Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631582 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1125 on: March 18, 2009, 02:12:32 am »

Well, the D&D version of the flesh golem--which is where all of this is originating, unless I'm badly mistaken--doesn't list as undead. That doesn't mean that DF has to take it's cue from D&D though.

Infact, I'd rather that it never, EVER does.

Point: We already have "phantom limb syndrome" existing in the game. 

Point: We're getting souls.

To me, that evokes (with a couple of admitted leaps) the idea that sure, a "flesh golem" in DF might *start out* as an automaton, but there could atleast exist the possibility that those parts will start drawing their respective souls back to them, eventually.

It may be a bit harder to predict the consequences of that, for players trying to exploit the poor flesh golem in question (and it might lead to some truly awesomely nasty monsters), but I have to assert that it lends itself to a whole lot more interest going on in the game than just the presence of a 2-dimensional meat-sack.

And, in the long run, such a "servant"-if benign- might even prove to be a deal more useful than a senseless, thoughtless, industrial robot.
For they would be your masters.

Moneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: March 18, 2009, 02:20:47 am »

I thought he was a combination of many dead people?

He was, but then again... His brain was most likely a combination of one person.

So just think of him as having an obscene number of Donation parts.

Frankenstein was the name of the scientist who reanimated a dead person. The dead person didn't have a name. I'm fairly certain there were no combinations either.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 18, 2009, 02:27:28 am »

Frankenstein had a constructed body, but was essentially resurrected (though primitively), so he is neither a construct nor undead.

Golems are simply animated matter. You can take a skeleton and animate it as a bone golem. It will probably look the same as a skeleton, but will not be affected by holy symbols. It will, however, be subject to anti-construct measures such as anti-magic fields. If you then disband the golem (not destroy it), its remains would allow you to either make a proper undead skeleton or resurrect the original owner of the skeleton. If you destroy an undead skeleton, you'll likely be unable to resurrect the remains (though a True Resurrection might work), and you won't raise them again, but you can still use the pile of bones for a bone golem.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: March 18, 2009, 02:44:23 am »

Golems are simply animated matter. You can take a skeleton and animate it as a bone golem. It will probably look the same as a skeleton, but will not be affected by holy symbols. It will, however, be subject to anti-construct measures such as anti-magic fields. If you then disband the golem (not destroy it), its remains would allow you to either make a proper undead skeleton or resurrect the original owner of the skeleton. If you destroy an undead skeleton, you'll likely be unable to resurrect the remains (though a True Resurrection might work), and you won't raise them again, but you can still use the pile of bones for a bone golem.

No offense, but that's more D&D crap.

I realize that D&D is hard to avoid, but there's just not a large percentage of original thought going on with them, in relation to the sheer amount of material they publish.

Even 4th edition seems to be taking it's "monster" cue from White Wolf's 'Exalted'.

The only real "golem" was the Golem of Prague, which was an animated clay sculpture, brought to "life" by the Hebrew God, through the means of Jewish mysticism. And eventually *that* golem gained independence/free will/became a problem.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 18, 2009, 03:34:34 am »

Hey now, Golems were in Jewish folklore before that specific one. I... think.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: March 18, 2009, 04:09:22 am »

You're right about that.

The golem of Prague is far and away the best known (and the only one I could remember), but I'd forgotten that there were earlier golems (I found reference to 2 others), and had to look it up.

Infact, the biblical Adam was considered a "golem", in that he was fashioned from clay. But he wasn't a traditional golem, because-having been created by God-he had a voice.

Traditionally, golems made by magicians lack a voice/the power of speech.

Still, a far cry away from D&D.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: March 18, 2009, 04:14:36 am »

Quote from: Toady One, Devlog
03/16/2009

In any case, next up are the specific goings-on at the hospital. Unfortunately for the critters, this means repeated applications of (1) create a hospital zone and staff settings (2) debug-chop a dwarf (3) see how it goes.

My kingdom for some videos. he he he.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 18, 2009, 04:21:23 am »

If I say "Undead is a curse upon living that denies them proper death", and "A Golem is some non-living object animated by magic", it will make no references to D&D, at the same time being true with most interpretations of the subject, including D&D.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 18, 2009, 05:29:42 am »

The golem of Prague...

