Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Secret Fell Moods = Murder Mystery = Dwarf CSI  (Read 1123 times)

ChaosFollowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosfollowing.com
Secret Fell Moods = Murder Mystery = Dwarf CSI
« on: January 04, 2008, 09:30:00 pm »

Just had an idea while reading the bloats.

As fun and macabre as Fell moods are, what would happen if the ensuing murder became a mystery?

i/ No announcements related to fell moods.
ii / Legendary Status from Fell Mood isn't shown...a secret skill, for instance, that the dwarf claims not to have. The skill will show in any boneworking/leathercrafting, of course.
iii / The generated dwarf bone/skin artifact isn't carried by the killer, but stashed somewhere. Possibly in a cabinet/chest/etc. if they own one, or if not, just dropped after X paces or some other mechanism.

Now...you may very well witness the murder take place, in which case that's all well and good. But if you're not in the habit of keeping watch over your butcher's block, there's a chance you'd miss it completely.

A delayed announcement some X game days after the artifact is completed lets you know that the dwarves have noticed their absence. Leaving you free to hunt down the killer by either finding the artifact in a guilty location, or sending your dwarves one at a time to craft bones or make leather objects to test the workmanship.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Fell Moods = Murder Mystery = Dwarf CSI
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »

It could be fun...except for the fact that I would gain no enjoyment from getting each and every dwarf in my fort to make a bone craft. I mean, if I have 150 dwarves in my fortress this will be unbelievably dull and tedious.

ChaosFollowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosfollowing.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 01:14:00 am »

Which is why nothing's forcing you find the killer. It's a little optional extra, with the small reward of finding a secret legendary bonecarver or leatherworker. And even if you have a metric ton of dwarves, you might be able to find the culprit by other clues(artifact location, things you noticed earlier that looked strange, like a dwarf in a wrong workshop, etc.)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 01:29:00 am »

Micromanaging like this doesn't seem like it'd be fun at all, really.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 06:28:00 am »

They only people that go fell are farmers anyway, which are brown. Butchers are also brown. And the dwarves they hang arround with are also brown. And my food processing worshops are one door away from the farms, the stockpiles and the dining area. In short, unless i happen to scroll directly over the artifact container with [k], i wont find it. Too much work for too little reward.

Fell moods aren't the most stealty moods either. The dwarf sends out an insane laughter at the start and looks pretty clearly mentaly instable after that.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE