are right, but in real life chainmaille is flexible where plate is not. Which is why even when plate became very popular they would still wear chainmaille underneath to protect the joints.

As to the arrow vs. maille discussion:

It depends on a number of factors, like material quality, ring size(AR) and the closures.

Quality is....well quality, if you have it made out of like pigiron or some crap like that your maille wont stop anything.

Ring size plays an important roll as does the AR (Aspect Ratio which is the ratio between the inner diameter of each ring to the wire diameter.) High ARs result is maille that is very loose where the opposite is true for a Low AR.

There are 2 types of closures for historical maille. They are butted rings and riveted. Butted maille is maille where each ring is "closed" by butting the ends together. You would be very lucky to have butted maille stop an arrow as there is nothing to prevent the rings from being pushed apart as the arrow impacts. Riveted maille is where each ring is riveted shut, buy having the ends of each ring flattened, then punching a hole through them and riveting them. This can be supplemented in strength by replacing every other row of rings with solid rings. That is, ones without closures. Riveted maille is much much stronger than butted maille in every regard, but it also takes about twice as long to make. Now an arrow hitting a riveted ring with an arrow there is still a chance the rivet can break and split the ring apart. But an arrow hitting a solid ring would likely stop an arrow depending on how much energy it still has.

All that being said, maille was never arrow proof or anything like that.

Also, adamantine chainmaille would be INCREDIBLY difficult to make, because of its hardness. It would make the chance of a ring breaking when you bend it shut and if it doesn't break the ring will likely be warped which would compromise the strength of the maille.

Now, questions?

what about your assessment of split ring construction (not used today), and the rare crescent style chain (can't remember what it is called, but each ring was made from two half rings riveted together).

Now, questions?

Well, I think we might have addressed most points by now, but for the record, the original question was more about what the advantages of say a mail over a plate would be, if any. I think it would be mostly issues of flexibility (for movement, not protection), etc.
don't forget that a hole in chain is easier to repair than plate.  not to mention fitting/refitting.

It was also available for centuries before plate was, so a great many more people had the training to make it.

actually, no it wasn't.  think about it, it is a fairly common misconception.  making a sheet of metal more difficult than making interlocking rings?  greeks used bronze to make a cuirass which is too soft to make into decent chain armor.  carbon fiber vests were used before that and dubbed linothorax, which is quite different than medieval padded cloth.

Keep in mind that you didn't have just one guy outfitted in chainmaille, but a whole bunch of them. Not your whole army (why bother equipping the peasants?), but your trained infantry and archers who would directly benefit from having a means to stop sharp edges.

Making chainmaille ring by ring is exceedingly time consuming, and very inefficient to make. While the mass produced solid rows (which were formed by casting) were not as high-quality, who cared? Not the nobility, who wanted their men to have enough protection to win.

Only the nobility ever had full, link-by-link maille; today's hobbyists are demonstrating how far machining has come in terms of drawing and shaping wire.

I would think that chainmaille jewelry is entirely historical. My mother, for example, has an ornamental purse that is made of god knows how many tiny interlocking rings of metal. It feels like silk. The purse is smaller than most of our hands, as well. I can't imagine that kind of thing ever being done on a massive scale before workforce mechanization, and this thing looks quite old. It's probably not medieval, but it is an argument in favor of maille jewelry.

there are many times in which standard soldiers were armored with link by link chain, after all it is much easier to fit chain to some one compared to plate, and yet roman legionaries at one point had plate armor as a standard uniform.

Hardrada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11394 on: January 27, 2010, 08:27:00 pm »

The most common way to make solid rings for mail armour was to punch them out of sheet metal, although some were welded shut, and just using riveted rings was another option.  If you have any questions about the construction or use of mail, I strongly recommend reading this article

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11395 on: January 27, 2010, 08:37:15 pm »

"what about your assessment of split ring construction (not used today), and the rare crescent style chain (can't remember what it is called, but each ring was made from two half rings riveted together)."

