Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23

Author Topic: Imperium Nova (space opera browser game)  (Read 35828 times)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
Re: Imperium Nova (space opera browser game)
« Reply #240 on: February 19, 2011, 10:26:44 am »

IN is in Java. I'd recommend Rails or Grails for a project like this.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 19, 2011, 11:58:40 am »

I wish there was an easy way to compare market prices for various goods inbetween the planets you have trade facilities on.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #242 on: February 19, 2011, 12:01:33 pm »

I wish there was an easy way to compare market prices for various goods inbetween the planets you have trade facilities on.
You could always do what I do. I have every planet's trade prices in an excel sheet with conditional formatting set up to highlight the 3 highest and 3 lowest prices for each trade good.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 19, 2011, 12:57:56 pm »

You could always do what I do. I have every planet's trade prices in an excel sheet with conditional formatting set up to highlight the 3 highest and 3 lowest prices for each trade good.

It's exactly what I'm doing too. xD

Trouble is that it just irritates me to have to drag off all the numbers.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #244 on: February 19, 2011, 01:03:29 pm »

Agreed. I only do it like twice per ingame month tho. I cut any route not making at least $25 per day and rework my routes trying to get more money out of them.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 19, 2011, 04:35:13 pm »

Quote from: Zealot
Learn your place. The others who were caught importing illegally were gracious enough to admit their error. Quite frankly this entitled attitude from many new players is starting to annoy me, dont be the straw that breaks the camels back. Rather than trying to antagonise a random big bad learn to play the game instead.

Hahahah.

I thought I was playing the game. :D

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 19, 2011, 06:25:53 pm »

Learn your place. The others who were caught importing illegally were gracious enough to admit their error. Quite frankly this entitled attitude from many new players is starting to annoy me, dont be the straw that breaks the camels back. Rather than trying to antagonise a random big bad learn to play the game instead.

Hahahah.

I thought I was playing the game. :D

I CALL FOR A WAR WE NEED A WAR, A WAR A WAR A WAR!!!!!
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 19, 2011, 06:28:13 pm »

See, I don't think any House in a feudal game should be able to have the outright power that most of these do. Sure, the Emperor could seize maybe a few more planets directly for himself than can subordinates etc, but being able to be at least 50x as strong as a small house? Hell no.

The strength should come from the Houses that follow you, not from direct power under your control. When you do stuff like that, you get situations like this where a single House could defeat most of the galaxy.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 19, 2011, 07:05:10 pm »

I am proud to say that I am making almost 9000$ a month.

I'm so happy.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 19, 2011, 07:07:46 pm »

USEC if your not in the league join it

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 20, 2011, 07:45:42 am »

See, I don't think any House in a feudal game should be able to have the outright power that most of these do. Sure, the Emperor could seize maybe a few more planets directly for himself than can subordinates etc, but being able to be at least 50x as strong as a small house? Hell no.

The strength should come from the Houses that follow you, not from direct power under your control. When you do stuff like that, you get situations like this where a single House could defeat most of the galaxy.

Hmm, that's correct, but I was thinking of each house being a feudal system of its own like countries. If we put it that way, then we can presume that each house has an untold number of other smaller houses beneath it working for it instead, and that the one house that rules most of the galaxy simply has that many supporters as well.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 20, 2011, 07:59:51 am »

This is some high-class roleplaying. I can already feel the immersion...

EDIT: Oh, and I'd love to help create "Fedualism In Space". That requires actually studying fedualism though...:(
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:02:38 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 20, 2011, 08:48:57 am »

I don't think that's the most important aspect of feudalism.  I think the most important aspect is the relationship between a working class without freedom and a landowning class.  It's possible for a feudal society to render the freedom of the nobility all but meaningless like in the France of Louis XIV or it's possible for the various nobles to be de-facto independent like in the later Holy Roman Empire.

What's really important is the cementing of the working class in place through legal restrictions tying them to their employers.  I would suggest that Higgin's Moon from the Jaynestown episode of Firefly is an excellent example of realistic space feudalism.  The mudders are legally obliged to labor for Boss Higgins and their relationship is very feudal as a result.  Higgens is much like a feudal noble, the mudders are like serfs, the foremen, manager and his prods are like a nobles staff and private army.  Even the independent barkeeper is much like the free men of a feudal society, who having a little independence and a little money perform an important role for all parties.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 20, 2011, 10:27:32 am »

This is some high-class roleplaying. I can already feel the immersion...

I know. I tried to keep in character during the entire thing, but he just didn't give a shit. :p

I think most of the "big players" play it like most people play any other browser game, instead of actually trying to roleplay. They just put on a facade of roleplaying in order to appease the GMs etc.

EDIT: Oh, and I'd love to help create "Fedualism In Space". That requires actually studying fedualism though...:(

Well, I know quite a bit about Feudalism. :p I've been working on game design for it. There're just a few things I'm stuck on, though. Like how to decide where to place players in the galaxy.

Hmm, that's correct, but I was thinking of each house being a feudal system of its own like countries. If we put it that way, then we can presume that each house has an untold number of other smaller houses beneath it working for it instead, and that the one house that rules most of the galaxy simply has that many supporters as well.

I wouldn't mind if it worked that way but, again, it doesn't. If a house had a bunch of planets under their jurisdiction and was able to build on those planets only, then that'd be fine. Instead houses can build willy nilly on other people's home planets etc.

Imagine you're a feudal lord. You have a "home city". You only have jurisdiction in that home city. You can build whatever the hell you like in that home city. If you go to another city, then you cannot build there because you do not have the legal right to (maybe players could do it all below board? As a subversive tactic, maybe?). You can also boss around your subordinates in other cities and tell them what to build.

Now you're a company. You have a home city. You can build in that city and ANY OTHER CITY YOU LIKE. You are not restricted by your legal right to a piece of land.

There's the difference.

I don't think that's the most important aspect of feudalism.  I think the most important aspect is the relationship between a working class without freedom and a landowning class.  It's possible for a feudal society to render the freedom of the nobility all but meaningless like in the France of Louis XIV or it's possible for the various nobles to be de-facto independent like in the later Holy Roman Empire.

What's really important is the cementing of the working class in place through legal restrictions tying them to their employers.  I would suggest that Higgin's Moon from the Jaynestown episode of Firefly is an excellent example of realistic space feudalism.  The mudders are legally obliged to labor for Boss Higgins and their relationship is very feudal as a result.  Higgens is much like a feudal noble, the mudders are like serfs, the foremen, manager and his prods are like a nobles staff and private army.  Even the independent barkeeper is much like the free men of a feudal society, who having a little independence and a little money perform an important role for all parties.

From a purely economic, political, social and... Pretty much every other -al, -ic and -ial factor you can think of, I have no doubt that this is true.

However, in the minds of the vast majority of people, if you say "Feudal" they think "Landed lords and ladies HELL YEAH!" and "HOLY SHIT MEDIEVAL ENGLAND IS SOOOOO COOL". I'm more leaning towards a close-to-HRE but more restrictive Feudal society, like most GALACTIC FEUDAL EMPIREZ are.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 20, 2011, 11:07:09 am »

If your making a game around houses a better one than imperial nova, take some inspiration from A game of thrones (book) seeing as though the book is about warring houses.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23