Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575261 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10830 on: January 21, 2010, 11:46:46 pm »

Yes, that.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10831 on: January 21, 2010, 11:56:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All of that focuses largely on an attempt to model rope ladders realistically.  For the time being, I'd be satisfied with simply being able to construct up or up/down stairs from above, where a down or up/down stair already exists.  To make it slightly fancier, make a separate type of stairs from the current type, make them only buildable using rope (or chain, cloth?), and make them only buildable either on the same level or downward, in contrast to the current stairs being buildable on the same level or upward.  Operate deconstruction in a similar reversed fashion.

You'd get none of the fancier effects, but you'd be able to extend downward, the main feature being sought after currently.  And if you had to build it with rope, then it would make it at least a little harder; you wouldn't be able to simply pick up a nearby stone and make it.  So it wouldn't feel like a complete exploit.
That's kind of the trouble with constructions though. You've got to be standing on the tile you want to place them or be just under the floor-layer, meaning practically on the tile. Basically all of those kinds of things work like that so writing an exception to do a hardcoded behavior backwards might be so much trouble that he might as well do a more complete rope ladder.

And maybe Toady wouldn't want to settle for donkeys on the rope ladder.

How much power do you plan on giving modders over buildings?
Will we eventually be able to have buildings which require power to function, or which spawn creatures (particularly members of the player's civilization/race) as well as items?
Will we eventually be able to have buildings which allow teleportation, whether between two buildings or simply set to a waypoint? Will we be able to have migrations require and be spawned on a building?
Will any of this be possible with some kind of script?
Will it be possible to change the siege alert text (A vile force of darkness has arrived!) to something else?
Will we eventually be able to make vehicles, with customizable tiles and sizes and be able to set man/dwarfpower requirements on certain functions of those vehicles (such as a tank firing its gun, or a driller drilling) and attach skills to those positions, and have those skills affect performance?
Will this be possible with some kind of script?
When can we expect any of this, if ever?

With so many questions that are even phrased in a "I can tell it's not coming this release" manner you should probably go through a different channel.

The dev_now makes me wonder: what is the blocker on having adventure-mode dwarves be able to do everything a fortress-mode dwarf can do?  Is it just a matter of adding some UI for it (i.e. a matter of time), or some deeper question?
use (b)uilding, (c)rafts, (r)ock, (m)ug.
bcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrm
bcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrmbcrm
You are now a dabbling typist.
Your wrist is broken.

Maybe an alternative "realtime mode" for Adventure Mode?

This would be nice for all kinds of things, like just standing in a town and watching people walk around.
Doesn't holding down 5 work for that?

Though I suppose you might as well sneak around for skillups of that sort.

I'm not really discussing them-as in, this isn't a suggestion that wireframes be limplemented-just mentioning something that your post made me think of, as concerns the realities and limitations of the current game to portray it in an effective way.

So, no crazy graphics flamewar, please.
Did someone say graphics flamewar?

Everyone go get your shovels and molasses!

"Visualize" command

Though I'm not going to carry the banner for ascii only, the whole point of using it is symbolism.  You then use the best graphics card & processor known to man to visualize it...your brain & imagination.

I love the visualizers that people have worked on.  But I don't want my game limited by either their technical know-how or their own vision on what something looks like.  My forts look horrifyingly horrible in those things...but in my mind they are fantastic, epic, a paragon of dwarfdom.
Looks like there's no avoiding this topic. Oh well.

After taking a few new drawing classes I've come to realize that my mind actually doesn't visualize in very high quality. You can also see it by directing yourself while dreaming- details like writing just aren't there for me and the textures are so blurred even things like buttons on a remote are only ok if I don't look.
As such I've had a hard time not lucid dreaming since I started noticing it.

My brain's got enough memory to hold a pretty screenshot easily enough but it's easy to make a single frame look great in photoshop but rendering something like that takes a lot more power.

But I guess if you're willing to not ever look for details that aren't the first things you notice it doesn't ever come up. Actually it's probably really hard for most people to look for things they wouldn't usually look for first in dreams and mental images.

So, no crazy graphics flamewar, please.

It was a foregone conclusion.  You should know that there are certain topics that can never just be mentioned in passing.
That's everyone else. There's something special about me that makes it ok to do this stuff and if I forget about any problems this caused it's like they didn't happen so clearly there's no issue.

Turning "graphics" into a dirty word, on a Forum about computer gaming, achieves what, exactly?
You've totally misidentified the problem. This thread is about the upcoming release and only sort of the next few arcs.

The topic is development, and the "future of the Fortress". So discussing possible directions in which that future might develope is spot-on.
You're really going to pull that? I threw enough of a fit back at the how castes work thing but even the reason for that (which I was mistaken about) would have been somewhere within reason. This is blatant equivocation.

Until/unless the thread actually starts to derail, and I'm not noticing that it is, I think we're all still safely in the "mature conversation shared amongst adults" zone, where we can still share our thoughts and ideas in a free and democratic manner.
Oh you can already see it happening. We've all seen it enough that we don't need several pages to see a topic that people are going to have to add their two cents to (and that saps the will to keep from adding our own but it's just a drip in the pond at that point.)

There's a lot of things like that in this world.

It's my understanding that censorship-either self, or imposed-has been found an unreliable and imperfect solution to these problems. 

People can either choose to fight over graphics, or choose not to fight over them. I'm hoping for the sake of sparing hurt feelings and avoiding disrupting this thread, that we can all find it within our better selves not to go down that road.
Your waxing philosophical only infuriates me.
Shoku is throwing a tantum!

