Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575306 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10815 on: January 21, 2010, 10:34:30 pm »

share our thoughts and ideas in a free and democratic manner.

That was Various Nonsense.  This is a thread with a topic, not a general chat for posting whatever's on your mind, and people who post here have a responsibility not to derail it.  If we're talking about what a Real Mature Adult would do, they'd avoid bringing it up in the first place.

People can either choose to fight over graphics, or choose not to fight over them. I'm hoping for the sake of sparing hurt feelings and avoiding disrupting this thread, that we can all find it within our better selves not to go down that road.

What you're doing is raising an issue and then asking people not to respond to it.  This isn't fair to anyone -- you aren't entitled to have the last word.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:38:08 pm by Footkerchief »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10816 on: January 21, 2010, 10:42:56 pm »

Free in that we don't need to stop and discuss for 19 posts whether or not anyone can actually *mention* an intergral part of the game we happen to all be discussing.

Where is your flamewar, Footkerchief? All I'm seeing at this point is you disrupting the thread. Nobody else. And to put out a fire that hasn't even started.

Idle musings on what happened in another thread, at another time, involving a different group of people talking about different things, isn't enough for me to accept this level of doggedness. The point has been made.
For they would be your masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10817 on: January 21, 2010, 10:44:00 pm »

Well technically it would make Honey Badger have the first and last word. Which would mean he is arguing with HIMSELF! *Dun dun dun!*

Ohh another day another no Dwarf Fortress release.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10818 on: January 21, 2010, 10:45:13 pm »

If we don't stop "talking freely and democratically" about graphics, so help me, I am going to give Footkerchief a reason to say "I told you so". >:(!!!!!
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #10819 on: January 21, 2010, 10:52:52 pm »

Where is your flamewar, Footkerchief? All I'm seeing at this point is you disrupting the thread. Nobody else. And to put out a fire that hasn't even started.

You have no right to be so cruel.
Nobody wants to talk about it.
When half of the forum vets start chiming in that it's a bad idea,
 and then you personally attack the most reliable person on the whole site,
 ('sides Toady of course)
 then you are the one interrupting our peaceful forum life.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10820 on: January 21, 2010, 10:58:08 pm »

I count atleast 5 people besides myself that wanted to discuss it, Outcast Orange. And every one of them did so peacefully, without recrimination.

Noone, infact, said it was a bad idea. Only that talking about it was taboo.

I wish I knew in what way I was being cruel, or in what way I was personally attacking Footkerchief. I'm not. He is reliable and knowledgeable. That doesn't mean I recognise his right to judicate arbitrary censorship.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10821 on: January 21, 2010, 11:00:42 pm »

Ill try to fix Outcasts post

"You have no right to be so cruel
Do you think your being cool?

When the half the forum thinks its a bad idea
Do you think the theorum is to hock seers?

Your interupting Forum Life
I will no go cry now out of sight."

Ugh... failure.

----------

My stance is a bit skewed. Ill read the whole conversation I guess... 19 ago? hmmm

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10822 on: January 21, 2010, 11:01:31 pm »

I suspect Toady is spending more time than planned on the underground. He did say it could take as much time as he could give it, i.e. arbitrarily much.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10823 on: January 21, 2010, 11:03:31 pm »

I suspect Toady is spending more time than planned on the underground. He did say it could take as much time as he could give it, i.e. arbitrarily much.

Which is probably a good thing for us: The more time spent on it, the more goodies to uncover.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10824 on: January 21, 2010, 11:05:11 pm »

Apologies if this has been answered. Tricky to search this monster of a thread, and on that note I agree with whoever suggested how to change it up over an easier-to-search-and-navigate subforum or whatever following this release.

How will the walkway-entrances to the underground work next version? Will adventurers just see a 1x1 wide hole in the middle of nowhere, or will there be more to signify an access tunnel there? Will there be random holes shooting down light if a cavern's roof is near the surface? On that note, will caverns appear at various depths beneath the surface rather than just 'far below'?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10825 on: January 21, 2010, 11:10:32 pm »

He did replace the "sinkhole stairway" entrances, if I recall correctly...not seein' it in devlog.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10826 on: January 21, 2010, 11:16:48 pm »

He did replace the "sinkhole stairway" entrances, if I recall correctly...not seein' it in devlog.

Oh, for crying out loud. It's in today's note!

Next I'm doing tweaks to cave openings and handling some problems with magma pools and internal volcano generation involving water layers draining down below into the magma and so on.

You're trying too hard. LOL

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10827 on: January 21, 2010, 11:17:42 pm »

Maybe something akin to the canyonlike bottomless caverns were currently get, only ones you can walk, or maybe climb, down? With paths and caves leading off from main entrances?

That way, you could readily explore X,Y,Z levels. Which makes sense in the context of the game.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10828 on: January 21, 2010, 11:23:53 pm »

Oh, for crying out loud. It's in today's note!

Next I'm doing tweaks to cave openings and handling some problems with magma pools and internal volcano generation involving water layers draining down below into the magma and so on.
...I'd've sworn it's been mentioned before as "some work done" though. I guess this was it.
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10829 on: January 21, 2010, 11:45:27 pm »

...I'd've sworn it's been mentioned before as "some work done" though. I guess this was it.

You may have been thinking of this:

Quote from: Duke 2.0
So will versions of those massive caverns from a few months ago be the general replacement of our current caves or merely an addition?

The layers have forced a shrinking of caves, due to the way the features are currently set up, but there will still be caves connecting the outside to the inside.  The shrinking is probably welcome, since you can locate megabeasts more easily while still having the expansive layers to explore.  Right now, there aren't any dead-end caves that skip the top layer (unless you have no layers), but there should be.  I've made cave entrances a little better looking than the giant sinkhole things with stairs, but I'll still need actual cliffs before I can make neat entrances.  Right now I'm using fake cliff bulge things.
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 1065