Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 757 758 [759] 760 761 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3573716 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11370 on: January 27, 2010, 04:13:47 pm »

The function that calculates straight-line distance for job items ignores z-levels.  Here are a couple reports that include simple ways to reproduce the problem: one, two, three.  It should be a quintessential one-minute fix, but I know how that goes.

I've never been able to reproduce this.  I just dug a tunnel out below a depot and the stone all reported at the correct distances including the z levels, and the code in 40d is the same.  It didn't say zero for the stone directly below the depot.  The workshop job code all uses 3D staight line distances, which are bad compared to the path distance, but it doesn't return zero for Z coordinates.

Usually people complain about dwarves literally traveling to the tile below the workshop rather than the stone pile 2 tiles away, surrounding it.
So add +10dist merely for being on a different Z level from the dwarf. Takes care of a majority even if it's not even close to accurate for extra Z levels.

If they start moving 3+ levels though there is no way in hell you can accurately measure that without the pathing algorithm, so there really isn't anything that can be done for those without a more complicated method.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11371 on: January 27, 2010, 04:21:42 pm »

So add +10dist merely for being on a different Z level from the dwarf. Takes care of a majority even if it's not even close to accurate for extra Z levels.

This would be a really poor kludge. Some of us like to put workshops directly above/below stockpiles, for instance, and there's no reason it shouldn't work fine (except for when/if it becomes more difficult for dwarves to haul things up/down stairs).

The problem is that there's often a discrepancy between linear distance and distance of the shortest path to the item. This problem just happens to be more common when z-levels are involved.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11372 on: January 27, 2010, 04:25:45 pm »

ZOMG a chainmaille discussion! Being someone who actually makes it i think I'm qualified to join in. FUNK is right, Chainmaille is designed to protect against slashing.Now, questions?
I don't follow what solid rings are. Butted are closed, riveted are, well, flat and punched through, and solid is... like just one long wavy wire? An unbroken spiral?

No, just literally a row made of rings with no joints whatsoever. The rows above and below would weave through via their openings, and then they would be riveted. In essence you'd alternate rows of riveted and solid rings the entire length of the maille.
"welded" (or, for copper, you could solder) Perhaps "fused"- though one must do it individually.

heck, cast a pipe and saw it carefully.

Quite a few ways to make solid rings now. Then, not sure.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11373 on: January 27, 2010, 04:27:57 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8GxPOb1XKU

Skip to 5:40, that is what this conversation reminds me of.

. . .

In fact, I feel the whole movie perfectly describes any in depth DF discussion.

the bowling ball will hit the ground first due to air resistance (weight is a minor factor as well), and both will bounce, due to the compressibility of the ground, as it contains air.  the baby will bounce more than the cannon ball because the ground will break less on impact resulting in better retention of kinetic energy.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11374 on: January 27, 2010, 04:31:36 pm »

Also while I'm on the topic of chainmaille.

Would it be to much of a request to have Chainmaille jewelry implemented at some point?

http://www.theringlord.org/forum/Index.php?app=gallery&module=cats&do=sc&cat=5?s=b798147b3a311788df65417441861f1f  Here is a gallery showing off chainmaille jewelry.

Any precedent for this in an appropriate period, say 1400 or earlier?

hmmm with the material rewrite i guess artifact weapons (and possible armor?) are nerved down or do they get some magical, weight, shearpoint, yield modifiers? Also what about the elven wood-weapons? Do the elves now manipulate the materials in some faschion?

Do we know how artifact weapons and armor, specifically artifact weapons and armor made with strange materials, will interact with the materials system? Will an artifact bone spear be able to pierce normal steel plate, or will it be largely ineffectual? Will artifact weapons and armor acquire item damage? Would an artifact gold hammer get bent or broken when I bashed it on someone's adamantium helmet?

For combat purposes, artifacts are just unusually high quality:

Quote from: Toady One
How do the strength values for metals interact with their effectiveness as weapons and armor?

Currently shear yield/fracture is used to determine edge effectiveness and the effectiveness of a material against a cut.  Impact yield/fracture is used to determine resistance against impacts.  Solid density will increase weight and therefore the impact of attacks.

Hmmm, how does all of this translate as far as weapon and armor quality goes? Will they still have the same effects as before?

I think I did armor quality somewhere in this post.  For weapons, it currently increases the chance to score a hit at all as usual, and it'll also make edged weapons start sharper.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11375 on: January 27, 2010, 04:57:31 pm »

Wait, you mean a noble that actually does something? Don't be silly, Toady would never allow such things.
thay will do  lots of thing,moan,whine,oder meals,demand that things are inportrd i.e. lead junk,change the fort guards kit(greed socks are in this year)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11376 on: January 27, 2010, 05:03:59 pm »

Also while I'm on the topic of chainmaille.

Would it be to much of a request to have Chainmaille jewelry implemented at some point?

http://www.theringlord.org/forum/Index.php?app=gallery&module=cats&do=sc&cat=5?s=b798147b3a311788df65417441861f1f  Here is a gallery showing off chainmaille jewelry.

Any precedent for this in an appropriate period, say 1400 or earlier?