I don't know.

"don't forget that a hole in chain is easier to repair than plate.  not to mention fitting/refitting."

Yeah, good point.

"actually, no it wasn't.  think about it, it is a fairly common misconception.  making a sheet of metal more difficult than making interlocking rings?  Greeks used bronze to make a cuirass which is too soft to make into decent chain armor.  carbon fiber vests were used before that and dubbed linothorax, which is quite different than medieval padded cloth."

Actually It was very difficult to create sheet metal that was strong enough to make plate. That's why Rome made Lorica armor, they could only produce steel in thin sheets. Up until a point we couldn't create a fire hot enough to be able to make sheet metal, like iron or steel.

"there are many times in which standard soldiers were armored with link by link chain, after all it is much easier to fit chain to some one compared to plate, and yet roman legionaries at one point had plate armor as a standard uniform."

It wasn't plate, it was lorica, which is like 3 inch or so strips that are overlapped. Anyways, they also wore maille under it as well.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11396 on: January 27, 2010, 08:47:45 pm »

actually, no it wasn't.  think about it, it is a fairly common misconception.  making a sheet of metal more difficult than making interlocking rings?  greeks used bronze to make a cuirass which is too soft to make into decent chain armor.  carbon fiber vests were used before that and dubbed linothorax, which is quite different than medieval padded cloth.

Just to nitpick, bronze is typically harder than iron. Iron is just way easier to find than tin. Using plates is older though, I think. It's way easier to make a plate than chainmail, and (I think, anyway) more intuitive.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11397 on: January 27, 2010, 08:53:19 pm »

Just to nitpick, bronze is typically harder than iron. Iron is just way easier to find than tin. Using plates is older though, I think. It's way easier to make a plate than chainmail, and (I think, anyway) more intuitive.

It's easier when you have the equipment.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11398 on: January 27, 2010, 09:09:45 pm »

"what about your assessment of split ring construction (not used today), and the rare crescent style chain (can't remember what it is called, but each ring was made from two half rings riveted together)."

I don't know.

"don't forget that a hole in chain is easier to repair than plate.  not to mention fitting/refitting."

Yeah, good point.

"actually, no it wasn't.  think about it, it is a fairly common misconception.  making a sheet of metal more difficult than making interlocking rings?  Greeks used bronze to make a cuirass which is too soft to make into decent chain armor.  carbon fiber vests were used before that and dubbed linothorax, which is quite different than medieval padded cloth."

Actually It was very difficult to create sheet metal that was strong enough to make plate. That's why Rome made Lorica armor, they could only produce steel in thin sheets. Up until a point we couldn't create a fire hot enough to be able to make sheet metal, like iron or steel.

"there are many times in which standard soldiers were armored with link by link chain, after all it is much easier to fit chain to some one compared to plate, and yet roman legionaries at one point had plate armor as a standard uniform."

It wasn't plate, it was lorica, which is like 3 inch or so strips that are overlapped. Anyways, they also wore maille under it as well.

lorica means body armor, so when you say 3 inch strips i am guessing you mean the lorica segmentata, or segmented body armor.  and how is it fundamentally different than the segmented body armor that medieval knights used (not to be confused with the roman knights as they didn't really wear armor).

as for plates being easy to make compared to sheets, is there some terminology which makes them different?

steel is also a prehistoric discovery, the degree which it was used in prehistoric times is debatable due to the lack of evidence, although bronze does hold up quite a bit better to weathering.  not sure where the nitpicking comes into play though unless you meant to say steel instead of iron, which i say that steel is harder than bronze.  though you are right in that pure iron is softer than bronze, harder to purify though than make into steel.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 09:24:16 pm by jamoecw »

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11399 on: January 27, 2010, 09:18:13 pm »

When i hear plate i think of a breastplate size. not the strips that lorica segmentata uses.
Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 1065