Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need world gen help/pre-gen world for my grand projects.  (Read 752 times)

shadowedintent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need world gen help/pre-gen world for my grand projects.
« on: January 17, 2009, 04:05:55 pm »

Hey gang, I've been lurking this forum forever but never felt the need to post, but i've spent 5+ hours trying to get a world that has a site I can use for a few projects, and am hoping maybe someone out there just happens to have the perfect world or can give me some advice on world=gen parameters. Here's what I need from the (f)ind desired location screen:

River (above or underground)
Flux
Magma Pipe
Chasm
Bottomless Pit
Other Features

The site will be home to 2 mega-projects. The first is simply a main entrance which is a hollow obsidian monolith suspended in the bottomless pit spanning all the pit's z-levels supported by various bridges with waterfalls falling through the middle and magma falls on the outside. There will be bridges to the top of the monolith with a trading post on top. This will be the only entrance to my fortress eventually.

The second project will be a large roguelike style dungeon encompassing about 10-15 z-levels, a section suspended over the chasm, and culminating in a tower climb with a boss fight on the top. The dungeon will be populated by caged creatures and goblins, with caged megabeasts as bosses. The goal will be to take a champion in full adamantine/steel armor and weapons, put him at the entrance, then (s)tation his squad at the top of the tower and watch him make his way through the dungeon to the top of the tower, fighting his way there. Each dungeon level will have a gate attached to a lever that will be closed behind him, and each level will also have pre-placed food, drink, and a bed designated as a barracks.

But i need to find a site with all the above first :(

Morberis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need world gen help/pre-gen world for my grand projects.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 04:52:34 pm »

I don't think a magma pipe generates enough magma to keep a magma fall large enough to surround a bottomless pipe running.

shadowedintent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 05:44:00 pm »

Hmm... maybe I can build a platform/pool to collect the magma and pump it back into the pipe and hope it doesn't over-flow. Thanks for the heads up on that, if anyone else sees any flaws in my plan that would cause my fort to turn into a molten grave of screaming kittens/dwarves, let me know. :)

Also, I was able to find a site on my 6th/7th hour of world-creation/embarking. It's got magma, HFS, bottomless pit, chasm, underground river, and flux in a 6x4 site. The world gen stopped at year 150 with the condition of only 50% of megabeasts needing to be dead, so hopefully i can get quite a few for my dungeon.

Question for the experts out there: Every site i've had with a bottomless pit/chasm/magma pipe has had them visible from the surface, but for this map supposedly having everything according to the find desired site feature, i don't see anything from the surface and wasn't able to get reveal.exe to show stuff properly and didn't feel like dl'ing the tweak utility that has the reveal in it.
I guess the question would be: is it normal for magma pipes and pits to be completely underground and not visible?

As far as my dungeon goes, this will be a very long project, but hopefully in a few months i'll have some screenies of it to post, and a savegame to upload when it's functional and my first champion is ready to conquer dwarfhack. (maybe I should create and adamantine amulet to be guarded by the last boss at the end?)

BirdoPrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 02:13:07 am »

Question for the experts out there: Every site i've had with a bottomless pit/chasm/magma pipe has had them visible from the surface, but for this map supposedly having everything according to the find desired site feature, i don't see anything from the surface and wasn't able to get reveal.exe to show stuff properly and didn't feel like dl'ing the tweak utility that has the reveal in it.
I guess the question would be: is it normal for magma pipes and pits to be completely underground and not visible?

I just recently started my first fortress that didn't have my magma pipe exposed. It's pretty normal, and can be really irritating. I don't know of any way to find your pits, but to find your magma pipe look for an 'obsidian cap' somewhere on the surface. If your area has natural obsidian, look for an area of obsidian that doesn't have any boulders on it. My experience was frustrating since I started on a sand desert and there was no easy way to look for my obsidian cap. Took me over a year of exploratory mining to finally find it :P

Your projects sound epic, love the nethack theme! Definitely keep us updated on your progress or just up the save when you're done!

Ultra-Towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immovable Object
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 02:29:25 am »

I don't think that bridges can support buildings.
Anyways, a good idea
Ask about our Noble-Extermination Death Machines!

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 07:59:22 am »

Someday, I'll find a volcano set atop a flat cliffface, and then I'll make a boatmurdered-style trap.

But anyways, no - bridges cannot support buildings. And if you want to find the pit and the pipe, for /sure/ - you'll have to use tweak/reveal. You can sometimes find them by looking for a cap, but not always - and the 'not always' is at least half the time, sometimes more. For me, my magma is almost always deep underground - even with my volcanoes. I almost never see magma in any sort of exposed position, and when it is, its still usually on the lowest (surface) z-level of the map.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 10:52:18 am »

If you don't feel like using reveal/making it work, make a copy of your game directory and mod dwarves to speed 1. Then, have them mine around the center of each tile (which is where these features tend to appear) on the bottom Z-level. Remember the locations of the features, maybe export a map, and go back to your regular directory.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.