Really though there's a half decent chance of not derailing the thread if only because so many people recognize footkercheif's pointreminder.

I count atleast 5 people besides myself that wanted to discuss it, Outcast Orange. And every one of them did so peacefully, without recrimination.

Noone, infact, said it was a bad idea. Only that talking about it was taboo.

I wish I knew in what way I was being cruel, or in what way I was personally attacking Footkerchief. I'm not. He is reliable and knowledgeable. That doesn't mean I recognise his right to judicate arbitrary censorship.
First you don't see the thread derailing and now you see five people chiming in about it...

Apologies if this has been answered. Tricky to search this monster of a thread, and on that note I agree with whoever suggested how to change it up over an easier-to-search-and-navigate subforum or whatever following this release.

How will the walkway-entrances to the underground work next version? Will adventurers just see a 1x1 wide hole in the middle of nowhere, or will there be more to signify an access tunnel there? Will there be random holes shooting down light if a cavern's roof is near the surface? On that note, will caverns appear at various depths beneath the surface rather than just 'far below'?
We've got some world gen control over it with the default being like 5 layers of stone before most likely hitting a cavern, and then if I understand correctly about another five layers cavern, five layers, and deep cavern. Number of layers between and number of cavern layers can be configured.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10832 on: January 22, 2010, 12:02:46 am »

people are going to have to add their two cents
For they would be your masters.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10833 on: January 22, 2010, 12:09:01 am »

That's kind of the trouble with constructions though. You've got to be standing on the tile you want to place them or be just under the floor-layer, meaning practically on the tile. Basically all of those kinds of things work like that so writing an exception to do a hardcoded behavior backwards might be so much trouble that he might as well do a more complete rope ladder.

Actually, that's not true. Bridges and hatch covers are built without standing on the tile. Walls, fortifications, statues, pillars, all are built without standing on the tile.

Anything that blocks movement or permits movement is built next to the tile. Yeah, rope ladders are an exception, but there are already quite a few exceptions in the game, including building staircases over open space from an adjacent ledge.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10834 on: January 22, 2010, 12:10:54 am »

That's only permitted if it's an upstair, mind.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10835 on: January 22, 2010, 12:24:17 am »

Well, yeah, but the point is that you don't stand on the tile when you construct it, so it's less of an exception than Shoku is making it out to be.

I mean, let's be serious here. Rope ladders affect pathing, and introduce some new construction rules, but sooner or later those things will get added in. How much work has Toady already done in this release related to pathing? Burrows. The military stuff. I think there's some line-of-sight in fortress mode now. Sure rope ladders are a relatively minor feature for the amount of work its going to take, but developers tend to have these list of things they know they need to tackle sooner or later and when a good excuse comes along to tackle them, they sometimes jump at it. Once it's done, there's all kinds of related things that go easier. Who knows what he might have in mind.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10836 on: January 22, 2010, 12:27:47 am »

I'm not quite grasping (no pun intended) what these exceptions for rope ladders are, precisely. We can build stairs out of rocks already, so why not the same from rope, make them hardcoded passable/impassable for certain creature types, and then give them a down/up function?

It seems like it would require some coding, but I'm not really understanding what's going on here that isn't already somewhere in the game, in some form.

Ofcourse, ToadyOne is the only one who knows for sure, but has anything out of the relative ordinary been mentioned?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10837 on: January 22, 2010, 12:31:13 am »

I'm not quite grasping (no pun intended) what these exceptions for rope ladders are, precisely. We can build stairs out of rocks already, so why not the same from rope, make them hardcoded passable/impassable for certain creature types, and then give them a down/up function?

It seems like it would require some coding, but I'm not really understanding what's going on here that isn't already somewhere in the game, in some form.

Ofcourse, ToadyOne is the only one who knows for sure, but has anything out of the relative ordinary been mentioned?
Yes. Presently, all creatures use the same pathfinding code. Exceptions like this (which already exist in the "tightly closed, but not locked" doors) can cause the pathfinding code to try madly to find ways to the other side when (an animal) thinks it can pass, but cannot.

He doesn't want to have that, nor the unrealistic (rope ladders just duplicating stairs, being down-buildable). So, we must wait and see how he copes.
Tilesets

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10838 on: January 22, 2010, 12:33:25 am »

So by that logic, this may/will go hand in hand with improvements to the way the game handles doors, or maybe even an overall AI improvement?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10839 on: January 22, 2010, 12:36:58 am »

Perhaps, if he decides to tackle it that way. The list item is "consider" after all. I expect he won't do huge changes now, though.
Tilesets

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10840 on: January 22, 2010, 12:42:42 am »

On the subject of ladders, it is already possible to make one-way entrances/exits with the ramp bug, and they usually aren't a problem... so long as there's a way back out elsewhere.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10841 on: January 22, 2010, 12:45:04 am »

Generally if you're trying to exclude something from one entrance you try to exclude it from all of them.
Tilesets

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10842 on: January 22, 2010, 12:49:15 am »

Unless one entrance has a detour by way of the spike pit.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10843 on: January 22, 2010, 02:32:49 am »

I am ok with ropes being used by creatures without "grasp", at least for some time. Another solution would be to allow up-down stairways to be constructed under other stairs.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10844 on: January 22, 2010, 03:09:26 am »

In regards to underground plant growth, is it limited by layers or mud availability now?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 1065