Some quick Google searching didn't reveal anything. But a few of the main weaves that are used for jewelry today existed in the past. a quick consult with my Mailler friends resulted in a group "i don't know" I'll post a thread on some forums and see if someone there knows anymore. But i don't think it would be out of the realm of posibility. I think it would fit with dwarves. They have a much stronger attraction to metals and are betterat refinigh and working with metal that humans. But i'll get back to you if i find anything more out.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11377 on: January 27, 2010, 05:13:20 pm »

I don't follow what solid rings are. Butted are closed, riveted are, well, flat and punched through, and solid is... like just one long wavy wire? An unbroken spiral?

To expand on what Manae said, you don't have to open and close every ring when weaving maile, starting a sheet of regular maile, you would open one ring and put four in it, then open a sixth ring, thread it through two unopened, and add two closed rings to that; you only end up opening about half the rings (for standard 4 in 1 maile... different maile weaves can require more or fewer rings to be opened)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11378 on: January 27, 2010, 05:28:17 pm »

Reese: I believe by solid they mean unbroken, which would leave butted rings out certainly though only possibly excluding riveted rings.

Genoraven: It's pretty much given that E and J weaves were used historically for armor.  that maille jewelry is historic...dunno.

(greed socks are in this year)
I will quote this excellent typo.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 05:30:42 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11379 on: January 27, 2010, 05:44:24 pm »

This would be a really poor kludge. Some of us like to put workshops directly above/below stockpiles, for instance, and there's no reason it shouldn't work fine (except for when/if it becomes more difficult for dwarves to haul things up/down stairs).

The problem is that there's often a discrepancy between linear distance and distance of the shortest path to the item. This problem just happens to be more common when z-levels are involved.
Well, it's exactly +10 when Z1 and Z2 are not equal.
not 10Z or anything.
So basically this only makes a difference if you happen to have stone on the same level as the dwarf, otherwise the +10 cancels out. So if your stockpiles are immediately underneath, you just need 10 tiles on the main level clear around the stockpile clear and you won't ever have a stone leakage problem. Alternatively, leave the stockpile empty and use the workshop until a 10-tile radius around the stockpile (on the same level as the workshop) is clear.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11380 on: January 27, 2010, 05:48:02 pm »

Yeah, i know it was used for armor. Just trying to find out if it was used as jewelery.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11381 on: January 27, 2010, 05:49:25 pm »

Keep in mind that you didn't have just one guy outfitted in chainmaille, but a whole bunch of them. Not your whole army (why bother equipping the peasants?), but your trained infantry and archers who would directly benefit from having a means to stop sharp edges.

Making chainmaille ring by ring is exceedingly time consuming, and very inefficient to make. While the mass produced solid rows (which were formed by casting) were not as high-quality, who cared? Not the nobility, who wanted their men to have enough protection to win.

Only the nobility ever had full, link-by-link maille; today's hobbyists are demonstrating how far machining has come in terms of drawing and shaping wire.

I would think that chainmaille jewelry is entirely historical. My mother, for example, has an ornamental purse that is made of god knows how many tiny interlocking rings of metal. It feels like silk. The purse is smaller than most of our hands, as well. I can't imagine that kind of thing ever being done on a massive scale before workforce mechanization, and this thing looks quite old. It's probably not medieval, but it is an argument in favor of maille jewelry.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11382 on: January 27, 2010, 05:55:50 pm »

Actually, the foundation of the feudal system in Europe was based around who could afford a byrnie (the term used at the time to denote a chainmail shirt.) The size of the fief granted by Charles the Great was directly based on the number of byrnies a lord could provide.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11383 on: January 27, 2010, 06:00:02 pm »

ZOMG a chainmaille discussion! Being someone who actually makes it i think I'm qualified to join in. FUNK is right, Chainmaille is designed to protect against slashing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now, questions?

No, just literally a row made of rings with no joints whatsoever. The rows above and below would weave through via their openings, and then they would be riveted. In essence you'd alternate rows of riveted and solid rings the entire length of the maille.
So they're like diecast?

The function that calculates straight-line distance for job items ignores z-levels.  Here are a couple reports that include simple ways to reproduce the problem: one, two, three.  It should be a quintessential one-minute fix, but I know how that goes.

I've never been able to reproduce this.  I just dug a tunnel out below a depot and the stone all reported at the correct distances including the z levels, and the code in 40d is the same.  It didn't say zero for the stone directly below the depot.  The workshop job code all uses 3D staight line distances, which are bad compared to the path distance, but it doesn't return zero for Z coordinates.

Usually people complain about dwarves literally traveling to the tile below the workshop rather than the stone pile 2 tiles away, surrounding it.

If they start moving 3+ levels though there is no way in hell you can accurately measure that without the pathing algorithm, so there really isn't anything that can be done for those without a more complicated method.
But some people have workshop layouts that specifically give workshops stockpiles right below them.

I guess it's only an issue with stones though.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11384 on: January 27, 2010, 06:02:26 pm »

Solid rings are like washers, only in chainmaille proportions.
Pages: 1 ... 757 758 [759] 760 761 ... 1065