Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Where are the peasants?  (Read 3835 times)

Zerris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tarl's Place
Where are the peasants?
« on: January 18, 2009, 04:05:38 pm »

Is there a setting that allows me to have ONLY peasants show up? I constantly am getting dwarves that instead of being peasants are always some sort of craftsdwarf. Especially to those industries I don't even have up and running yet. With almost no just plain peasants for my forts.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the peasants?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 04:12:49 pm »

Dunno.
Aren't they just as good as peasants though?

just ignore their occupations and dump them in whatever cappacity you want them in.
Sure their occupation will be 'cheesemaker' or whatever untill they surpass it with another skill.
You can give them a custom occupation name, solving that cosmetic gripe. :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 07:35:29 pm »

I usually draft any dwarves without usefull skills, including peasants. If I have some large construction projects or smoothing going on, I'll order idlers to detail or masonry duties.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 08:39:18 pm »

No. It is the skilled immigrants that migrate to your fortress - the peasants are the skilled migrant's wives This is the leading reason for why the military have such a high birth rate. Most peasants who end up drafted are married and so produce children. The fact that they also end up "accidently" wrestling the clothes off other military dwarves is merely a coincidence.

The only difference between a peasant and a skilled dwarf is you can't do 1 armorsmithing or weaponsmithing job with skilled dwarves to make that their highest skill in case they get a strange mood. Otherwise, they are both able to be trained up in whatever you need easily enough.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 11:32:30 pm »

the peasants are the skilled migrant's wives

THAT'S why I ended up with so many kids in the military...
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 08:32:43 am »

No. It is the skilled immigrants that migrate to your fortress - the peasants are the skilled migrant's wives
Always the wives? I didn't think DF had the code to differentiate gender for anything except babymaking and marriage.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 12:02:20 pm »

No, its not always the wives. Its somewhat random which is a peasant.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 12:27:27 pm »

Aren't they just as good as peasants though?

Nope they all come as different colours, damn evil things those skilled labourers.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 12:29:52 pm »

Hi!

I am wondering why you insist on peasants. A skilled laborer already has some experience points towards attribute boosts. Thus, they have a headstart over a peasant.

Deathworks

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 04:12:27 pm »

Is there a setting that allows me to have ONLY peasants show up?

Nop. AFAIK at least.

Zerris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tarl's Place
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 12:27:30 am »

True they do thave skills however, it's usually on jobs I do not have or need yet. It would be nice if the metalsmiths didn't come till /after/ I built the first forge. Same with the jewelers when I have no jewels to cut.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 06:41:08 am »

Hi!

I am wondering why you insist on peasants. A skilled laborer already has some experience points towards attribute boosts. Thus, they have a headstart over a peasant.

Deathworks

Useless clutter on the skill list is unsightly. Plus they're of the wrong color for some time if you decide to retrain them

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 06:47:05 am »

Additionally, prior experience points interfere with gaming strange-moods.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 08:30:08 am »

i know one way you will get only peasents, you need just to remove ALL labor from the raws associeted to dwarfs, (on a sidenot it won't let you do anything in your fortress anymore so it migth be the case where " the cure is worst then the illness)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 12:39:16 pm »

Actually, removing jobs from the entity file does not prevent you from getting skilled immigrants, they will still show up. The skill just won't show up on their skill screens and you can't assign or remove the skill from their labors. But, you can still get them to do those jobs.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.
Pages: [1] 2