Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637503 times)

seigenblues

• Bay Watcher
  • bamf!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10620 on: January 19, 2010, 02:18:49 am »

Ah, MB.  I was guessing :)

Do you think any/many core's are getting checked off this time through?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10621 on: January 19, 2010, 02:21:17 am »

Do you think any/many core's are getting checked off this time through?

[...] I went through the Core/Req/Bloat items to see which ones were likely to be marked as completed.

Based on this, my prediction for the next version number is DF v0.31.208.55a.  I included all of the ones I thought probable and 1/3 of the others, so it's complete BS, but hey.

seigenblues

• Bay Watcher
  • bamf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10622 on: January 19, 2010, 02:26:40 am »

For Core's, here's a few more possibles

Core51: Sizeable game window
Core53: More Raws
Core73: Combat Overhaul
core93: Random megabeasts -- sounds like the forgotten monsters to me?

what do you think?  why/why not?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10623 on: January 19, 2010, 02:55:30 am »

Core51: Sizeable game window
Technically, the d# integration has not yet occurred. But assuming it does, this should be in.
Core53: More Raws
Do we actually have more raws? Off the top of my head it seems to me that we have expansion's to existing raws but no new ones. Material raws could be considered new, but since they've existed as long as materials hae, I'm hesitant to deem them such. Regardless, there's more Toady wants to get done here.
Core73: Combat Overhaul
You are mistaken. The wound overhaul is not the combat overhaul. This isn't getting checked off.
core93: Random megabeasts -- sounds like the forgotten monsters to me?
Yeah, that should probably be checked off, though I'm sure there's more Toady wants to do there.[/quote]

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10624 on: January 19, 2010, 03:00:28 am »

Core51: many game menus (including the main menu, shamefully enough) still don't support the expanded window, and we haven't heard anything to indicate that'll change.
Core53: there's a lot of stuff in the next version that's still "hardcoded for now, in the raws later," so I don't see that getting checked off.
Core73: no, Toady's said throughout this release that certain features will have to wait for the Combat Arc.
Core93: maybe possible, but this is clearly only a first pass on randomized megabeasts, and none of the religion/sphere stuff is implemented (the megabeasts can make use of existing religions, but they aren't a result of religion).

Do we actually have more raws? Off the top of my head it seems to me that we have expansion's to existing raws but no new ones. Material raws could be considered new, but since they've existed as long as materials hae, I'm hesitant to deem them such.

Custom workshops, venom syndromes, entity positions, tissues, body detail plans and creature variations.  Those last two are arguably more like subroutines for creature raws, but yeah, there's a lot of new raws any way you slice it.  And the expansions to creature/material raws shouldn't be brushed off either; those definitely count as "more raws."

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10625 on: January 19, 2010, 03:17:24 am »

was about to pull that up.
0.28.181.40d to 0.31.221.51a is my predict.

'course, the real pool's gonna be on which letter it'll stop on.
Core51:Sizeable won't be done because only some views work with it properly.
Core53: Can be done more.
Core73: Probably not- can't try for a neck shot yet.
Core93: Not really done to the extent it says.

Maybe: Core78: wilderness population tracking. He was looking @ it.
Some you missed, FKC, the especially-likely bolded
Spoiler: reqs (click to show/hide)

Some of the reqs/bloats are duplications, but none presently done except HFS-type deals, of which a dozen or so exist.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10626 on: January 19, 2010, 03:28:38 am »

Maybe: Core78: wilderness population tracking. He was looking @ it.

Nope, as you can see from the dev_next item for Core78, it's about reproduction for wild creatures.  The recent devlog stuff was about population tracking for the LAYER_LINKED civs, who aren't all necessarily historical figures.  There's probably some degree of overlap, but it's not done yet.

Req11: yeah, missed that one.
Req140 and Req439: haha, those got implemented after I made that list.  Good call.
Req540: nope, reaction classes are still just tokens in the next version.
Req207 and Req501: dunno either way.

And yeah, the "intervening armies" part of that bloat is exceedingly unlikely.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10627 on: January 19, 2010, 06:58:01 am »

Er, are you sure about that?  It looks pretty green right now.

Last occurrence of "green" as a verb on the dev log is 12/17/2009.  (or "finished", which has one on 1/11 but no note about greening the associated item)

Just a thought, but has there actually been any reason to change the original list since then? is it not still up to date, even though it has been a while to change? After all, the one line of 'underground features' that he is currently working on is fairly wide in it's scope ...

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10628 on: January 19, 2010, 08:54:54 am »

Finally he's gotten to the map features that he needs tweaking. Green could be happening soon...hopefully.

As for right now I wonder what the "laundry list" will mainly consist of.

Other than that, Scamps seems to be grown as expected. XD Prepare for possibly new megabeasts in the future!
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10629 on: January 19, 2010, 08:56:55 am »

Exactly. Maybe the elves expect me to gently place the wood in a soothing arrangement in my dining room and are somehow offended when I char it, and then burn it as fuel for my death machine. But seriously, within a few seasons, all the elves ever bring me is giant heaping piles of rope reed garbage cloth...
I've been considering trying to mod out rope reed. Perhaps then they would bring me decent things.

