Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Listen up you lazy sods!  (Read 6327 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Listen up you lazy sods!
« on: January 19, 2009, 02:28:48 pm »

Alright you bearded momma's boys listen up. The King has decided in his infinite wisdom that the Mountain Home is too crowded as made evident by the whole "Fire imp fat fiasco" last spring. Why you worthless bunch can't tell between a flaming piece of debris and a tasty roast I'll never know. So in order to get your lazy collective ass's out of the way of the reconstruction team we've decided it's time to settle a new outpost.

I'll be taking 6 applications for the moment which must inlcude the following: A name, gender, skill or skills, a requested feature on the area we'll settle so long as it doesn't contradict an earlier request, and last but not least a single request. Now i"m going to specify what a request is for you mindless lumps of dirt. It must be within reason, I'm not going to have my ass burnt to a crisp by a demon because you wanted an adamantine cabinet. Each of you will be allowed to bring 200 pounds of personal belongings. (Includes your skills) Now you could be a worthless little piece of elven kibble and bring 100 pounds of soap or you could be useful for once in your miserable lives and bring some rations or seeds.

A proper fort needs a name and if our doomed to failure little community does somehow manage not to be slaughter in the first month I'd prefer not having a name assigned by those freaks down in the Registry. "StoneCramp" doesn't appeal to me much. So each of you origional 6 are allowed to make one suggestion which I will decide upon once we embark.

So in closing I'd like to wish you all good luck in our journey, I hope none of you sods get mained the first year because there's heavy crap I don't want to carry. Also a final note, if one of you decides fishing is a good idea I'm not jumping in to save you from the carp.
So basically to recap
*Each of you gets 200 points to spend on anything
*You'll be allowed one request, from a skull shaped bedroom to your own personaly greenhouse. I'll try my best to get whatever you want
*I need a name and am open to suggestions
*The first six get to pick one feature from the embark screen as long as it doesn't contradict an earlier request, from a river to soil being the first layer or even an evil map. Also the first one to suggest a biome gets it.
*I'll post every year on the status if the fortress. Let me know if the roleplaying is to much and I can just talk normally.
*I'm also need a poll on whether we want to defend the fort with traps or do it the dwarven way with an active military
*Once I get migrants I'll start to add more people to the game if they want though the population will be capped at 50. I'll also accept requests from migrant players when they first arrive
*I'm using the dwarf Fortress Complete mod so read up if you want to know more http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=29264.0
* I mean it about fishing also, you take your life into your own hand!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 05:24:42 pm by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Listen up you lazy sods!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 03:19:27 pm »

Sounds fun.

Dwarf- Kyterra- female
Skills- Proficent Mason, Proficent Building Designer
Items- 10 turtle,10 sweet pod seeds,35 rum, 10 logs.(logs can be swapped out to help other dwarf's with needs)
Feature on embark- A layer that is Gabro.
Request- Turn a Kimberlite Vein into her room, furnished with kimberlite furniture.

Name Suggestion- Crazedgriffons the grim crypts

Edited for clarity on skills.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:30:23 pm by Hawklaser »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 03:23:27 pm »

Name:Crazy Joe; male
Skills: Profiecent fisherdwarf, profiecent fishcleaner
Items: 200 points worth of random assorted fish.
Feature on embark: River/brook
Request: A old shanty shack by the river where I can fish in peace.

edit: You can trade in 100 points of that for anything you might need.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:25:13 pm by woose1 »

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 04:17:11 pm »

Name: Fireheart
Skills: Profiecent Weaponsmith/Profiecent Armorsmith
Items: 200 points worth of rum or put the points toward something else we need
Feature: Magma
Request: Metal furniture in my room
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 04:20:12 pm by thunderclan »

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 04:34:46 pm »

Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 04:52:56 pm »

Dwarf- Virkrus- Male if possible, Vikryss If Female
Skills- Proficient Glassblower/Gemcutter
Items-5 leather bags with which to collect sand, 100 points worth of beer and 50 points worth of venison (Deer meat). If deer is unavailable, he'll settle for dog.
Feature on embark- Sand. He must have sand, or he will be absolutely useless.
Request- A room with at least 3 Clear glass windows.
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 05:12:38 pm »

I think I'd like a little hand in this.

