Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 719 720 [721] 722 723 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578321 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10800 on: January 21, 2010, 06:26:44 pm »

It would be interesting to be able to walk around your fortress in a simple first person view. I can't think of any way 3D graphics could be implemented in fortress mode, even if toady wanted to, but it would be perfect for adventure mode. Maybe the (near)useless "Visualize" command could eventually switch perspective to that of one of the dwarves in the fortress?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10801 on: January 21, 2010, 07:15:10 pm »

"Visualize" command

Though I'm not going to carry the banner for ascii only, the whole point of using it is symbolism.  You then use the best graphics card & processor known to man to visualize it...your brain & imagination.

I love the visualizers that people have worked on.  But I don't want my game limited by either their technical know-how or their own vision on what something looks like.  My forts look horrifyingly horrible in those things...but in my mind they are fantastic, epic, a paragon of dwarfdom.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10802 on: January 21, 2010, 07:20:31 pm »

"Visualize" command

Though I'm not going to carry the banner for ascii only, the whole point of using it is symbolism.  You then use the best graphics card & processor known to man to visualize it...your brain & imagination.

I love the visualizers that people have worked on.  But I don't want my game limited by either their technical know-how or their own vision on what something looks like.  My forts look horrifyingly horrible in those things...but in my mind they are fantastic, epic, a paragon of dwarfdom.
Um...he's talking about the thing that's in 40d, you know, right?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10803 on: January 21, 2010, 07:24:26 pm »

Was there something in my post that led you to believe I didn't?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10804 on: January 21, 2010, 07:33:41 pm »

Quote from: Dwarfu
It seems unrelated to the (V)isualize command. (Though I agree with the ascii benefit, and that (V) is presently pretty junky).
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10805 on: January 21, 2010, 07:43:36 pm »

I understand.  Maybe I thought about it more than I actually wrote about.

A broken visualizer currently.  I don't even think it is on the devlist...maybe UI arc or somesuch.  In my mind, fixing it even a little will just lead to more people wanting more and more things displayed.  A raucous chorus of "Show me exactly what this looks like!" - taking away dev time from actual meats of the game (or what I perceive as meats).

Which seems to be the near-same conclusion you reached in your parenthetical end.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10806 on: January 21, 2010, 07:59:15 pm »

So, no crazy graphics flamewar, please.

It was a foregone conclusion.  You should know that there are certain topics that can never just be mentioned in passing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10807 on: January 21, 2010, 08:05:40 pm »

Its shifted over to visualizers...

Speaking of which, I hope that Visual Fortress visualizer doesn't get sunk after the new release since we haven't heard from Baboonanza (the writer of the program) in quite a while.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10808 on: January 21, 2010, 09:34:56 pm »

This would be nice for all kinds of things, like just standing in a town and watching people walk around.

Eh, everything comes from somewhere.

It was a foregone conclusion.  You should know that there are certain topics that can never just be mentioned in passing.

Turning "graphics" into a dirty word, on a Forum about computer gaming, achieves what, exactly?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:39:17 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10809 on: January 21, 2010, 09:57:57 pm »

On the subject of rope ladders:

What's all the fuss about pathfinding? Is it REALLY that necessary that quadrupeds can't use them? I wouldn't really care if the "rope ladders" just acted like stairs that could be built downwards, so long as it doesn't make the game take even longer to release.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10810 on: January 21, 2010, 10:05:44 pm »

It should become very important when the game starts trying to figure out if undead elephants can climb that rope ladder that leads into your throne room.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10811 on: January 21, 2010, 10:12:02 pm »

Turning "graphics" into a dirty word, on a Forum about computer gaming, achieves what, exactly?

I don't think I said anything should be a dirty word.  If you were talking about a facet of graphics that's under current development (e.g. caste sprites), that'd be irreproachable.  But if a topic is a) extremely likely to derail the thread and b) only connected to the thread topic via a personal stream-of-consciousness, one might think twice before bringing it up, because this thread already gets derailed way too much and Toady is obligated to read all of it.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10812 on: January 21, 2010, 10:21:04 pm »

The topic is development, and the "future of the Fortress". So discussing possible directions in which that future might develope is spot-on.

As far as it derailing the thread, this isn't/wasn't "better grafx! LOLZ!". It's simply a speculation.

Until/unless the thread actually starts to derail, and I'm not noticing that it is, I think we're all still safely in the "mature conversation shared amongst adults" zone, where we can still share our thoughts and ideas in a free and democratic manner.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10813 on: January 21, 2010, 10:24:33 pm »

Generally speaking, there has been a few bad moments with ASCII vs. Graphics fights and they never end without a lock.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10814 on: January 21, 2010, 10:30:46 pm »

There's a lot of things like that in this world.

It's my understanding that censorship-either self, or imposed-has been found an unreliable and imperfect solution to these problems. 

People can either choose to fight over graphics, or choose not to fight over them. I'm hoping for the sake of sparing hurt feelings and avoiding disrupting this thread, that we can all find it within our better selves not to go down that road.
Pages: 1 ... 719 720 [721] 722 723 ... 1065