Morrigi: Should be possible.
Quote from: Shoku
Then seeing as all the workers are genetically female you could see how a lot of adventurers would want to visit the antman hives...
Genetically, sure, but in a way that functionally distinguish them from neuter? Also, iirc, mammalian characteristics are not in the next version, let alone antpeople having them.
Just call them a worker and anyone that knows about ants can decide what antmen look like for themselves. You'd just need all the communication stuff in place for a fraction of players to decide it was a huge pile of lesbians.

I'm glad you said nerd. I'm a geek and the two are very important, but people get them all confused and then I weep for the geeks who have been insulted that day.
The differences between nerd geek and dork are awfully recently constructed. It feels like expecting everyone to abide by my definition of pudding also being an adhesive such as the mortar used in bricklaying.

A tribes of hunters-gatherers are not a civilization for they have no significal government, large settlements, similar religious beliefs and much less sense of sovereign. While they may compose a nation (even if not united in a single group), they lack the unity to be considered a civilization.
If you're saying they don't have religions...
And sense of sovereign would exclude a lot of people from "first world" areas today...
I didn't say they weren't religious, I said they lack the similar unified belief system that can be observed in all civilizations, (like the greeks following only the greek pantheon, romans following the roman one, Byzantium, Babylon, etc). Almost every time, each tribe has a different set of beliefs.

And what do you mean by first world areas not having a sense of sovereign? As far as I know, the US, european countries, canada, etc, haven't given up on their territory or submitted themselves directly to the will of a foreign power. The EU countries haven't given up on their sovereign either, they just agreed to work togheder, but a country can defect from it if it wishes to do so, there's nothing absolutely preventing it from doing that.
Evidently not. I gave an example otherwise already but I can bring up other religious systems if need be. They certainly don't have the big characteristics of organized religion but that's much too much a degrees thing without the clear yes-no states.

The number of countries where the leader is actually sovereign is dwindling. In plenty the King or whatnot is more for show and you certainly can't say any of the various politician groups have indisputable power since it's really all about limits. If Obama was sovereign losing the Massachusetts seat wouldn't matter and we'd have socialized medicine already ::)

What you often see in tribal hunter-gatherer societies is that a tribe will worship something (the sky, for example), while other will worship something completely unrelated (ancestor spirits, an animal, etc), and the beliefs have no real cultural link with eachother.
Who exactly are you basing your opinions of hunter gatherers off of?

What you often see in tribal hunter-gatherer societies is that a tribe will worship something (the sky, for example), while other will worship something completely unrelated (ancestor spirits, an animal, etc), and the beliefs have no real cultural link with eachother.

How is this any different from two distinct larger civilizations having no cultural links with each other?

Because, say, a civilization is often regarded as more then a group of 400 people without permanent settlements and thus, no real sovereign?
You know those group fission and mix an awful lot right? You're not going to have ideas just end when they split up.
And besides that you seem to be approaching the dangerous edge of circular logic.

Pro tip: Most arguments on the internet stem from people using different definitions for the same words. Reduced to their fundamentals, the argument is simply over whose definition is better.
We're specifically arguing about the validity of his definition so you don't need to drop that on us like some revelation.

In response to several things: (spoilered because some people don't want to go off topic about anthropology)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So it's a civ at 3000 then?
-
Animalmen are a whole different level of horrible-beast when you picture them as people in mascot suits of the animal type.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10630 on: January 19, 2010, 09:59:58 am »

The new version seems to be bending things a bit with all the underground stuff. It's going to be really interesting to see how things turn out with it.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10631 on: January 19, 2010, 10:14:10 am »

Toady seems to be gradually going into the testing phase by testing out the underground stuff.

Just wondering out loud out of curiosity, any idea what breed of cat Scamps is or is he a 'mutt' or whatever you call a mixed breed cat?

Edit: From what he said in the devlog, sounds like the underground has the potential to be as lush as a rainforest, right out of 'Journey to The Center of The Earth'.

Edit2: Which gives me an idea for a question: Did Journey to the Center of the Earth (any of its incarnations in books and movies) inspire you for the underground stuff?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:22:36 am by smjjames »

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #10632 on: January 19, 2010, 10:55:28 am »

Edit2: Which gives me an idea for a question: Did Journey to the Center of the Earth (any of its incarnations in books and movies) inspire you for the underground stuff?

It might have been so. I'm reading the original (as on project gutenberg) and it is so packed with random details, musings, and geology..
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10633 on: January 19, 2010, 11:26:18 am »

As for randomised megabeasts. Who knows maybe he secretly plans on adding a few more kinds after this release.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10634 on: January 19, 2010, 12:06:10 pm »

Just wondering out loud out of curiosity, any idea what breed of cat Scamps is or is he a 'mutt' or whatever you call a mixed breed cat?

All indications are that Scamps is a Manx.
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 1065