Name: DirtBeard
Profession: Farmer(proficent growing, novice processing, novice gathering)

Biome request: coastal(IE: along ocean shoreline).
Feature: at least one level of soil that isn't just sand.(don't worry if not possible, or if the biome is my only request)

Use the rest of my points from embark for seeds, plump helmets are ok, but I'd like to see several smaller farms set up with the other types of embark crops as well. Eventually I'd love to see one smallish maybe 4x4 farm for each and every seed type(including above ground types in mini greenhouses). I'll put that as Dirt's goal personality-wise.

You can also use some of my points for a copper pick in case the last person dosen't want to be a miner, then you can draft someone for digging.

As to a name, How about something like:

Migrurerith Shatag Mabdug
OceanLabors The Cluster Of Ale

And I say traps are good, but limit their spread so it's not just totally overpowered. Would be great to trap some ocean going beasts and put them in glass terrariums for viewing.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 05:26:56 pm by Haika »
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 05:29:18 pm »

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 05:32:40 pm »

Feature on embark: River/brook
Request: A old shanty shack by the river where I can fish in peace.

Would you mind an old shanty shack by the beach instead? I've found a biome with everyone's requset except there's only a beach and no stream.I'll even try to catch a mermaid for yah and put her in a terrarium in your shack ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 05:47:44 pm by Smitehappy »

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 05:36:57 pm »

Name: Carpoco if male, Carpyki if female
Skills: Novice Miner/Novice Butcher/Competent Tanner/Novice Leatherworker
Other Items: 1 copper pick and 4 cats (and 3 remaining points to spend on whatever you choose)
Request: A room shaped like a cat (or a cat's head) somewhere in the fort.
Embark Request: "Other Features" if possible. If not, it's okay.

Name Suggestion: The Sacrificial Axe(s)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 06:05:42 pm by Zaithemaster »
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 06:39:35 pm »

Other Items: 4 cats

I'm not responsible for any kittens thrown into the ocean, it was Crazy Joe!!

I've also picked out a site. ImageShack is being uppity though so I'll have to describe it for now.
Hawklazer-You got your Gabro layer
Woose1- I for the life of my couldn't find a river with everything else everyone wanted so I hope you don't mind sea fishing
Thunderclan- You got your magma vent and a magma pool to boot
Vincent-You get your sandy beach for glass
Haiki- Beach plus different soil layers
Zaithemaster- I pretty sure the area I pick has "Other features" But guess who's gonna be the first civilian to be drafted if the military can't handle the demons. I'll give you a hint, he'll be the one being followed around by the cats ;)

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 07:39:09 pm by Smitehappy »

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 06:44:23 pm »

Zaithemaster- I pretty sure the area I pick has "Other features" But guess who's gonna be the first civilian to be drafted if the military can't handle the demons. I'll give you a hint, he'll be the one being followed around by the cats ;)
=D

But yeah. If it wasn't obvious, the cats are meant to breed a little and have their kittens slaughtered immediately to provide food and leather.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 07:41:55 pm »

Alright the embark are has been selected and the supplies have been bought. I was being forgetfull and forgot to name the fort so we ended up with "Laudedstockade" but oh well XD.

Here's the map upload to get a good look
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4394-laudedstockades-spr-58

My next post will the the review of the first year. Wish me luck!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 08:15:37 pm »

I suppose I'm too late to claim a founder, but am I still allowed to claim a migrant? If so, here is my submission, excluding the fortress name suggestion, starting supplies and map feature. (since those have been decided)

Name: Bubbles
Profession: Soapmaker/wood burner
Request: An outer wall made out of the giant soap blocks I will build

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 10:41:25 pm »

I suppose I'm too late to claim a founder, but am I still allowed to claim a migrant? If so, here is my submission, excluding the fortress name suggestion, starting supplies and map feature. (since those have been decided)

Name: Bubbles
Profession: Soapmaker/wood burner
Request: An outer wall made out of the giant soap blocks I will build

No problem, I'll add you in in the next migration wave. I also need a Brewer if anyone is interested as I'm trying not to changes peoples starting professions at all.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:02:36 pm by Smitehappy »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4