*looks up from his meal

"Did someone say my name...oh...nevermind!

Golems at best are true resurrection and at worst constructions like robots. That's pretty standard across the board from all the stories and RPG's I've played. Notably nWoD's Promethean comes to mind

As for the other things? It depends.

What do you consider a spirit? Is it an alien embodiement of thought and energy (again, nWoD sums this thought line up nicely, see also Native American spirits) or are they the disembodied thoughts of the dead crossing over (a more "traditional" European belief. Eastern cultures also believed that ancestor spirits watched over them, but they also had the "nature" spirits I believe).

What do you consider a lich? From all that I can tell, the concept of a lich has always been a mage triumphing over death with their arcane magicks. A "not-dead" mage that should be dead... that sounds like you can use the "undead" adjective.

I like undead being just a template that is applied to existing critters. It makes things more fun. I hope we get to see undead intelligent creatures though. Wouldn't it be horrible if on haunted/evil maps your dead had a chance to come to life? Maybe if they weren't properly buried they might spawn a dwarven skeleton as the body decays, maybe with [trapavoid] to represent the knowledge they still retained from being a worker in the fortress.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 18, 2009, 07:10:15 am »

Praguepride the reason why Golems tend to be mindless robots is because well... Dungeons and dragons and videogames. (It also helps that they steriotyped non-golems into golemness... For example the Durihan)

Original Golems were hardly mindless (though they were servants so to speak) and could think for themselves.

Also a Ghost is the Disembodied Soul as far as Dwarf fortress would be concerned. It just makes more sense

the concept of a lich has always been a mage triumphing over death with their arcane magicks

There is SOMETHING wrong about this sentence... Ohh I think I know... the "Arcane magicks" Since
A) Arcane refers to "Secret knowledge"
and
B) Magick is Pen and Paper RPG spelling. (or you spelled it incorrectly)

I don't really have a point here... other then you need to be careful when dealing with knowledge affected by videogames in determining if it is "status quo"

I like undead being just a template that is applied to existing critters

Not quite... Zombie and Skeleton are "Curses" that are hardcoded.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 18, 2009, 07:17:40 am »

Guys, this "no I am right" discussion even about a fantastical concept such as undead is really silly. It's okay to state your interpretation of it and speculate about what will be in DF, but obviously undead means different things to different people in different contexts, be it D&D or myths or Tolkien or whatever. Obviously, there is no "correct" definition of undead (or ghost or golem or whatever). And even if there was, DF migh just come up with it's own, anyway - or, more likely, ultimately leave it to the raws what undead entails, because I seem to remember that Toady didn't have a strong opinion about either possible interpretations (maybe it's even going to change from world to world).

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 18, 2009, 07:37:39 am »

I think the whole speculation as to "why" the undead are the undead is kinda pointless.

Undead are creatures that have died but are still moving around. Why does there need to be some absolute, immutable origin for them?
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 18, 2009, 08:00:28 am »

I think the whole speculation as to "why" the undead are the undead is kinda pointless.

Undead are creatures that have died but are still moving around. Why does there need to be some absolute, immutable origin for them?

There doesn't were just having fun with the debate.

Though I guess if we want to move on from this we need a new subject.

One thing I wonder is how flexable will Curses be? Zombies and Skeletons are interesting in the sense that they have damaged and missing bodyparts. It DOES hint that in theory you could have curses that act a bit more harmfully (A Disease that disolves your brain)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 18, 2009, 08:11:34 am »

The question is what will be the difference between a curse and a desease? Are Lykantrophy and Vampirism deseases or curses or both at the same time?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 18, 2009, 08:38:25 am »

Lycantropy and vampirism are viruses, but they're a curse in a metaphorical sense. Undead can also be caused by a virus, like in Resident Evil. You can argue about magic, but since any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic...  I think if Resident Evil didn't outright state from the start that the zombies are made by a virus, to the viewer it could just as well be a dark necromancer's doing.

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 1065