Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Experimental Goblin Fortress  (Read 1056 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Experimental Goblin Fortress
« on: January 19, 2009, 05:58:00 am »

I was curious about what it would be like to be sieged by dwarves, since they have the sieger tag.  Curiously, goblins do not, just babysnatcher, so I'm wondering what it actually does.

Anyway, I just added civ_controllable to goblins and genned a world.  I haven't embarked yet, but it's pretty nuts.  There were two goblin civs and two dwarven civs.  First, a dwarven civ (The Rag of Orders) conquered a couple of elven sites, and took over their two retreats.  Then, a goblin civ (The Plagues of Esteeming) conquered the Rags' original mountainhome.  Then the other dwarven civ (The Crypts of Craft) conquered the goblin infested mountainhome and claimed it, then steamrolled into the Plagues' starting tower and conquered it too.  Meanwhile, the other goblin civ (The Lone Ghoul) slaughtered one of the retreats belonging to the Rags.

That was all in the first 40 years of the world.  Gen stopped at 128, and they're all still at war.  The Plagues have no sites listed, but I can still embark with them.  The real kicker is the Rags - their only site is the once elven retreat they still own.

The goblins are listed as at war with Dwarves, ----- with elves and humans, and they have No Trade because they have no traders.  I'm too in love with the screwy setup to ditch the world and change that.

Now I jsut have to decide if I want to carve a proper mountainhome for the Rags, finish them off with a goblin adventurer, or rebuild the shattered Plagues of Esteeming, constantly under siege by all other races with no resupply.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental Goblin Fortress
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 06:04:26 am »

How will you tell your different goblins apart?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 06:14:24 am »

If you only added the civ_controllable, you'll possibly get goblin traders e'ery season, since they ha'e all four season tags. I know I did once.

As for another goblin discrepancy, they can make but cannot use se'eral size 7 weapons. This includes some axe-skill type weapons like halberds and great axes, which the game will possibly include in your default embark-iron, though.

You'll ha'e fewer embark points due to the game not being able to get the full default equipage(ex: the now iron axes are 400 less) before gi'ing you the 200 free points, and you can't take plants or animals or booze either.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 06:38:22 am »

You'll ha'e fewer embark points due to the game not being able to get the full default equipage(ex: the now iron axes are 400 less) before gi'ing you the 200 free points, and you can't take plants or animals or booze either.

Indeed, I started with iron greataxes.  Goblins apparently can't farm, so I can't take booze or plants, though I can have herbalists.  Not being able to take animals really sucks.  One cool thing, goblins can eat -man type creatures, so I'm bringing batman meat.  Tee hee.  Looks like I'll be relying on fish for a lot of food.

For that reason, I'm embarking on a spot with a stream.  It also has magma, sand, and lots of wood.  And it's got three biomes - two Untamed Wilds in woods and badlands, and a patch of Terrifying woodland.  I'll probably last out three seasons.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 06:50:10 am »

You make me want to get back to that 10x10 chasm gobfort I started. Ha'en't got any migrants, and about 20 pages of chasm critters visible (and a pond or ri'er invisible, I forget which it was). No GCS silk in stocks, so I might ha'e lucked out there- but then, I ha'en't played chasm before.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 07:11:40 am »

Well, there was nothing living in the area but a bunch of camels.  Not even any fish in the stream.  Gathered a bunch of plants around my initial hole, cooked meat and brewed drink, and everything's hunky dory.

Nevermind, a werewolf is about to maul my herbalist.  I think they'll manage to avoid each other.  Pity I have to go to sleep.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 07:14:09 am »

Kill the werewolf and make some werewolf roast.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 07:18:17 am »

Kill the werewolf and make some werewolf roast.

I'm trying to, so I sent my woodcutter/axegob after it.  The werewolf tackled him to the ground, then immediately put him in a chokehold.  Axegob's throat is down to yellow now, and the miner is rushing to save him.

EDIT: Axeman died, and the miner's head is broken.  You'd think I'd have learned my lesson about this sort of thing.  Drafting everyone now.  Dogpile on the werewolf.

EDIT: Miner killed him anyway.  Hope his head heals quickly, cause now I can't make any beds without him claiming it for a couple years.  Making a tomb for the axegob in a magnetite cluster.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 07:22:51 am by Aqizzar »

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 07:42:15 am »

I don't think you can butcher werewolves, or tan their hides. But you can make gauntlets from their bones.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 07:45:34 am »

note to self: "skilled" minergob + copper pick vs. snakeman = 6/7, unlike proficient minerdwarf + +steel pick+ vs. fire imp
Tilesets

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 07:53:15 am »

do your gobs have the BONECARN tag? (I think thats it but im guessing).  eating bones might keep you going.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 04:34:58 pm »

It's likely to result in a random high-skilled gob to choke to death on a bone, though.